Freya Female Harris Hawk

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had freya out for a walk about with a mate and his new female today. Before long we spotted a hare and had a chase on that, both birds caught up to it but I let mine off a little late and my mates lac

Nice mate, my bird had one ferreting today

Kill number 1: And we're off, missed a rabbit after a determined flight. Then the ferret bolted two rats. A big and little one at the same time. The hawk took off the fist and smashed the first one a

Had freya out for a walk about with a mate and his new female today. Before long we spotted a hare and had a chase on that, both birds caught up to it but I let mine off a little late and my mates lacked the fitness to keep up and it got away. Then had a chase on a cock pheasant that disappeared into thin air. Carried on walking and by this time the birds were pretty wet from the falling snow. We spotted a group of rooks feeding under a tree the other side of a hedge, crept up and I let mine off, she flew into the group but missed then went up into the tree, the group decided to mob her ad land in the tree, she chased one out of the tree and took it with a mid air bind

20150121_101322_zpspy6s04je.jpg

20150121_101709_zpsg57czlau.jpg

First rook ive had with hawks so I'm chuffed

• Like 5

Out with my mate for a mooch with his female too. First chase was mine on a crow. Stayed on the other side of the hedge all the way up to it. Threw the bord over the hedge and she dove for it, hit it, rolled then the crow popped out her feet and went :( after that we did a few sets but the rabbits were either running down the hedge or refusing to bolt, my mate pulled three out the holes already dead from the ferret.

Another set the rabbit bolted and stayed just far enough from the hedge for my female to smash it, they both did a front flip and hit the ground hard but she held on. Out after crows tommorow driving the farm tracks and walking hedges to try get some good slips.

20150125_140611_zpsdjmfbo6o.jpg

• Like 2

Freya's first triple tonight!

plan was to meet up with brad and his male this time instead of the female and try for a few feral pigeons with him and fly mine on the rabbit. Walking on the path to the pigeon spot brad hears something in the hedge, so I kick the hedge with the lamp on and out pops a rabbit. My female chases and nails it. Fed her a decent amount and traded her off, not intending to fly her again as its seldom I go for multi kills really, prefer to finish her session off on a high, so now we was just gonna fly brads male at the pigeons. Got to the spot and was soon on some pigeons. Only brads male wasn't flying them like he usually does, instead flying to the nearest tree. My hawk though wanted off, so I decided to let her have a go, she went straight up and snatched it. Pigeon dispatched and traded off we carried on and soon spotted another. Again brads male was playing up and mine, now fit to burst, still wanted another go so I chanced it again. Another pigeon was on the deck. So we went and flew the male on some rabbits then and he flew like a different bird almost catching two. Great night.

received_1563108603945812_zps7mpgqszg.jp

• Like 2

A mate brought his female along tonight to try her on the lamp for the first time. As expected she wasn't looking down the beam like most hawks on their first go. So we let her watch mine first. Had a few really long flights with Freya, even hitting one on the arse but it bucked her off. I had a feeling that there would be some ferals in the barn with it being icy cold. Sure enough two was perched in the rafters. Let my mates female off and she missed. Both set off flying, let mine off and she went straight up and plucked one out the air, she knows exactly how to fly them now.

received_1565909673665705_zpsmtm7pbim.jp

• Like 3

Season over for me. Went to take her out this morning and noticed her middle toe on her right had swollen up, took her out anyway then got in and soaked it in some Epsom salt water and brushed it clean. Then soaked it in some aviary birds disinfectant stuff off a mate. See how it goes, I think she's banged it because she hasnt been flown for a few days so don't think anything has gotten stuck inside like a thorn. I doubt its first stages of bumblefoot either because its literally came up over night and there's no reddening or other tell tale signs