hogging in the uk

Guest patterdale

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like there's a few mixed views on this one.

I'd love to try a boar hunt sometime, I live in Hampshire, England and i'm not sure that there are any near my neck of the woods. I'll have to travel to the Forest of Dean or Dorchester by the sounds of it.

I'd like to get a fire arms certificate to shoot live rounds but I don't know where to start and wouldn't know what to apply for. I need to find land first too to take down the prey before I get too hasty. Can anyone offer any advise about applying for one? Do I have to live in rural areas or can people who live in urban areas still apply? :)

Noticed there are some mixed views about hunting boar with dogs on this post. Just like to offer my 2 pence, that if hunting boar with dogs is illegal, then I don't really think that people should be doing it. The minority who break the law get the majoriy into trouble most of the time as the law gets stricter and tighter. Obviously there are some occasions where if no-one knows about it, or no-one is put at risk then it shouldn't theoretically be a problem. However, at the end of the day, the law's the law and should be abided by. So Troy, if you're breaking the law and causing trouble then i'm sorry to say but you'll get yours eventually. I think that some of your posts have been a bit rude and frankly shocking. :angry:

..rant over...

But seriously, if anyone can help with the FAC then it would be greatly appreciated! 8)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd love to try a boar hunt sometime, I live in Hampshire, England and i'm not sure that there are any near my neck of the woods. I'll have to travel to the Forest of Dean or Dorchester by the sounds of it.

I'd like to get a fire arms certificate to shoot live rounds but I don't know where to start and wouldn't know what to apply for. I need to find land first too to take down the prey before I get too hasty. Can anyone offer any advise about applying for one? Do I have to live in rural areas or can people who live in urban areas still apply? :)

Noticed there are some mixed views about hunting boar with dogs on this post. Just like to offer my 2 pence, that if hunting boar with dogs is illegal, then I don't really think that people should be doing it. The minority who break the law get the majoriy into trouble most of the time as the law gets stricter and tighter. Obviously there are some occasions where if no-one knows about it, or no-one is put at risk then it shouldn't theoretically be a problem. However, at the end of the day, the law's the law and should be abided by. So Troy, if you're breaking the law and causing trouble then i'm sorry to say but you'll get yours eventually. I think that some of your posts have been a bit rude and frankly shocking. :angry:

..rant over...

But seriously, if anyone can help with the FAC then it would be greatly appreciated! 8)

sorry i have not answered this piece by you i think i up set the hawking lot on the falconary bit .i was band from this forum for a month but now im back i dont know how long for i havent decided yet .reading this i think you should just stick.to what you know and that does not seem to be a lot .there are enough idiots runing around with high powered guns with out adding you to the list as well .on about the law being abided by tell the MP who rode his push bike up a one way street and through a red light some how i dont think he will be dealt with by the courts even after it being shown on public TVso you and the rest can shove the law up your ASS if you dont like what i wright DONT READ IT THEN

:icon_eek: what a loser...

..rant over...

sorry i have not answered this piece by you i think i up set the hawking lot on the falconary bit .i was band from this forum for a month but now im back i dont know how long for i havent decided yet .reading this i think you should just stick.to what you know and that does not seem to be a lot .there are enough idiots runing around with high powered guns with out adding you to the list as well .on about the law being abided by tell the MP who rode his push bike up a one way street and through a red light some how i dont think he will be dealt with by the courts even after it being shown on public TVso you and the rest can shove the law up your ASS if you dont like what i wright DONT READ IT THEN

...What a loser!! :icon_eek:

• 2 months later...
I RECKON THERES A LOT MORE THAN 300 ID SAY THERE 300 AROUND OUR AREA IE FOREST OF DEAN, SOMERSET, NORTH DEVON WITHOUT GETTING INTO DORSET AND DOWN TO KENT, IT GETS ME EVERYTIME WE HAVE GOT TO THEM THERE IS ALWAYS PIGLETS NOT SURPRISING THERE SPEADING SO FAST.

