.22 None Believers

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi My HW100kt .177 is away at the moment at XTX AIR to have the anti tamp taken out , so I have gone back to my trusted HW100kt .22. for day time use . Went to my new permission late yesterday eve

ive been shooting 40 yrs + and ive never owned a 1.77 lads always had .22 and like has been said -as long as your quarry is dispatched quickly & humanely calibre shouldnt matter learning to j

Only 30 years dr bob Vm and Big Mac 40 + years Fec me then boys I AM THE DADDY lol And by the way as vm has said its a bit of banter , it would be a sad world if we couldn't take the piss out of

ive been shooting 40 yrs + and ive never owned a 1.77 lads always had .22 and like has been said -as long as your quarry is dispatched quickly & humanely calibre shouldnt matter learning to judge distances wind etc only comes with loads & loads of practice -billy

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

Its not 22 or 177 for me its 550 ft per sec or 820 ft per sec whats better .If a big heavy slow pellet was the way to go .25 would be king .I would like to see a smaller caliber than 177 so 850 ft per sec was easy to achieve and the pellet would have a very good B.C long range accuracy would be fantastic with a gun well under 12 ft lbs .

Pax has tried small and lighter - Does not have the Stopping power of .177

.177 is Flater than .22

Majority of Targets are Shot with .177 - so Shooters are better aware of pellets capablity -

BOB/R

With the faster speed and smaller load than .177, wouldnt it make it more unstable in flight?

Its not 22 or 177 for me its 550 ft per sec or 820 ft per sec whats better .If a big heavy slow pellet was the way to go .25 would be king .I would like to see a smaller caliber than 177 so 850 ft per sec was easy to achieve and the pellet would have a very good B.C long range accuracy would be fantastic with a gun well under 12 ft lbs .

Pax has tried small and lighter - Does not have the Stopping power of .177

.177 is Flater than .22

Majority of Targets are Shot with .177 - so Shooters are better aware of pellets capablity -

BOB/R

With the faster speed and smaller load than .177, wouldnt it make it more unstable in flight?

It is over certain distances with wind sheer. However on a still warm day it is very true and straight. One of the reasons .17hmr is becoming so popular in rimfire is its flightpath. Same for .17 pellets. .22 requires "the lob" to be practised. However with any decent barrel and good quality lead, given the power is adequate, I am now becoming more convinced by the argument for .17 over .22.

I think much is down to choice and experience.

• Like 2

I agree its about choice and experience. For HFT, FT etc i'd go all the way with .177. But as a personal preference I prefere .22 for live quarry, just gives more of an exchange of energy Yeah, you have to get over the 'lob' but a good bit of paractice on the range will sort this out and get your eye on the milldot hold over or under. I suppose its all about self training. Forget all the hollow points, and pointed pellets, a good roundpoint in my rifle, such as H&N, Accupel, JSB exact etc work fine with my R10 MK2 .

• Like 3

Yeah, I prefer .22 for hunting for all the reasons given. I also think the 'lob' is over exaggerated....but then, I rarely shoot beyond 35yds so perhaps its effects on my style of shooting are reduced.

• Like 2

I just love experimenting I suppose. .22 at forty is my maximum on sub12lbs, lately I am happy to go to fifty or so with .17 if the rifles giving 780fps. And yes the quality of pellet makes a big difference, I use JSB Exact now more than anything in .17. It seems the most consistent performer in my three .17 rifles. Oh, scrub that I meant two, I am a Gaystate free zone now.

A good way to see the difference is at distance, the .22 is clearly visible through the scope all the way to target. Some benders have to be seen to be believed. As for the lob its a fact of life :cray:

• Like 2

Oh yes John, it is a fact, but with a gun performing at full power, and the right pellet, zerored at the right distance, the way some people talk about 'lob', its not something I experience too much of. Of course, its there, but if its what you're used to, it kind of isnt a problem at all. That's why i think its effects are over-exaggerated by some.....however, as i say, i dont shoot much beyond 35yds now, so maybe that's why. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Hi all,

The "lob" effect of .22 is the only reason i shoot .177.

Both calibers are as accurate as each other in "open" unobstructed areas but i find .177 ideal for my type of shooting which is hide shooting in woodland areas and shooting through many spindle branches.

The "flat trajectory" for me in the woodlands scenario.

(said it once i know but had to repeat it,- its a long post)

atb

Edited by mark williams
  • Like 2

I went up to my rfd the other day as i was told that 177 had a bad recoil so off i went to test fire the crow sport 3.

now this one was a part exchange on another rifle so off i went into the back room loaded her up and what do you no next to no recoil what so ever and i mean what so ever and the trigger is so light if you blew on it it would go off just the way i like it

Looks like she has been fettle, d at some point well happy now

mind i fired another in 177 and i thought i had picked up a shot gun lol

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1