Members Of Thl........something Else For Charity?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The same people will end up winning every month as some people can naturally write and others can't so no matter how fantastic a day out you have had if you can't put it down on paper legibly then you

Don't send them to DARCY they will be in a book next year ............

Keep the rules very relaxed and let everybody play to their strengths I say....   Some folks might be a crack with the camera and make it more of a illustrative story/article, some people might have

The reason I asked as there was a similar thing on another forum about 5 years ago, and all the entries became the intellectual property of the publisher, in this case it is the hunting life who would own the publishing rights of each and every entry.

I am willing to be corrected if I am wrong, I will do some digging and see what I can find.

TC

• Like 1

Do you have to actually catch something to enter? ...

Sounds like a good idea, although if I took the time to write something and I didn't win or receive high praise for my efforts , I'd probably give it up. But see how it goes eh. Lol. I've only really written one maybe two write ups and the effort was unreal, put me off doing one again..but I feel I'm ready now.if anyone's got any photos of good hauls pm them over please I got a story to write.

You don't have to catch to have a good day/night.

• Like 2

anybody can write an article even if someone else has to tweak it a little on their behalf, perhaps some of the more clued up members could help anyone who feels they need it. :hmm:

everyone pm paul, 50 articles will keep you busy :laugh:

make it fair, send that gimp darcy 49 i will do the other one :laugh:
Don't send them to DARCY they will be in a book next year :laugh: ............

Why not try and get the top ones published into a little book or somthing sell them on money they make give to a chosen charity (just a thought ladys and gents)

anybody can write an article even if someone else has to tweak it a little on their behalf, perhaps some of the more clued up members could help anyone who feels they need it. :hmm:

everyone pm paul, 50 articles will keep you busy :laugh:

make it fair, send that gimp darcy 49 i will do the other one :laugh:
Don't send them to DARCY they will be in a book next year :laugh: ............

Why not try and get the top ones published into a little book or somthing sell them on money they make give to a chosen charity (just a thought ladys and gents)

tales from hunters lives.

I tend to agree with Socks about it being the same people winning time after time.

Personally, I love to write up my sessions, but I'm usually knackered and it comes out as slurred, tired eyed, dribble. And LOTS of it. Also, I doubt anyone actually reads it. I think I get people taking pity on me and posting "Nice write up" because nobody else has commented on my essay of a write-up haha.

I think it'll be a great idea. Many people will enter the first one for sure, but if Socks is right, there will likely be a steep drop off in the entry rate if it is the top 3 winning time and again. Which would be a shame.

Competitions, photos, drawings, carvings, and stuff like that, would be awesome in a book.

I'm really getting into Ian Niall's books at the moment and the disbursement of text with pictures of wooden carvings, really breaks it up and provides another dimension to the book. What about including things like that in a competition? Wood carvings of country scenes. Photographs of country scenes and wildlife. Drawings or paintings too.

The book idea is awesome! The name is already there "The Hunting Life - Adventures 1", and I'm sure it would be purchased by at least those whose articles are published, and maybe family members. It could be a compendium of short stories. Rights go to THL, but each author holds the rights to their own work for competitions on other forums, just not for paper publishing...just a thought, but would need to be revisited and clarified.

I reckon you could run a competition for added extras to go into the book, like a picture competition £1 a photo or wood carving entry at say...£3.58 (I have calculated this specifically...honest haha). Then the winners go into the book, maybe a few extra pics and the alike in an appendix at the back, or held to one side for another book/competition. These kinds of things should have a top 5 plus honorable mentions.

This sort of system would allow the less literary interested/inclined to show their expertise and put those towards the book project. A lot of good hunters would skip school and hunt, so you probably wouldn't expect literary genius...but there are always exceptions to the rule. However, they might be amazing at aiming a camera, painting, or something like that, as well as hunting. By making it a written only competition, you could be cutting out some of the best hunters on here. So a competition for anything country/hunting based would bring a wider appeal to the forum, and involve more members, plus provide a greater scope to any competitions held.

Sorry, another long winded post....as usual.

• Like 1

That's why we need ideas. Keep them coming. :thumbs:

How do we ensure the same people don't win time after time? How do we tweak the rules so it isn't about literary flair, and more about the actual hunt/day/night/project.whatever.

Ideally everyone would be in with just as much of a chance as the next person.

That's why we need ideas. Keep them coming. :thumbs:

How do we ensure the same people don't win time after time? How do we tweak the rules so it isn't about literary flair, and more about the actual hunt/day/night/project.whatever.

Ideally everyone would be in with just as much of a chance as the next person.

I think it would be good to try and encompass as much of the 'country lifestyle' as possible. Maybe a country cook-off (The Great THL Bake Off haha) or something like that. Then if you have a rabbit shooting story, pop a recipe to the end of it? The options are numerous. You could even do collaboration work between a photographer and a shooter, or a scrivener and a trapper, or something like that. So you could have a 'best collaboration' competition. This way a couple of novice shooters could help the sport's profile grow, or a person new to shooting, but with a passion for cooking, can really add a new dimension, if they work with a more experienced shooter/trapper/forager to get new ingredients to play with. The possibilities are nearly endless, but it's the implementation that'll really push things forwards.

It's also about making things appeal more to other people. For example, trapping. I've gotten into it recently, and it's truly fascinating. But there's loads to learn. Introducing newer parts of the whole will do a huge amount for the forum, it's members, and the lifestyle in general.

What about a competition for "Why The Hunting Lifestyle?" Where people can base their argument for the hunting lifestyle, and it can then be put as a Chapter 1, in a book. Which then gets a competition to write up or develop that idea..for example:

I shoot because......, which means I can........., this allows me to get back to my roots so that if...... Blar Blar Blar.....

I trap because........., so I can get free, organic, free-range, carbon neutral rabbits for the pot......blar blar blar........

The country life means to me.........