Any Permissions?

I like you Chris, so I'm not going to do my usual thing of asking to borrow your wife or drive your car (long story).

With the amount of experience you have, you'd be better to ask if there's anyone in the area you can be a Go-For for, in exchange for a little field training. That'd probably be a better route to go down.

Find a local shooting club and ask the guys down there if they'll teach you some stuff.

Instead of looking for more land, look to improve your skill set. If you have land (which I know you do), learn to work that better. Maybe ask someone to come to the permission you have in exchange for some training? But then you'd probably be worried someone might oust you from your permission and take it for themselves? That's going to be a concern for the guys on here too.

Also, when everyone from 30 sites says no, start going further afield or trying different sites. My main site is a 15 minute drive away over the border into Devon. They have passport checks and all sorts down there! Hand scanners for 5 or 6 finger hands, and all that stuff. So even though I have a handful of places closer to where I live, I maintain them but really go to town on the one spot.

When you work 1 bit of land well, others will follow.

p.s. that's the nicest response I've ever given.

p.p.s. Asking to shoot on someone else's permission is the equivalent to going on a Porsche website and asking to drive someone's car. Very unlikely to get many people willing to take you up on your offer.

You can borrow my car for a shoot on your land mate lol.

I have asked the farmers who already have shooters if they would ask them if they want a tag along. I'm willing to learn off others and im old fashioned and would respect that they were shooting on there first if we were sharing land.

I drove out about half hour the furthest place from my house. Just no one wants to know. The land I have is empty. I did what you said and best I found was birds I'm not allowed to shoot. Yet the field on the other side of the woods is full of magpies. It's like there's a shield on the land that animals can't pass lol.

Chris

I started to type a long PM yesterday but lost internet (North Sea)

Basically, avoid farms.

Hit cemeteries, orchards, market gardens, big gardens sports centres, paddocks

Basically anywhere there might be a rabbit, there will be somebody who wants it shot.

get cards made up and leave them everywhere.

• Like 1

Chris

Basically, avoid farms.

Basically anywhere there might be a rabbit, there will be somebody who wants it shot.

but arent the council owned the cemeteries? they will just get their own pest control in?

there are a few i could try, also ones in churches. i'll have a look about while im out and about mate.

tbh i've been looking into getting my pest control qualification and have that business alongside my courier business. its quite alot of money to do though.

Chris

Basically, avoid farms.

but arent the council owned the cemeteries? they will just get their own pest control in?

there are a few i could try, also ones in churches. i'll have a look about while im out and about mate.

tbh i've been looking into getting my pest control qualification and have that business alongside my courier business. its quite alot of money to do though.

Woooah there horsey! Walk before you can run! You've not bagged a bunny and you're looking at getting qualifications.

From what I can tell, you're quite new to shooting. Get the basics sorted first. Start off, crawl, walk, run. Once you've worked that out, go prone and shoot! Rake has suggested brilliant places to get permissions, but in your situation I'd not go for all of them.

There are rules (many of which I'm still learning) about shooting in 'public access areas' and by roads. If you don't know those kinds of things and the laws/rules involved, you could be looking at getting rushed by an armed response team and having an MP5 shoved into your face! All you need is one idiot to make a phone call: "Police. There's a man with a gun in the cemetery." This is the kind of reaction you'll get if you don't know the rules and how to conduct yourself. Orchards are a great option, garden centres, plant nurseries are great too. But for the moment, try to be as out of the way of Joe Public as you can get.

Cemeteries can be either local authority owned, or church owned, or even nowadays, private companies, (woodland burial sites)

All will be amenable to extra pest control.

I do stuff for my local council because It`s too labour intensive for the pest controllers.

Lazy twats ! lol

Cemeteries can be either local authority owned, or church owned, or even nowadays, private companies, (woodland burial sites)

All will be amenable to extra pest control.

I do stuff for my local council because It`s too labour intensive for the pest controllers.

Lazy twats ! lol

What did you do then just call up the council and ask? There's a private owned cemetery where my gran is buried but that's in cannock chase which is forestry commission run. I'm guessing the game keepers just go over and do the job. Worth an ask though I won't give up. Winter is coming and stew needs cooking :)

Chris

Basically, avoid farms.

Woooah there horsey! Walk before you can run! You've not bagged a bunny and you're looking at getting qualifications.

From what I can tell, you're quite new to shooting. Get the basics sorted first. Start off, crawl, walk, run. Once you've worked that out, go prone and shoot! Rake has suggested brilliant places to get permissions, but in your situation I'd not go for all of them.

There are rules (many of which I'm still learning) about shooting in 'public access areas' and by roads. If you don't know those kinds of things and the laws/rules involved, you could be looking at getting rushed by an armed response team and having an MP5 shoved into your face! All you need is one idiot to make a phone call: "Police. There's a man with a gun in the cemetery." This is the kind of reaction you'll get if you don't know the rules and how to conduct yourself. Orchards are a great option, garden centres, plant nurseries are great too. But for the moment, try to be as out of the way of Joe Public as you can get.

Hunting for rabbits etc is a hobby. I enjoy being outside and stalking prey. I'm just getting annoyed cuz there's no signs of life on my permission. If I'd seen a rabbit and missed or scared it off that's fine at least I know they are there but I haven't.

With pest control I can earn money from going into houses poisoning rats etc of course to do that you need training and paperwork. Another life experience.

I'd love to go into the town center after closing and shoot the pigeons in there. It would be like dawn of the dead where their in the mall having a free for all lol :)

Chris

Basically, avoid farms.

Hunting for rabbits etc is a hobby. I enjoy being outside and stalking prey. I'm just getting annoyed cuz there's no signs of life on my permission. If I'd seen a rabbit and missed or scared it off that's fine at least I know they are there but I haven't.

With pest control I can earn money from going into houses poisoning rats etc of course to do that you need training and paperwork. Another life experience.

I'd love to go into the town center after closing and shoot the pigeons in there. It would be like dawn of the dead where their in the mall having a free for all lol :)

Totally agree, but I'd still start with baby-steps and work up.

I was approached by the groundsman to control rabbits at the sports and social and then led onto the school. Personally id go and see the groundsman/caretaker of cemeteries football clubs etc. I live in a very small town so word gets around which leads to permissions I'm very lucky in the sense that I don't often need to ask.

As said your best bet is to see the groundsman of such places. We have 1 groundsman that does the lot here lol.

Also consider insurance if you haven't got any as that shows responsibility. And don't say me and a mate want to shoot rabbits.

I always say I have a partner I shoot with for safety reasons because of the likelihood of the public being present whilst undertaking pest control.

Edited by shropshire dan

I was approached by the groundsman to control rabbits at the sports and social and then led onto the school. Personally id go and see the groundsman/caretaker of cemeteries football clubs etc. I live in a very small town so word gets around which leads to permissions I'm very lucky in the sense that I don't often need to ask.

As said your best bet is to see the groundsman of such places. We have 1 groundsman that does the lot here lol.

Also consider insurance if you haven't got any as that shows responsibility. And don't say me and a mate want to shoot rabbits.

I always say I have a partner I shoot with for safety reasons because of the likelihood of the public being present whilst undertaking pest control.

There's a few places that play bowls and a few golf clubs I could ask. Ill ask at the cemeteries about and church grounds.

Ill have to make it sound more like I'm offering a free pest control service then instead of wanting to shoot on land