hogging in the uk

Guest patterdale

is there anybody in the uk who hunts hogs. i no there are some in the forest of dean. does anybody hunt them and if so what breed or type of dog do you use?

Man i have just moved from Australia, i have hunted pigs all my life, i would be keen to get in contact. unfortunately my dogs are back at home, one is a bullterrior/greatdane and the other is a bullarab/bullmastiff/ridgeback. hoping that the bullterrior will be here within 6 months due to quarintine.

I was speaking to the lady who runs my local kennels and she runs a business importing pets in to the UK and she told me that there is no quarantine coming from Australia to Britain. I took my dog the other way and there was 30 days quarantine. I'll try and find out some more as she was adamant that the dog could just come straight over. I suppose there's the usual blood tests etc which will add to a wait.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine...-info/other.htm

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine...uroutes-air.htm

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine...s/vets_proc.htm

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is there anybody in the uk who hunts hogs. i no there are some in the forest of dean. does anybody hunt them and if so what breed or type of dog do you use?

i live in this area and i sometimes move them from one part of the forest to another to try and stop people shooting them i want them to get more established some of them have been traped and taged in the ear with a tracking device i move them about with the help of beddlingtoncross dogs they annoy but dont mixit

I will have to ask why you would admit to such an ill concieved plan, as if you live in the area you will know the damage they can do and all your doing is making a problem more wide spread, i know a landowner up there that has to give rebaits to thier tenants as its not fit to sustain the cattle through the summer.

P.S i would look into the legalities of your actions as doing that with any dog is not in the law and look out for compensation requests as more people know you are moving them on to thier land, just a few thoughts.

In Austria we hunt a lot of wild boars and we use dogs in professioal organized packs for these hunts.

What I can guarantee you is that if you have wild boars in UK in the nature it takes not more than 5 years and you will have a lot. They will replace other wild animals and you will have no chance if you are not able to stop the explosion in the beginning. I can give you a lot of these examples not that long ago in several countries in continental europe. In several parts in Germany they have become the dominant animal no mather how hard you hunt them today.

Regarding the dogs my personal opinion is you have some of the best dogs for these hunts in UK. We use Russell Terrier and from October til January our 5 Russells work at least two times per week. The traditional dog is the Jagdterrier from Germany larger breeds are not that typical, most of them are not fast enough (in reaction) and if they are sharp they get hurt very often in deep forest. Not more than one or two large dogs are used in one pack.

One nice boar shot in December can be seen here

DSC_4749a.jpg

If they search the next one it looks like that

neudau%2012-2006%20037a.jpg

And if our dogs catch one it looks like that

DSC_5489a.jpg

And the result of good working dogs might look like that

DSC_65219a.jpg

i live in this area and i sometimes move them from one part of the forest to another to try and stop people shooting them i want them to get more established some of them have been traped and taged in the ear with a tracking device i move them about with the help of beddlingtoncross dogs they annoy but dont mixit

Why...what is your objective, now and the future????

I know what your on about, and one of the chaps that was trapping them (western under penyard) area used to post on the stalking directory and its been over with for a while, im sure that you would eat more harmfull stuff at mc donalds.....

I RECKON THERES A LOT MORE THAN 300 ID SAY THERE 300 AROUND OUR AREA IE FOREST OF DEAN, SOMERSET, NORTH DEVON WITHOUT GETTING INTO DORSET AND DOWN TO KENT, IT GETS ME EVERYTIME WE HAVE GOT TO THEM THERE IS ALWAYS PIGLETS NOT SURPRISING THERE SPEADING SO FAST.

IT WAS OVER 100 THAT GOT RELEASED IN DEVON NOT SO LONG BACK AND I DONT THIK THEY CAUGHT THAT MANY, HAPPY HUNTING JUST BE CAREFULL WILD PIGS ARE NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED

Hey Topper,If you're getting into the pigs on a regular basis with your dogs and there are always piglets with them,then if you've got a dog thats not too hard why not catch a few weaner sized ones and ship them out alive instead of killing them?.You could let them go in a fresh area with suitable habitat or bung them in a barn and breed from them.I expect they'd fetch a few quid on the black market to someone who wants a few on their patch.Young 1982,trappa and bruno527 might be potential customers.

You could start trading as "Trotters" Independent Trading Company! Ha, Ha.

If they're giving you some sport why not give a bit back eh?.

in the forester newspaper it looks like defra are doing bugger all. the estimate is 50 boar.lol forestry reckon its double that .several litters been seen lately,talks of a cull are for either this summer or next year.but the end result looks like it will be left up to forestry to keep numbers in check like they do the fallow. the forester paper reckons we got the bigest population here in the uk,what do you lot think i always thought there were more in kent etc.

Why...what is your objective, now and the future????

reread what i wrote and see why

I read it, that's why I asked the question......ok lets spell it out.... what is your objective, now and the future??????

Are you hoping they will destroy the countryside and much wildlife or are you just pushing up the numbers and areas so more can be shot???

It was a simple question, an answer would be welcome....

IF ITS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH US WHY COME ON YOUR AND TELL US :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Hi appollo,With the greatest of respect mate they're dog hunters not shooters!Have you ever known a bedlingtonx that wouldn't mix it?

Please don't tempt too many of your nieghbours into action with their dogs.

If you don't mind defra f**king about with those drugs perhaps you'd like to volunteer your patch for more experiments.

Nice pics you posted of your patch for everyone to see!Dont tempt em mate.

I dont own any rights so cant tell any one they can inject anything or hunt anything with there dogs, the trouble is if people want to come onto a hunting shooting site and say things like i move boar around because i dont want them shot, dont you think that is going to get a few comments from people who have been given the chance to control them for the sake of peoples land.

None of us have the right to eradicate them but we have a duty to control them and chaseing them around peoples land and spreading the problem is not what its about, so if you dont want your motives questioned then keep them to your self......

I dont own any rights so cant tell any one they can inject anything or hunt anything with there dogs, the trouble is if people want to come onto a hunting shooting site and say things like i move boar around because i dont want them shot, dont you think that is going to get a few comments from people who have been given the chance to control them for the sake of peoples land.

None of us have the right to eradicate them but we have a duty to control them and chaseing them around peoples land and spreading the problem is not what its about, so if you dont want your motives questioned then keep them to your self......

if a governing body like defra cant control them what chance have you got

troy11

Who the F**k are you and what is your agenda....you come on here as a new boy with strange comments about shifting Boar around, spout off about doing what you want and it being nodoby elses business and telling everyone else they have no idea and can have no effect...but apparently you can.

As a very good friend of mine from Uni always used to say Put up, Shut up or f**k off...PLEASE!

Edited by Deker