Sign in to follow this  
youcanthide...BANG

Freya Female Harris Hawk

Kill number 1:

And we're off, missed a rabbit after a determined flight. Then the ferret bolted two rats. A big and little one at the same time. The hawk took off the fist and smashed the first one after a decent flight through the brambles. Jumped in to stop it biting her. Gave her a little shoulder meat before trading her off. Absolutely buzzing and a new species for me with the hawks. My worries are now set aside and one things for sure, she's seriously quick

20141005_135631_zps5aqy3q5f.jpg

• Like 5

Good stuff mate magic when you've put so much time in. my old female Harris of 14 had her from 12 weeks had a mallard and a hare today having the duck for dinner and hare next Saturday.

• Like 3

Cheers mate, good going yourself don't think I will risk hare with the size of her. If it happens it happens but I'm not going out for them specifically. Gonna try for a rabbit tommorow. If not going to go to some water that should hold a duck or similar.

Edited by youcanthide...BANG

I would build up her confidence first on rabbit before going near a hare all the best

I don't run into many hares but for the free flying hawk I guess it would be up to her if she pursues it.

The wind and rain has arrived so maybe the summer weather is over. I can't see us getting out again until Friday if the forecasters are correct. Really frustrating as in another week or so I won't be able to get out before dark anyway on a work day.

I would build up her confidence first on rabbit before going near a hare all the best

Not gonna bother with hare mate as said, in saying that though if I was going to go for hare I don't think I would start on rabbit. Personally I think conditioning them on rabbits for hare isn't the way to go because they are two totally different flights and a lot different in how they fight once caught. If I was gonna fly hare I would start with hare first so they don't seem a big step up from rabbits

Mine can have a struggle with a big rabbit never mind a hare lol.

She got a rough time of it with one last week that weighed 4.3 lb.

• Like 1