Hw97K Latest Model Smooth Stock Or Grip ?

I prefer the smooth stock . my gun is a few years old I didnt know they still made smooth stocks .When you shoot a spring gun and hold it loosely you want as little grip as possible I feel, so the guns recoil motion is not different because of friction . other people will disagree I am sure .also I like a sports stock on a spring gun.

The original Mk.I to Mk.III stocks are just fine as they were and makes the rifle the legend it is. The forestock only rests on your palm so, the appearance of either plain or chequered is cosmetic and purely academic really. If you like one or other it doesn't really matter The HW77 series rifles themselves are the best spring piston air rifles of all. Nothing beats the HW77 for accuracy or reliability. Nothing.

I've tried testing against other underlever spring rifles to seriously see if it can be out performed but nothing, so far has done that.

Pro Sport need a dedicated left-hand stock for me to make a balanced test and consideration of its true potential. TX200 is really superb but, just not quite as accurate. Walther LGU .22 not quite there either; but a very sweet rifle and a worthy contender. HW97K matches it and is another supremely reliable HW rifle. But has yet to actually surpass it. I suppose it really comes down to 'how well you gel' with your rifle of choice!

The new shape stock looks nicely proportioned, elegant and balanced. It's the earlier model Mk III .22 full size I have and it is beautiful to shoot with. The pistol grip is chequered functionally. The forestock is plain. But as you must shoot with a light, unrestrictive hold, chequering isn't a must-have, but, something you might either love the look of or live without.

You will not be disappointed with this rifle at all, regardless of the stock type or marque!

Simon

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 1

So really by what you say a hw97k with hawke 3-9x40 scope all for 365.00 is a good buy the stock it's self I don't mind I have smooth stock bsa mercury challenger and a beeman rs2 with chequered stock I just didn't know if there was a difference between age of rifle

See when I asked them in store they said its latest model and they have only just had new batch in if I asked to view the product in box what do I need to look for I don't want to waste money taken long enough to save for I want a quality rifle no more than this really spring piston tho

It'll still be shit hot mate... The HW build quality is impeccable.

It's it old but new, it doesn't make it any less effective. Might be nice to see an old model 97. Originality mate... That's the best bit about it.

• Like 1

Hi Springer 89.

The Tartan/diamond form chequering on the last HW97K stock hasbeen out for some years now. It is really nice and deep and the stock overall is very nice. I'd go for that, just for its good looks. I only have one critical comment to make and, I think the comb is a wee bit too high and makes using a 40mm scope on low mounts difficult to use. At least with my fat mush!

:hmm: Just noted the point about the smooth forend version you're wondering about. This is an older gun by the sound of it. Possibly second hand. That smooth forend stock was used on the original Mk.1 HW97 which had an extending moderator end, before the flush version came in some few years later. Not that, that made any difference to its performance. Nothing wrong with that one! But, if £365 is the asking price, I'd want to see this as a fine-condition rifle. If so, it will be a real beauty if so, as it was a cracking rifle from the get-go AND built when Weihrauch were building real gems with none of their quality control let-downs of recent years! And a scope into the bargain...

If it's in tip top condition. BUY IT!!

Edited by pianoman