Last Night

smithie

mr wilks and myself had agreed to meet on some land we dont do often at 10.30pm, i got there early as i always do and was pleased to see that the conditions were in favour of the netter and not the rabbit as it has been on the last few outings. the wind was blowing strong and from the south, cloud covering the moon and both mr wilks and myself were feeling a little confident. so we had a little chat about what drops to do and how we would get in to place and then behind the rabbits to walk the field driving the rabbits to the net. we had 3 possible drops lined up just incase and im glad we did.

its a big parcell of land and we was parked on the roadside behind the hedge row at the bottom, we wanted to be top side so that we entered from the north but the keeper can see our cars were we was parked and with this in mind we decided to wak around the road and doing a mile or more before we got to the north side of the land. we entered the field and had to walk through a gateway wich was a wet hole, i had my new ish boots and did not really want to take this route, it was the only way to get in to position so i tiptoed trough the mud (like a fat fairy) trying not to make much noise as the mud tryied sucking my walking boot from my foot. this drop had a plumb wind and almost 100 yd long, both mr wilks and i had a new 4 1/4 inch 4z 50 yd net from Nelson and both eager to catch a rabbit to cristen the net. so both nets were run here being favoured over the older ones in the coat.

peg after peg was going in, the the net running out well. before i knew it the first 50 was out.i took a net from my coat and past it over to wilks, he gave me the end pin back and it begins again, peg after peg going effortlesssly in to the ground but ocasionly the tread on my boots was catching in the mesh. this does not happen in my wellies as the tread is biger and rounded with miles and miles coverd in the night. ( note to self, buy some more 10 quid wellies). once the net was out both of us walked in to the next field and down to the bottom, through the hedge and back up to the net banting the field and hopeing to push a rabbit or two in the new nets. unbeleivable, it was empty

we picked both nets up and moved across 2 fields and down 1 were again we run the nets against a hedge but this hedge had some crap infront, mainly leaves and twigs so we had no choice but to step out in to the field 7 or 8 yds to run the net. again we walked down a field to the side and to the bottom of the field with the net in. this field had a double gate the bottom so we ran a 50 yd on the outside of the field gate. this had the wind blowing the wrong way but the net had more chance of catching like that than sat in our jacket pockets. again we walked the field mr wilks walking the left and me the right. didnt get far up the pield and i heard the telling squeel of a rabbit halted in its bid to escape. carried on up the small field to the nets and again EMPTY. but we did get the one so we were not blanking tonight but unforunatly not in the new nets

it was geting late but we decided to make our way to another field. mr wilks being the athlete poped over the 5 bar gate no problem, me being fat and tired wasn't so graceful,l but over i got. we had decided to run 2 50 yd nets here although we did have more. it was a bit of an educated guess to tbh as knowing were the warens are helped with the desicion. the field could probably have taken 3 x 50 yd nets. again we ran the nets, slow and steady keeping close as we could to the hedge without collecting crap in the net. we walked the field with one of us being more advanced than the second in the hope we could guide more to the net than we did past the net. i think it worked well as we had 8 in the nets and the new new were now christaned.

we didn't have to walk far to the motors as we had made our way back as we progressed though the night. a quick chat and away we went

dark nights are soon enough so hopeing for a bit more of the same

9lastnight_zps9fe4093d.jpg

• Like 13

Like i said smithie (when i eventually arrived :icon_redface: )..It didnt matter whether we caught or not as the conditions were perfect last night, it felt good to have the wind in our faces for a change and netting for the fun of it rather than "because we have to ;) "... The nets went out spot on and were hanked up perfectly :laugh: i wonder who does that ?.Your turn to be the runner next time :D .

• Like 1