skinning deer and butchering

Went out for my second stalk of the season and shot a large red stag, does anyone know were i could get a good detailed book on skinning etc so as i could brush up on my skills. As i must admit i'm not the best at it. and want to find a handy- er way of doing it.

none of that stone in the hide shit, knife or nothing!!!!

i'll get a pic of the stag when i recouperate. as i'm banjaxed........2hr 20min drag 230 plus kilos........ :thumbs:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well snapshot you hit the jackpot there.I put up ''skining a white tailed deer'' into Google and a section on field dressing,skinning,butchering etc came up.same stuff just a smaller deer.If you need a hand eating it give me a bell, :clapper:

No real problems skinning it, just want to get that bit better, did check out that site already jigsaw, :thumbs:

looking for something more in depth....... thank's for the replies guy's heres the pic i promised,

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z30/sna...-10-07_1917.jpg[/img][/img]

The bracken we had to stalk through was about 5ft high and with every step a crunch was heard, finally we saw the fine beast sitting in a clearing with nothing but his head and part of his neck showing, i don't really like to shoot alot of stags but this one was causing a few proplems and had to be taken out. i stalked up onto a bank so i could get a good accurate shot 110 yards. Wind in my favor BANG.... neck shot down he went.

i made a call to get some help as i would still be there now if i didn't!!!!!

i think you have your killo's and lbs mixed up mate. 230 kilos is about 500lbs = 36 stone.

it was more likly 230 lbs

[/quote

i stand corrected it is lbs, on the scales they were not mine, :doh: but hes still fooking heavy...... and that was with him gutted!!!!

had to ring the farmer to double check the scales but his son says they are lbs........ :yes::doh:

No prob's v-max it's just with the adrenaline, time it took to drag out, i was fooked then the framer told me the weight and i never twigged it to be wrong as i was half sleeping, just thought it to be right, paid no attenation to it.......totally my fault....i'm still stiff yet from the drag.......

people i own up to the mistake, but i'm far from a bullshitter, :icon_redface::doh:

Fair play SnapShot. :thumbs: What county you shooting in? Fine looking beast. The most straighforward step-by-step photos on skinning i've seen are in "The Deerstalking Handbook" by Graham Downing. For skinning/caping to keep a trophy head "Field Dressing and Butchering Deer" by Monte Burch is good. The best photo sequence on butchering and how to bone out legs into the various cuts I have is in a Yank cookbook "Preparing Fish and Wild Game", worth getting it, plenty of recipes you wouldn't see in game cookbooks written this side of the atlantic.

Spudlington

Fair play SnapShot. :thumbs: What county you shooting in? Fine looking beast. The most straighforward step-by-step photos on skinning i've seen are in "The Deerstalking Handbook" by Graham Downing. For skinning/caping to keep a trophy head "Field Dressing and Butchering Deer" by Monte Burch is good. The best photo sequence on butchering and how to bone out legs into the various cuts I have is in a Yank cookbook "Preparing Fish and Wild Game", worth getting it, plenty of recipes you wouldn't see in game cookbooks written this side of the atlantic.

Spudlington

thank's for that spud, i'll give amazon a wee search whenever i get a chance, thank's again :thumbs: