Freya Female Harris Hawk

Out with hawkingyorkshire for a couple of hours today. Came to the first set and dropped the ferret in, a rabbit bolted but remained in the cover. I kicked the cover and the rabbit bolted out into the open but froze. Brads female flew it but missed and the rabbit set off again. My female gave chase and took it just before it got through the hedge

20141227_110558_zps2vhvng5p.jpg

The next set the rabbit bolted but made the mistake of freezing just outside the hole and brads female dropped down and nailed it

20141227_113830_zpsphl8jisr.jpg

Was a good stroll out

20141227_140815_zpsvxdzlqcu.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had freya out for a walk about with a mate and his new female today. Before long we spotted a hare and had a chase on that, both birds caught up to it but I let mine off a little late and my mates lac

Nice mate, my bird had one ferreting today

Kill number 1: And we're off, missed a rabbit after a determined flight. Then the ferret bolted two rats. A big and little one at the same time. The hawk took off the fist and smashed the first one a

Another rabbit today. Out with brad again. Rabbits were being really sly and hole hopping. Had one good flight but my female lost speed when she missed the first strike. Then i heard a rabbit trying to make it's way through cover. Let Freya off and as she got to the end of the bramble patch the rabbit bolted and she nailed it

20141231_133726_zps1lbush0w.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Cracking thread this lads the more i read and see it the more im looking foreward to owning and working 1 just 1 quastion really as my wifes interested in flying it aswell how do harris hawks respond to more than one person flying them or are the more of a one to one bird cheers ATB RT

Tell me about it, what with work, domestic stuff and the bloody weather, I have not had the redtail out for ages either, he was getting pretty fit and lamping really well, so I will have to try and build his fitness up again, then it will be the end of the season, sometimes, just now and again it makes you wonder if its really worth it ;)

It's terrible mate.

Finally managed to get out for an hour today, weathers just been ridiculous. Had a few flights but they were hard going and made it too tight for the hawk to do anything. Dropped the ferret in another set, rabbit popped half out the hole and Freya smashed into it from behind.

Despite it not being a great flight it was nice to be able to give her some warm meat after the two weeks she's had off. Downside to killing it though is that the belly was moving even though the rabbit was dead, gutted it and she was full of well developed bunnies. So I think that's it over on rabbits for me, gonna fly pigeons on the lamp from now until the seasons end I think

20150118_131251_zps0u3c01d1.jpg

Weather has been crap for me. Not just the odd days of bad weather but rain and winds lasting 2 weeks straight. I'm not too bothered to be honest though, I didn't expect much at all this season, flying a 4 year old bird that hasnt been flown let alone hunted. Things started off rough and at times I almost packed in but comparing now to what she was, she's a 1000x better. No problems anymore, easy flying and she's catching almost every outing. Looking forward to next season when she will be good to go from the off rather than spending months sorting her bad habits out. Gonna try get her following on better and get her as fit as I can. Hopefully see some good results