IT WAS OVER 100 THAT GOT RELEASED IN DEVON NOT SO LONG BACK AND I DONT THIK THEY CAUGHT THAT MANY, HAPPY HUNTING JUST BE CAREFULL WILD PIGS ARE NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED

HA MATE , I HUNT PIGS IN NEW ZEALAND AND IM IN THE UK AT THE MOMENT , TRYING TO FIND A LOCAL HUNTER TO TAKE ME FOR A HUNT BEFORE I HEAD HOME ON THE 4 TH OF AUGUST , I WAS JUST PLANNING A TRIP TO THE DEAN FOREST AND PICKING UP A BULLY CROSS FROM THE DOG POUND ON THE WAY !!! BUT HOPEFULLY SOME LOCAL MIGHT HELP ME OUT . CHEERS DION PH 07503619866

• 1 month later...
:big_boss: i live near the forest of dean,i would use a good american bulldog over any of the other dogs mentioned, Donator how far you from hereford mate,be interested in meeting up to take dogs for walk pm me and ill give you my email and phone number,here is one of my pups i bred which i recently got back200.jpgps nt for stud or sale Edited by eric
  • 6 months later...
Has anyone any experience of hunting boar with the large breeds?

I noticed someone mentioned an Alaunt, I have a Cane Corso and, while perfectly reliable with sheep (because we live in the Highlands) he has one hell of a prey drive and the best nose of any dog I have ever known, he flushes naturally and works the long grass like a pro, there's just nothing big enough for him, except the deer, he has tracked a few wounded ones for shooters, but ONLY tracking. (Before anyone complains.)

I'd been thinking of taking him on holiday to Spain or Estonia to try him with some boar hunting, does anyone have any experience of hunting pigs abroad? I've been out a few times in NZ, but have no experience in europe at all. From the looks of it the european pigs are a whole lot bigger than the Kiwi ones.

Any thoughts?

Hey mick. Im going to nz on feb 28th for 4 weeks. Im going pig hunting with my friend there for a weekend but would love to do some more! Do you have a contact for me please? Thank you.
  • 1 month later...
would a english bull x greyhound be any good? as i am in the uk i can not get a dogo or pitbull but i could get a ridgeback or a ambull. could i just get a foxhound and bring it up to track boar instead of fox as a bay dog... thanks,patterdale

put Argentino Blanco into U tube and have a look or click on one of the links. :clapper:

nasty feckers take on mountain lion and all sorts, seen one over here on the boar hunt, too agressive were my thoughts, but he locked down and held a boar I did not see it hapen but others did.

It was in the hunting mag and since then they are not allowed to use these dogs for safty reasons :feck: Typical you can buy any gun that you want and walk through the woods but not have a dog of the lead :tongue2:

would hate to see what happend if it came up agains other dogs wíth nothing better to do than try and piss him off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV6-IXdtZyk...feature=related

Cheers HTS

would a english bull x greyhound be any good? as i am in the uk i can not get a dogo or pitbull but i could get a ridgeback or a ambull. could i just get a foxhound and bring it up to track boar instead of fox as a bay dog... thanks,patterdale

put Argentino Blanco into U tube and have a look or click on one of the links. :clapper:

nasty feckers take on mountain lion and all sorts, seen one over here on the boar hunt, too agressive were my thoughts, but he locked down and held a boar I did not see it hapen but others did.

It was in the hunting mag and since then they are not allowed to use these dogs for safty reasons :feck: Typical you can buy any gun that you want and walk through the woods but not have a dog of the lead :tongue2:

would hate to see what happend if it came up agains other dogs wíth nothing better to do than try and piss him off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV6-IXdtZyk...feature=related

Cheers HTS

i use patterdale's and a jagd cross

Some posters have hit the nail on the head here. Using dogs to hunt is illegal in UK. Like it or not that's the law. Get convicted and you'll lose your dog, your vehicle, and kiss goodbye to you FAC or shotgun certificate. This is not the middle ages. Buy a feckin' rifle and do it right.

The only time it's appropriate to use a dog is in tracking a wounded pig.

P.S. You also stand a good chance of ending up with a dead dog and a well pissed off piggie!