skinning deer and butchering

Hello snapshot it's a fair wee travel for me to come to you so sorry or i would quite happily show you my way.I would quite happily submit a gralloch to skinning & butchering the way i do it but will be a while as im getting my motor through it's MOT.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I've only just seen this post, I was looking on the net a while back looking for butchering videos and came across an american video produced by Kentucky Dept of Fish and Wildlife On "Deer Processing - Techniques from the field to the freezer". Might well be what you are looking for?

I had a few questions and Emailed their Info centre and got passed on to a guy called David C. Yancy who's a Senior Wildlife Biologist in the KY Dept. of Fish & Wildlife Resources. He answered all my questions the very next day!!! wish our Government departments could get their act together like that!

DVD Link

Edited by bullmastiff
  • 3 weeks later...

Good stuff matey, u blokes have top quality free range Reds over there.

Stabs and I will pull our fingers out and get a step by step butchering post organised in the new year.

pic is of a red doe being skun on a purpose built rack that was made up to do sheep.

post-11073-1197091319.jpg

Hello & i see this is a topic with not much knowledge or people that have very little experiance with 1 of the hardest process of deer work if you do it to a high standard.FJager very nice pic but i see too much knife work in your process of skinning that hind but you have the right idea with the sheep stand to keep it clean from hair & dirt.Use your fist more once the beast has been skinned on the inside of all legs & the brissket down to the haunches.Try use the knifle little as poss & keep your hands clean that touch the meat as it marks so easy.

V-Max, in our heat we have to get the skin of fast and while the animal is hot it is fairly difficult to punch the skin off, hence the use of a knife. I once shot a spikey and didn't find him till next morning, the skin virtually fell off. :thumbs:

Gralloching and Lardering for the DSC

Venison Carcass Cutting for the Table

I've purchased both of the above DVD's from the British Deer Society and found them to be excellent.

Also, if you can splash the cash I can highly recommend a day out with Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall at River Cottage on one of his "Venison in a Day" courses. Brilliant hands on stuff for £195. The link for this course is HERE.

Enjoy. :toast:

Sheepworrier,

I love that skinning idea. Thanks, I'll be using that in future.

6761saint_george.gif

Edited by Xtrema