Waterproofs.... Seriously ? Sealand/barber/harkila/deerhunter ?

Guest vin

Hello all.

I'm at that point now where I cannot get to the truth about waterproof hunting clothing.

So far I've tried Barber,Deerhunter,Sealand,and various cheaper brands like Jack Pike,Cragghoppers walking gear etc etc.

None of it has stood the test of time and none of it has been truly waterproof.(showerproof maybe )

It says on labels and merchandising ...Waterproof/breathable/lightweight etc etc....but it never is. ?

On Monday night I was out in a serious bit of wind and rain,I was wearing Sealand keeper jacket and trousers, For a normals days ferreting etc etc they have been Fine and so far the best for comfort and breath-ability..But In serious weather or rain = Useless.

Would I be better off with some sort of Rubber Mack on top of my Sealand.

I will say I have never used any of these treatments etc etc on any of them except wax on the barber.

how does all that work..? Do you put it in the washing machine ? is it a spray ? I've just washed my Sealand Suit in machine,Do I need to spend a fortune on treating it with something to make it waterproof ?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

400 for a coat,,,,I've spent far less on cars,,,lol

You won't beat an army gortex jacket for being waterproof BUT they are not as breathable as other jackets ... But get yourself a heli Hansen base layer top which sucks up any moisture and combined wit

If it's for walking about fields lamping/coursing you will not beat a paramo velez smock. Wash it regularly and nothing will keep you as dry and comfortable. The Buffalo special 6 shirt is also great

Like you, I think the ultimate outdoor hunting jacket is something of a myth!

Personally I wouldn't entertain deerhunter and the like at all for waterproofing, great for general cold/windy weather though imo. I've used Harkilla for a couple of seasons, beating, shooting, lamping and up in the Fells and I really rated that jacket for waterproofing, practicality, toughness, durability and looks. However, the sizing is ridiculous and unless you're 5'11"+ don't even entertain it! I also didn't rate it as being very windproof.

I'm giving a Ridgeline smock a spin this year... despite breathability being shite it's windproof and so far waterproof and MUCH cheaper than all the other stuff. So far I'm happy with it for what I bought it for.... Unlike a lot of folks that never take their coat off throughout the day I'm constantly changing my layers no matter what coat I'm wearing, so a light weatherproof outer like the Ridgeline is ideal for me.

All that said, I really think you'd be hard pressed to beat a good wax Barbour...... they're just not my cup of tea.

Hello all.

I'm at that point now where I cannot get to the truth about waterproof hunting clothing.

So far I've tried Barber,Deerhunter,Sealand,and various cheaper brands like Jack Pike,Cragghoppers walking gear etc etc.

None of it has stood the test of time and none of it has been truly waterproof.(showerproof maybe )

It says on labels and merchandising ...Waterproof/breathable/lightweight etc etc....but it never is. ?

On Monday night I was out in a serious bit of wind and rain,I was wearing Sealand keeper jacket and trousers, For a normals days ferreting etc etc they have been Fine and so far the best for comfort and breath-ability..But In serious weather or rain = Useless.

Would I be better off with some sort of Rubber Mack on top of my Sealand.

I will say I have never used any of these treatments etc etc on any of them except wax on the barber.

how does all that work..? Do you put it in the washing machine ? is it a spray ? I've just washed my Sealand Suit in machine,Do I need to spend a fortune on treating it with something to make it waterproof ?

If it's for walking about fields lamping/coursing you will not beat a paramo velez smock. Wash it regularly and nothing will keep you as dry and comfortable. The Buffalo special 6 shirt is also great but is not 100% waterproof, it works by keeping you so warm and sweat free the rain doesn't bother you. But if you are out digging, crawling through hedges, besting through rough cover then unfortunately a 100% waterproof,rip proof, completely breathable coat as yet to be made
  • Like 1

I do a lot of Digging with the Ferrets etc etc on the Dales is serious weather, but also lots of hard cover and brambles/Hawthorn/Gorse... Nothing except wax barber can stand the hard cover.but that's sweaty when digging and not at all breathable.

I also do a lot of lamping with dogs walking long hours,which could be ok in waterproof hiking type gear until you need to climb a fence or barbed wire...then your foooked.

Vin your looking to hard,,,,the most waterproof stuff ain't always the most breathable ,,,,them Dpm gortex over trousers that our army use are very good,,,wear joggers underneath mate,,, I'm lead to belive that the same jacket is good as well,,,,ask socks mate

I liked them fleck tarn gortex overt trousers ,,,bib and brace style,,,but they are thinner than the Brit ones,,,, good thing about you is,,,,you will get a pair to fit ya..

I used to use cragghoppers mountaineering pants and a Hoggs wax jacket never once got wet and the pants stood up to brambles and everything else. They finally came unstuck one night on barbed wire when I tried to hop a fence in the dark and went head first into the deck hanging by my leg :laugh: the jacket I still have and it's coming up 7 years old still waterproof etc.... Looks like shiit though :laugh:

You won't beat an army gortex jacket for being waterproof BUT they are not as breathable as other jackets ... But get yourself a heli Hansen base layer top which sucks up any moisture and combined with a gortex jacket you won't go far wrong ... To be honest I wear a thin shirt under my gortex if I know I am going to be working hard so I don't overheat to much ... The good thing about an army gortex jacket is they are wind proof so even if you sweat a bit you will still stay warm .......

• Like 3

You won't beat an army gortex jacket for being waterproof BUT they are not as breathable as other jackets ... But get yourself a heli Hansen base layer top which sucks up any moisture and combined with a gortex jacket you won't go far wrong ... To be honest I wear a thin shirt under my gortex if I know I am going to be working hard so I don't overheat to much ... The good thing about an army gortex jacket is they are wind proof so even if you sweat a bit you will still stay warm .......

:thumbs: Though I'd bang the Paramo trail shirt under that or anything else, fantastic kit... :yes:

JMHO but one of the best waterproofs is dirt.

I've never washed a hunting coat in my life and find that they get better with age, like a fine wine.

Until they're threadbare and then they let every thing in, both wind and rain, then it's time for the bin.

I'm always suspicious about the amount of hunting someone does if they say they have a coat that never let the rain in.

• Like 1

If its breathable then it aint waterproof,simple as,if it lets the air out, then when under pressure from the elements its going to let the water in,at best they are shower proof and should be labelled as so.if fully water proof you will problebly end up just as wet from condensation anyway,A merino wool base layer,micro fleece and decent top layer is what id go for and a dry set of gear or two back in the motor is what I opt for.