2014/15 Season

pointer

What sort of acreage would you need to fly a bird , and is there a specific type of land that suits the bird better or is it they will hunt were ever they are flown ? Some of the places I do the stalking are not short of rabbits to say the least ..

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's nearly time to start hunting again, my hawks about two weeks away from being brought out again. I'll try and keep an updated diary of how the season goes for us. I've started getting the pointer

I was late getting back from work today and by the time I'd grabbed my hawk and gear it was almost 7 pm. With the light starting to fade in an area of heavy cover I wasn't expecting much but she was k

It's been too windy to do anything this week and my season is over. I power washed her aviary out and changed the window bars and AstroTurf. It feels strange putting her away after a seven month seaso

Posted Images

They can be flown just about anywhere, I don't know how many acres we can walk over but it's a lot. The thing is if rabbits are scarce the acres aren't the issue. I used to go ferreting in North Yorkshire where we could have a good day bolting rabbits for the lurchers and the landrover was still in sight all day because every set had rabbits in.

I like the long flights on big rabbits on the sloping dales covered in rushes but I need to find more woodland for when the wind makes it hard to fly on the open land.

• Like 1

What sort of acreage would you need to fly a bird , and is there a specific type of land that suits the bird better or is it they will hunt were ever they are flown ? Some of the places I do the stalking are not short of rabbits to say the least ..

You don't actually need very large areas as such, personally when I was in England, I didn't have any one particular large permission......but I had many small places which I could alternate, smallest of which was an area at one end of a large reservoir, I had a permit for a very small area of maybe a few acres between the water & a busy road & I took many rabbits with a goshawk there :-)

As long there is an abundance of quarry, a small area can be hunted with a Harris or Goshawk, woodland is good which has decent ground cover, ferreting in woodland with a goshawk is hard to beat IMO or open land with clear rabbit warrens for ferreting or open areas of ground cover which can be walked up easily.....

Alternating the land & quarry numbers I think is the most important thing, not so much the size of it.

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 2