Freya Female Harris Hawk

Only one chase tonight on a rabbit that I managed to get reasonably close to hawk gave chase and smashed into the cover but didn't connect. Know a little place to ferret tommorow that should hold a rabbit or two. Then got Wednesday off so will go further afield for a kill.

Edited by youcanthide...BANG
  • Like 2

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had freya out for a walk about with a mate and his new female today. Before long we spotted a hare and had a chase on that, both birds caught up to it but I let mine off a little late and my mates lac

Nice mate, my bird had one ferreting today

Kill number 1: And we're off, missed a rabbit after a determined flight. Then the ferret bolted two rats. A big and little one at the same time. The hawk took off the fist and smashed the first one a

I would build up her confidence first on rabbit before going near a hare all the best

Not gonna bother with hare mate as said, in saying that though if I was going to go for hare I don't think I would start on rabbit. Personally I think conditioning them on rabbits for hare isn't the way to go because they are two totally different flights and a lot different in how they fight once caught. If I was gonna fly hare I would start with hare first so they don't seem a big step up from rabbits

My female Harris would baulk from them in daylight, but went after them and held onto them at night like her life depended on it.

• Like 1

Just got back from ferreting and a little gutted. Had two great bolts that the bird flew then just turned off from. One she should definetly have had. Think its due to lack of experience myself and the fact its some of the first live rabbits she's seen, also my mate who was ferreting brought his dog along and the bird was a little wary of him. Back out later on see if we can find her a rabbit. See what happens. Think some carcass works required for tommorow.

• Like 1

This birds driving me up the wall lol. Keeps flying over the glove and landing in trees behind me, does this a few times before she actually flies down. Shes chasing good but doesn't seem all committed. Took her weight down and she drops too low, take her up and her response is terrible. She's making it feel like a task to take her out.

Edited by youcanthide...BANG

Try flying a redtail :tongue2: then you will understand what frustrated is, look seriously, it is no longer about weight, the hawk is always looking for the easier option, as you would, dont feed her on the glove at all now, feed her on the lure, make her work for every mouthful, and as you want to lamp her, feed her in the dark under the lamp, I will bet next months wages she smashes everything, that is exactly what I found with my last female HH.