hogging in the uk

Guest patterdale

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

im not sure it would be legal mate so id watch what you were saying . if i was closer it would be of intrest to me to but id be shooting them obviously ;) ab's and the likes are used for boar in america etc so if u had a keen enough dog .... you get the picture . my 6 month old ab is huge and he's twice burst in beside the ferrets to rag there squirel and rabbit he's mad and is trying to bush with my terrier pup so if he could catch one he would do the job pre dog hunting ban . most big hound's /ridge backs big bull crosses /alaunt/ca debau/dogo's anything with the power the drive and the guidence will take them .

Guest patterdale

would a english bull x greyhound be any good? as i am in the uk i can not get a dogo or pitbull but i could get a ridgeback or a ambull. could i just get a foxhound and bring it up to track boar instead of fox as a bay dog... thanks,patterdale

would a english bull x greyhound be any good? as i am in the uk i can not get a dogo or pitbull but i could get a ridgeback or a ambull. could i just get a foxhound and bring it up to track boar instead of fox as a bay dog... thanks,patterdale

Wouldn't be my first choice of cross (or even fifteenth) but you should perhaps think more about specific dogs than breeds. There are certainly types which could do the job hypothetically speaking of course :angel: already available. Sighthound-bulldog crosses in various proportions.

Moreover, you'd be surprised what you might find if you know where to look.

You should be thinking stealth, so not anymore than two dogs and a bit of extra weight doesn't hurt with that in mind (just out walking eh?). Scotsman's Alaunt looks the ticket but don't know how he performs.

You want a smart dog with prey drive around 30-35kg. Not an overtly game dog which is stubborn.

But why on Earth would you need a lugger in the UK ? :whistling:

to those who know...i,d be interested to know how many boar you think are running wild in this country??

i watched a programme a while back on the country channel i think,and im sure the numbers they estimate were around the 300 mark in the uk..if thats right it doesnt seem worth the bother looking into buying a dog or breeding soley to tackle them :hmm:

Guest john2007oliver
to those who know...i,d be interested to know how many boar you think are running wild in this country??

i watched a programme a while back on the country channel i think,and im sure the numbers they estimate were around the 300 mark in the uk..if thats right it doesnt seem worth the bother looking into buying a dog or breeding soley to tackle them :hmm:

I reckon if there only about 300 they should be left for a couple of decades to populate. Maybe the antis could do us a favor and release some more :whistling: Then all game is fair game :victory:

I RECKON THERES A LOT MORE THAN 300 ID SAY THERE 300 AROUND OUR AREA IE FOREST OF DEAN, SOMERSET, NORTH DEVON WITHOUT GETTING INTO DORSET AND DOWN TO KENT, IT GETS ME EVERYTIME WE HAVE GOT TO THEM THERE IS ALWAYS PIGLETS NOT SURPRISING THERE SPEADING SO FAST.

IT WAS OVER 100 THAT GOT RELEASED IN DEVON NOT SO LONG BACK AND I DONT THIK THEY CAUGHT THAT MANY, HAPPY HUNTING JUST BE CAREFULL WILD PIGS ARE NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED

Guest patterdale

it is not a blood sport is is a effective way of controling pests. the damage wild boar can do in a night is horrific. they can ruin a field of wheat in a night. i only asked about what breed of dog is best to hunt them with. sorry if i caused any offence

it is not a blood sport is is a effective way of controling pests. the damage wild boar can do in a night is horrific. they can ruin a field of wheat in a night. i only asked about what breed of dog is best to hunt them with. sorry if i caused any offence

depends a bit what you whant but if you ask me .. get a jagd terrier , breed it to a lakeland or a pat and hup you have a good boar pack ,,,oh yes find some hunters