Canada Geese

Naff all to do with your question - sorry, but have to ask as I've been told all sorts in the past. Do Canada's make good eating?

Some say tough as old leather forget about them. Somebody else said take off the breast meat, treat like a good piece of steak and don't over cook - this I like the sound of.

As already said, sorry for hi-jacking thread but you seem to have an interest in Canada's so assume you must do something with em.

• Like 1

Selvey,

I saw 2 different skeins of them in the Moray Firth on the weekends of the 3rd and 10th of August, given that they will head south, I reckon they must be on the Tay by now...

ZacB, horrible! Although I would be willing to try one of this years birds....might be worth a go, but any older - feed them to your dogs.....

Naff all to do with your question - sorry, but have to ask as I've been told all sorts in the past. Do Canada's make good eating?

Some say tough as old leather forget about them. Somebody else said take off the breast meat, treat like a good piece of steak and don't over cook - this I like the sound of.

As already said, sorry for hi-jacking thread but you seem to have an interest in Canada's so assume you must do something with em.

i had a couple last season and found them to be o.k eating i wouldnt not have them again. i was told to always shoot one of the birds from the back of the skein as they are more often than not young birds as the older birds tend to lead the skeins.

• 3 weeks later...

Cook it like venison. Slow, red wine, mushrooms, garlic, carrots..its magic

Cook it like venison. Slow, red wine, mushrooms, garlic, carrots..its magic

This ^^^

I've only done it once, got it handed to me by a neighbour. I pulled the skin, took the crown off and popped it on a trivet of root veg, port, red wine and orange peel with some star anise, cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon stick. Quite Christmassy when cooking but I popped it on the hob, tightly covered in double foil to bring to the boil, then as soon as it was boiling, I put it in the oven at 180c for 2 hours. Then I took it out and rested, covered for 50 minutes. It was amazing. I think possibly treat it with the same principal as squid....either flash fry steaks of it or cook it whole, low and slow. :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the best things I've ever eaten .. very tender and very tastful just got to know how to cook right!!

Funny things I find. Always tasted "pondy" to me, a bit like a stocked rainbow. A friend in Alaska says the same and locals there won't eat them. Theory seems they are more sedentary than others hence the lack of real gamey flavour.

Interesting comments though thanks, might even try cooking one again!