New Jacket - What Would You Recommend?

I'm after a new jacket for beating and shooting in. It must be absolutely waterproof, and breathable. Lightweight would be helpful too. At present I have a Mad Dog camo jacket, and a tweed coat, but I want something different. I'm not too bothered about price - I know we have to pay for quality. Any suggestions?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You will have to make a compromise somewhere. No coat tough enough to last through a beating season, in heavy cover, is breathable enough to not make you sweat. The only waterproof and really breathab

the ridgeline is waterproof but about as breathable as a bin bag

I agree with Bosun 11.

the ridgeline is waterproof but about as breathable as a bin bag

was considering a Ridgeline Monsoon Smock for bashing about in tbh. lamping/mooching. Not sure i will now though. Plus sizing seems a bind.

After years in the 'wilderness' of new fangled materials and words like 'wicking', I now think I've come out the other side, with the knowledge that most are simply gimmicky shite, not robust enough and fail within a season or two of daily graft in the field....

For a all-rounder that has past proven to me of its durability, I'm going back to Barbour.... :yes:

Thanks for all your advice. I've been having a look at the John Norris website, and I'm tempted by the Seeland Keeper's or Woodcock jackets. Has anyone got these, and how do you rate them? Incidentally, I used my Barbour Border jacket last Saturday (my first days' beating of the season), and it poured down! The jacket, although recently re-proofed, became stiff as a board, and it isn't all that waterproof...hence my quest for a more suitable garment.

You will have to make a compromise somewhere. No coat tough enough to last through a beating season, in heavy cover, is breathable enough to not make you sweat. The only waterproof and really breathable coats out there are Paramo. But they would be destroyed after the first drive.

• Like 3