Crackin Night Again.

is his stanima and inteligance on parr with the collie x's off past

his stamina better than my colliexs, regards the brains side of it, i find the colliexs are like thinking type dogs meaning thinking about the runs it does or the quarry it going to chase or tackle, where as he just go in does it regardless quarry or runs, if that makes sense.? To me a gsdx grey got a different mind set to a colliex grey , his 2sisters are the same and another brother the same very full on type dogs :yes:
he sounds a very usefull dog and nimble for his size and weight alwhy do lso, at 28tts and 87lb he sounds a simular range to the more popular malamute x how would you compare the gsdx to the mal x
not really sure , the other dog Buster is a 1/4 malamute .3/4 lurcher and he is very fast+agile dog smaller than Buck , Buster 27in 74lb .But from what read and heard Alsatian x greys or Alsatian x lurcher are fast tough lurchers.You only got to see some proper working bred East/European gsds or Bel mals working to see how fast+agile strong dogs there are in pure from , so put to a running dog you got hell of a good chance of getting a very useful lurcher i reckon :yes:
why do you think this aren't the most popular x then ?or why did this x lose favour if it so good?
not real sure mate, i think what happened bullxs took of in the 70s and they were very good dogs that would start early compare to a lot of other lurcher types that was about then , and i will admit my self i do like a bullx grey myself as ive had 3 before all good dogs,and quite like the look of a bullx as well . Where as gsd x grey just looks like a big gsd lol, but being honest mate, i find Buck is very similar to my bullx regards atuide , he up for anything that's in front of him, and deff got better stamina than my bullxs , he recovers quick from each run, even better than what Bryn my colliex grey does.

fair enough but will never equal a good bull x ,I and I mean a good bull x but that's just my view ,best of luck with your dogs this season

Edited by DEERMAN

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went out again with trigger2 (jon) his dog Buster and my dog young Buck, Buck was coming great last time out ,as said once he started to calm , so was expecting the same last tinght. Buck had 2 nights

Remind me ray,,,how big is buck?...lol   Good night again there boys

I enjoy reading about buck and I'm happy to eat humble pie and say that I am one of the lads who didn't think he would make anything like the successful running dog he has.   I saw the dog at 10-12

his stamina better than my colliexs, regards the brains side of it, i find the colliexs are like thinking type dogs meaning thinking about the runs it does or the quarry it going to chase or tackle, where as he just go in does it regardless quarry or runs, if that makes sense.? To me a gsdx grey got a different mind set to a colliex grey , his 2sisters are the same and another brother the same very full on type dogs :yes:
he sounds a very usefull dog and nimble for his size and weight alwhy do lso, at 28tts and 87lb he sounds a simular range to the more popular malamute x how would you compare the gsdx to the mal x
not really sure , the other dog Buster is a 1/4 malamute .3/4 lurcher and he is very fast+agile dog smaller than Buck , Buster 27in 74lb .But from what read and heard Alsatian x greys or Alsatian x lurcher are fast tough lurchers.You only got to see some proper working bred East/European gsds or Bel mals working to see how fast+agile strong dogs there are in pure from , so put to a running dog you got hell of a good chance of getting a very useful lurcher i reckon :yes:
why do you think this aren't the most popular x then ?or why did this x lose favour if it so good?
not real sure mate, i think what happened bullxs took of in the 70s and they were very good dogs that would start early compare to a lot of other lurcher types that was about then , and i will admit my self i do like a bullx grey myself as ive had 3 before all good dogs,and quite like the look of a bullx as well . Where as gsd x grey just looks like a big gsd lol, but being honest mate, i find Buck is very similar to my bullx regards atuide , he up for anything that's in front of him, and deff got better stamina than my bullxs , he recovers quick from each run, even better than what Bryn my colliex grey does.
fair enough but will never equal a good bull x ,I and I mean a good bull x but that's just my view ,best of luck with your dogs this season

Back in the eighties the gsd cross was a fairly common thing and you would see them in some shape or form at most shows ... There was a fella from the Swansea area that had them for years and swore by them ... A few years later I seen him with an ageing gsd cross and two young deerhound types ... I asked him if he had decided to change breeds and he told me he had to as due to the show brigade it was nearly impossible to find a genuine fit strong shepherd ... So maybe the decline in conformation of the gsd with their sloping backs and cow hocks was one of the reasons the cross fell out of favour ..........

• Like 2

Back in the eighties the gsd cross was a fairly common thing and you would see them in some shape or form at most shows ... There was a fella from the Swansea area that had them for years and swore by them ... A few years later I seen him with an ageing gsd cross and two young deerhound types ... I asked him if he had decided to change breeds and he told me he had to as due to the show brigade it was nearly impossible to find a genuine fit strong shepherd ... So maybe the decline in conformation of the gsd with their sloping backs and cow hocks was one of the reasons the cross fell out of favour ..........

I'd agree with that but it ain't the only reason, back in the 70's Alsation's (they were never GSD's then!) were never seen with the 'deformity's' we see now BUT i'd bet that the main reason they were never 'in favour' is because, like Alsations, they can take a bloody long time to both mature and take shape.

yes I think that was a big reason ,but maybe its my memory but cant remember them ever being that popular ??I seen a few in shows but it was allways deerhound and collie types that were the main lurcher types 30 years ago

My old boss (a zoo owner) kept GSD's, often up to four at a time.........over the 8 years I worked for him the fecking things were dropping like flys.........get to 4-5 & were fcuked, with various problems......

