Back At It!!

NEWKID

Sean had the call from Dave, the rabbits were causing havoc and the farm needed an early ( for us) trip to get started.

It was the usual motley crew, Micky, Sean and myself unfortunately Sam couldn't make it as he is still under going surgery after the terrible nettle sting from late last season ( get well soon mate :whistling: )... and Mark couldnt come cause his missus had ran him a bath.... anyway Sean brought in the ideal replacement in the shape of Rob, top lad and got stuck right in :thumbs: ... just found a couple of rabbits necks a bit too tough, thats sailors for you i suppose :D.. plus we had Fin in tow, I got him to show Rob how to neck a rabbit and all weas well..

Anyway me and Fin were up at the crack of Dawn and grabbed Mick on teh way down to Plymouth to meet Sean, he was there waiting, only problem was we couldn't get into the main farm as the gates were locked... you can't jump theses gates.... the lad who lives on site wasnt up, but luckily for us there was a couple of decent hedges outside of the main area we could start on.

This place holds a lot of rabbits, and the dogs didn't need to mark.. although they eagerly did.. . the plan was to set the long nets around the 100 yard or so hedge which is broken up by 2 gates, and stop the hedge at 15 yard, or so, intervals.. a good few run nets on top and we were off..... but it wasnt as quick as we expected.. 1 or 2 rabbits bolted well, but for early season rabbits they weren't flying out like we expected. we worked the hedge steadily and come the end we had a dozen or so in the bag.. not bad for the first hour mind!... we done the hedge beside and had the same sort of result... it was a good laugh, and Mick was on fire... Sean couldn't get near the rabbits on there side of the hedge, and mine and Rob's side was slow.. f**k knows why but blokes will be competitive about everything, and the number of kills was no different every 5 mins or so Mick would pipe uip with " you lot can join in you know"... twat.. :laugh:... when him and sean set off on a race for a netted rabbit, sean resorted to dirty tactics, going for the trip... mick stayed on his feet, and claimed the prize,, cue more piss taking :D ... although we like to catch a few, you got to have a laugh, f**k taking it all too serious, its not our job after all.

pc_zpsef007e82.jpg

photob_zpsb73cbd86.jpg

pd_zps1006e81c.jpg

So now your man was awake and out of his bed, the main gate was open, it was around 11am and we had 20 or so rabbits in the bag.

The next bit was tricky to net, there are 2 hedges which run either side of a lane, we wanted to get them both, so wrapped the long nets all around and up the lane, cut the lane off with stops and then covered as many runs as we could.

Then out came MY new favourite ferret, Mick's trying to say it's on loan.. no chance, it's in my court it's mine.. :yes::D the little jill was on fire, and worked flat out for her first outing, the old hobs were as steady as ever and Seans jills worked hard too, you need 4 or 5 in to keep tyhe rabbits moving and we're getting a good little team together now.

This hedge they were bolting well and the action stayed nice and steady... then disaster struck.. I don't know if you remember the cry Sam gave last year when he stung his pinky... something like "ooooowwwwwwwllllllllllwwllllllllooooooolwlwlll"... well Sean made the exact same noise... " bloody hell mate are you alright" I call over the hedge... He's wimpering a bit now and Micks trying his best to console him... whats wrong mate?... "my..my... my ferrets lost her collar".. he finally stammered out through the tears.. :D

Sure enough there was one of the jills covered in claret, minus her £60 collar.....

We picked her up and finished the hedge... then out cam the box, 1 of seans ferrets was still in but he had his mind on the collar... he frantically searched the hedge and got a mark... I've never seen him dig like it... flat out he piled in.. finally at around 3ft a triumphant cheer went up... the collar was found along with the other ferret... :D

We flip[ped onto the other side and it went well another 15 or so rabbits out nice and quickly...

It was 2-30 by now and we decided to quit while we were ahead.. it was a great start to the season. with 43 in the bag, some cracking 3/4 grown ones amongst them which are in the pot.

Sean took a few photos during the day, but not as many as usual the competition from Micky took over I reckon :laugh: .. great pics as usual though

Another great day :thumbs:

photo2_zps25735de3.jpg

photo1_zps4b73976a.jpg

photo3_zpsde939d80.jpg

photo4_zps555a8161.jpg

ph_zps6bfa4a89.jpg

pf1_zps1afd0c82.jpg

pf2_zpsaf2fa1f3.jpg

• Like 13

Nice one Kev didn't expect anything else, mind you you never mentioned Fin getting nailed by that well tamed ferret you own.

Hmmmm!... Not what my lad reckons lol.. Mind you she's got previous..

The worst was I got nailed by my terrier trying to take the rabbit, f***ing thing ended up in the van after that..

• Like 1