pigeons and decoying

yes it does, but you don't need to go mad with equipment at the start.

Just get yourself a net and a few shell decoys and away you go. As important as equipment, possible more important, is getting the picture right and doing your recon first.

There are a few books that are worth reading - in my opinion Archie Coats 'Pigeon Shooting' and 'The Pigeon Shooter' by John Batley

i only started pigeon decoying this year, the wife bought me 12 shells and 4 full bodied for my birthday, it is worth doing and before the shells arrived i was having success with just the 4 full bodied decoys, best day so far was 7 pigeons, 3 crows and 4 jackdaws and i was only out a morning.....like anything its practice that makes perfect, i have half an idea now regarding where to put teh decoys and flightlines etc...but its good to do when i cant go ferreting during the spring/summer

oh yes trust me pigeon shooting over decoys is worth it the woodpigeon over decoys is one of the most testing birds out there its great fun aswell like the other lads said you dont need to go mad on gear 12 decoys a hide net and 4 poles and your up and away but the main thing with pigeon shooting is recon no point in setting up where there is no pigeons feeding so make sure you have a decent field where there are plenty pigeons comming to the field set-up just of the flight line and you will see what decoying pigeons is all about

all the best

regards

wildfowler-2007

sporting safaris scotland

• 1 month later...

the answer is yes try to set up near a sitty tree often birds will alight before coming down to feed, keep well hidden they have very sharp eyes and as you need them to land any slight movement they detect theyll be off, remember to have a backdrop to your hide or your outline will show through good luck .

engineer :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Pigeon decoying is about fieldcraft more than anything. Firstly you can have the best decoys in the world but if you dont know where the pigeons are they are of little use. Time spent watching pigeons around the shoot and building a picture of the flight lines is paramount to making a good bag. Pigeons will generally travel on a flightline in and out of a field. You need to note both if you can as this will give a good indication as to where to set up your hide. Pigeons will often follow a natural feature such as a hedgeline or a belt of trees. Watch the flight for a few days and you should be able to build up a good picture of what time the birds arrive, from which direction, wind directions and does it make a difference to the flightline etc. All these factors taken into account you can then look at the best place to ambush the birds. Ideally you want to be under the flightline as it enters the field. I have shot good bags actually intercepting the line before it gets to the field and have decoyed them onto plain grass. During the time spent watching the flight, also spend time watching the behaviour of the birds on the Ground. Note which way they approach their fellow birds and how they land, usually into the wind. You want to try and simulate the feeding birds as best as possible and a good deal can be learnt from watching pigeons feeding and landing.

There are some very good vids and dvds on the market at the moment that show basic hide building and decoy patterns etc. I have just watched Chris Greens dvds pigeon shooting the whole story part 1&2 and they make very good viewing. Part 2 is better for more informative affairs regarding pigeon shooting.

Remember it is you against a wily bird, use your skill and patience to outwit him.

Good Luck

• 5 months later...

i watched pigion shotting part one by chris green i got part one and i wish i hadnt now what a rubbish dvd dosnt really give you any info on how to start pigion shooting

i loved where the peregrine came down though only part i liked to be honest