Patterdale Vs Jagdterrier Pros And Cons

My buddy Cade Pocock is looking at getting a new working terrier, and he's got a couple options in front of him. All of the options he is considering are from hard working proven stock. He's buying from the best of the best breeders available, and he'll be flying his dog to him from halfway across the country. He really wants to make sure that this time he gets the dog he's looking for (if you didn't read my last post, he had a Decker working terrier that was so far from game it isn't even funny).

The options Cade has before him are a litter of Patterdales, a Jagdterrier litter, and a litter of mixed blood pups that have both breeds in it.

We are curious as to the pros and cons of these two different breeds. No breed is perfect, and no dog can do everything. We just want to hear your opinions on the two different breeds. I know there is no "best dog" as what is "best" comes down to both circumstance and opinion. What we would like to know are the strengths and weaknesses the two breeds possess when compared to each other.

These are my friend Cade's goals with his future working terrier.....

He would like to hunt raccoons, both tracking them down and treeing them, and perusing them in irrigation pipes and in underground burrows. So a dog that can both track and go to earth is necessary.

He would also like to hunt fox, so yet another reason he needs a dog that can work underground in tight spaces.

He would also like to hunt rats and squirrels along side his hunting mink. It doesn't take much to find a dog that will catch and kill flushed rats and squirrels, but the dog will need to be trainable enough to keep it from also killing the mink.

So what are your opinions on the pros and cons of the two breeds we are considering to use for these purposes?

Edited by Minkenry

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From what I've read on the internet Jadg terriers could fly helicopters if allowed.

Hope you got some spare mink.

it's been a terriers work to kill mink for as long as they have plagued our waterways, and mink carry a nasty bite, if a ferret bites a young dog it will feel it but the damage won't be great. if a mi

Would depend on how big the jagds are. They can be quite large, which doesn't make earth work easier. imho the jagd is the more versatile dog, giving tongue, tracking, baying, catching, retrieving. Can be excellent guard dogs as well.

If (big if!!) you are able to find one which isn't over sized, is mentally sound and you put in a great deal of work you can have a very nice allround hunting companion. You could also end up with an unstable, unsound sociopath.

One of my dogs is half about 40% DJT/ 25% fell 25% JRT and some bedlington thrown in the mix several generations back. Very nice dog to work with, high drive, medium ranging.

According to me, qualities and weaknesses depend more from line than from race.

I owned and used both, patterdales and jagds, on earth and underground. Both are very good dogs.

Jagd works speedy, with more voice. They give voice on scent easily. Some lines are easy to educate (german way). But the great part of european lines have too bite to work underground. Too much killers for me

Patterdales are great workers, strong and tenacious. Better in huge dens if they have to work alone during 4 or 5 hours. Sometimes, patterdales have weak voice. The patterdale mental is better, concentrated on work.

Be careful, it's an opinion from my experience, specialy from badger hunting. No more.
  • Like 1

Both of the breeds can do what your out for, the jagds are tall and fairly tough, and also bark, and hunting dog. The Patterdale, would have it all, and also mark and climb a tree, and gameness. Breaking to mink, don't know if that works with a good un

a good jr. will do all these things. from what ive seen a jagd would also but can you be sure it will be small enough for underground fox?. patts will also do most of what you want but tend to be hard. and quieter workers. crossbreds are generally an unknown quantity, and its a waiting game to see what you have. if you can be sure of a handy sized jagd then that would be my choice. after a good well bred russell of course

• Like 2