Boiling Rabbit ???

I sometimes parboil my rabbit and strip the meat before further cooking.

Question is - if I over boil it will it get tougher? The other night I forgot the pan and it boiled for 1 1/4 hours ! The meat was really rubbery and quite tough so I don't know if it was an old buck rabbit or how i boiled it.

The dog enjoyed it though ! :)

Old bucks are the business. My mates can't believe I actually sort them out of the catch for personal consumption. A light frying to brown the meat before stewing does wonders and you can leave em in the oven on low for as long as you like.

Add a pinch of chilli or curry powder and pop in any veg and a tin of baked beans an hour or two before the end.

Edited by comanche
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't believe the number of Tv chefs and cookery books that reckon 1 and 1/2 hours is enough time to stew a bunny . Maybe a tender ten week old commercial rabbit would be Ok with such a short cooking time but a muscular wild-caught one in my experience needs a good three or four hours to get the best out of it .

People that say they don't like rabbit because its too tough or rubbery have often followed a recipe by Hugh ,Gordon ,Delia or whoever and get a bit defensive when I suggest they try again but tripling the cooking time .

Unfortunately a lot of folk have been put off rabbit for life after trying to chew a semi-raw chunk of solid bunny muscle.

Edited by comanche