Pike Fishing

Can anyone give me the brief run down of what sort of stuff I'm likely to need for a spot of pike fishing?

Would a carp rod and reel do?

What sort of b/s line would i need?

Do people still use trebles for pike?

That sort of thing. Any info much appreciated.

Thanks.

How are you gonna fish for them? No point telling you a carp set up will do with 15lb line if your gonna go spinning for them.. Hard work spinning with a carp set up, but would be fine for some dead baiting or live baiting. Tackle wise, its best to check venue rules otherwise trebles and trace will do just fine.

Spinning would involve standing up doing stuff. You know that's not my cup of tea. :laugh:

I was thinking deadbaiting, but then float or leger? Still water or river?

it's something I always fancied doing, but never got round to.

I'd start by plug fishing the local river. If it's anything like the rivers around here, there'll be loads of smallish Pike to have a go at. Due mainly to the cleaner water we have nowadays. Catch a few that way, then you can work your way up to Llandegfedd.

The gear you used at the comp would be ok i'd think. Just some stronger line, a wire trace and some forceps required. :thumbs:

• Like 2

The forceps are a must, I was once bitten by a 12 lb pike outa lough Heaney trying to unhook with no forceps it just got me on the thumb and the claret was flowing pumping with every heartbeat

I believe they have an anticogulant in their gillrakes and teeth that makes the smallest wound off one bleed like mad.

Carp rod with reel, 15lb mono is fine with suitable wire leader. Then you need forceps, side cutters, shallower net than a carp net, unhooking mat. Then all the terminal tackle such as wire leaders/snap tackle, floats, leads, beads, swivels etc. But most importantly go with someone who knows how to unhook pike properly. The amount of pike I've caught with wire traces lodged right down in their gullet is unreal. All removed by me tho! Strike early and risk missing a fish rather that leaving it makes life a lot easier. A big pile hooked deeply is much easier to release than a small one hooked deeply!

• Like 2