So what's the difference between scottish independence and england only having the english voting on what happens in england?

Scotlands Parliament votes on many things that only apply to Scotland; that's how you have free prescriptipons, old age health care , free university tuition, etc, and are in line to have your own tax and spend powers. English MPs CANNOT vote on any of these, but Scottish MPs CAN vote on laws that affect ONLY England. A stand out case was seen on this mornings "Daily Politics" Andrew Neil asked Scottish MP Jim Murphy how was it fair that he voted FOR tuition fees in ENGLAND, but AGAINST tuition fees in Scotland ? It's no supprise he blustered and couldn't give an answer !!!

Labour is dead set against English votes for English laws, because without it's 40 Scottish MPs , they would never get a vote through parliament. So Ed Miliband has promised all sort of powers to Scotland, but won't give the same deal to England............ Definately UKIP for me !

• Like 4

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunately a lot of English are sick of hearing how England holds the Scottish back.   This vote has done nothing but fracture the union and Scotland.

I'm absolutely disgusted at the fighting in George square Glasgow yesterday, the whole of Scotland were given a choice and the choice was made, no one is any less a scot for voting no and no one is mo

I cant believe there are all these pages arguing who does this and who said that, at the end of the day either vote yes or no on the 18th, there is absolutely no need for all this hostility over it. J

Posted Images

So what's the difference between scottish independence and england only having the english voting on what happens in england?

Scotlands Parliament votes on many things that only apply to Scotland; that's how you have free prescriptipons, old age health care , free university tuition, etc, and are in line to have your own tax and spend powers. English MPs CANNOT vote on any of these, but Scottish MPs CAN vote on laws that affect ONLY England. A stand out case was seen on this mornings "Daily Politics" Andrew Neil asked Scottish MP Jim Murphy how was it fair that he voted FOR tuition fees in ENGLAND, but AGAINST tuition fees in Scotland ? It's no supprise he blustered and couldn't give an answer !!!

Labour is dead set against English votes for English laws, because without it's 40 Scottish MPs , they would never get a vote through parliament. So Ed Miliband has promised all sort of powers to Scotland, but won't give the same deal to England............ Definately UKIP for me !

Any chance of posting a link, I didn't see that episode.

Daily Politics today, BBC2. I can't find a link. Edited by Brigzy

Daily Politics today, BBC2. I can't find a link.

Found it and have posted a link below, Jim Murphy's interview starts at about 21.10. :thumbs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04jttrv/daily-politics-22092014