For the roustabout hunter,..the man keen on having a gentle stroll and a wander,..over various places :whistling: ...this type of capabal and highly trainable lurcher, is a handy mouching pal...

That is where they are seen in their best light,...hunting up during the early morning,..a quick in and out job..

Much of the history penned and passed on, regarding this useful cross, has come via tales and anecdotes jotted down in books or chatted over around the lurcher show ring...

However,.I have been fortunate in walking out with a few Alsation / Greyhound hybrids, and as a dog for taking game in woodland and similar cover,..they were definitly keen and successful ,.especialy on the smaller types of deer, game birds, etc...

This cross has never been popular with the masses,..it is obviously an aquired taste and like everything else in the lurcher world,...there are no set rules,...we do,.what we do.... :thumbs:

Anyway,..all the best to Ray with his hospital precedure,...kind regards Phil.

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

For the roustabout hunter,..the man keen on having a gentle stroll and a wander,..over various places :whistling: ...this type of capabal and highly trainable lurcher, is a handy mouching pal...

That is where they are seen in their best light,...hunting up during the early morning,..a quick in and out job..

Much of the history penned and passed on, regarding this useful cross, has come via tales and anecdotes jotted down in books or chatted over around the lurcher show ring...

However,.I have been fortunate in walking out with a few Alsation / Greyhound hybrids, and as a dog for taking game in woodland and similar cover,..they were definitly keen and successful ,.especialy on the smaller types of deer, game birds, etc...

This cross has never been popular with the masses,..it is obviously an aquired taste and like everything else in the lurcher world,...there are no set rules,...we do,.what we do.... :thumbs:

File0738.jpg

thanks lads + phil regards the hospital sat, :thumbs: regards this x I can see why they wouldn't appeal to a lot of lads, like been said there are slow to mature compare to other xs and deff to a bullx. Buck on fire now he 2 year old , and he was showing good promise last season when he was about 13-14 months old, so not to bad but there do seem like big soft pups when not hunting , he loves people and dogs don't think he got a bark in, considering he is 1/2 Alsatian . And it true the gsds in the UK are of very poor quality with bad HD hips and general health .Buck dam from East/European working lines the lines have good hips and fit healthy dogs, that the police+ army use today . I know bloke who been on the telly that pick pups for the police+army to use ,and he told me its only E/E lines they pick today and same with bel mals , even shit getting in them now he liked Buck a lot though he was fit strong dog that picked up good points from both his parents gsd/greyound.? As phil said this x are very useful lurcher that can catch rabbits no prob, and per ban were very good deer+fox dogs and the odd hares , ive always said Buck very fast+agile dog for his size , he would shock few people what he can do out in the field :yes: but there not for every one ,I prefer him to a colliex any day but that's just me :yes: nice pic looks strong type dog

File0738.jpg

thanks lads + phil regards the hospital sat, :thumbs: regards this x I can see why they wouldn't appeal to a lot of lads, like been said there are slow to mature compare to other xs and deff to a bullx. Buck on fire now he 2 year old , and he was showing good promise last season when he was about 13-14 months old, so not to bad but there do seem like big soft pups when not hunting , he loves people and dogs don't think he got a bark in, considering he is 1/2 Alsatian . And it true the gsds in the UK are of very poor quality with bad HD hips and general health .Buck dam from East/European working lines the lines have good hips and fit healthy dogs, that the police+ army use today . I know bloke who been on the telly that pick pups for the police+army to use ,and he told me its only E/E lines they pick today and same with bel mals , even shit getting in them now he liked Buck a lot though he was fit strong dog that picked up good points from both his parents gsd/greyound.? As phil said this x are very useful lurcher that can catch rabbits no prob, and per ban were very good deer+fox dogs and the odd hares , ive always said Buck very fast+agile dog for his size , he would shock few people what he can do out in the field :yes: but there not for every one ,I prefer him to a colliex any day but that's just me :yes: nice pic looks strong type dog

:thumbs:

I wonder why these crosses are not more popular, as you say they can be so fast and agile....

Surely if they were that good more lads would run them? How hard are you intending to test him Ray? If Buck turns out that good then surely you'll want to continue the breeding?

• Like 1

I wonder why these crosses are not more popular, as you say they can be so fast and agile....

Surely if they were that good more lads would run them? How hard are you intending to test him Ray? If Buck turns out that good then surely you'll want to continue the breeding?

I don't know what is mate?, maybe the size of them put people off, as bitches are big dogs as well 26-27in 70 odd lb , and to be honest I was very surprised at 1st with Buck, with his speed+agilty I really didn't think a big dog could move like he as done in the past ., and regards testing him (lets say ) he will run+taclke whats ever in front of him day+night and he going great at moment ,and got all season so really looking forward to it. :thumbs: I would deff like a dog pup out of him :yes: , got few things going if work out in 18 months -2 years time if all goes well for the future :thumbs:

It's odd that like you say Ray he hasn't got a bark in him, this collie cross of mine can be a proper funny fecker with strangers and I'd of thought an ally cross would be worse.

yeh i know what you mean, maybe he took after the greyhound in temp, more than Alsatian , But suppose with size its a good job he daft with people+dogs really :yes: