Kids And Weight Training?

my lad wants to get himself a set of weights,hes only 14 and built like a shoe lace,is this something i should encourage him to do or is he to young to start yet,

if he not to young to start where can i get the best info on how much and how often he should be training at that age,if he to young forget my last question cheers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The single biggest downfall of young lifters is motivation......by all means get him in a gym learning how to do the basic lifts with correct form,but dont let him get too wrapped up in eating cleanly

My lad goes to the gym with me and he is only 12. I just make sure the weights he uses arent too much for him. Before primary school i used to get him to do 10 press ups, his mother used to moan at me

Gnasher16 is the man to ask ... But done sensibly and correctly there is no problem .......

Gnasher16 will no more on the subject. But when I started boxing at 12 I was told not to start doing weights until I was 14/15 any sooner was a no go as the muscle hasn't developed enough to start heavy lifting.

Im no expert so don't hold me to that.

I'm no expert but I'd say 14 is fine but maybe not in a serious way, it'll defo get him into the swing of it for hitting 16 17 when if he's still skinny to start looking to maybe bulk a little, start him on certain workouts I'd say probs just a hour full body workout, taking it slow and easy learning how to lift correctly so to get the good habits in there early! I know I wish i had started out that young! As I say no expert and I'm sure gnash will come along soon and give you real advice as he knows his stuff and doesn't mind sharing his knowledge

He's still a young lad so serious resistance training probably would be a bit much but he is at an age where he will start to benefit from it. Or at least that seems to be the general concensus.

Here's a link with a bit of info. It's aimed more at kids younger than your lad but that in itself should reassure you.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson38.htm

Best advice would probably be to stick to compound lifts with attention to form and reasonably high reps. He'll see his body and ability improve which at his age will probably be satisfactory. If he's still in it in his later teens then with a bit more knowledge he can move onto heavy lifting and serious training having gained the knowledge of how to lift properly already.

As already said, Gnasher knows his shit. All that is just my opinion from a little reading and remembering when I was a little older than him...

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

my lad wants to get himself a set of weights,hes only 14 and built like a shoe lace,is this something i should encourage him to do or is he to young to start yet, if he not to young to start where can i get the best info on how much and how often he should be training at that age,if he to young forget my last question cheers

I would be reluctant to get him some weights ,,,,unless you know what your doing,,,,

Get him to a gym,,,and get some guidance,,,as far as 14 goes it's no problem, but he needs to learn properly to lift a weight ect ect,,,

Is he not interested in other sports,,,boxing martial arts ,,football ,,rugby?

my lad wants to get himself a set of weights,hes only 14 and built like a shoe lace,is this something i should encourage him to do or is he to young to start yet, if he not to young to start where can i get the best info on how much and how often he should be training at that age,if he to young forget my last question cheers

I would be reluctant to get him some weights ,,,,unless you know what your doing,,,,

Get him to a gym,,,and get some guidance,,,as far as 14 goes it's no problem, but he needs to learn properly to lift a weight ect ect,,,

Is he not interested in other sports,,,boxing martial arts ,,football ,,rugby?

yeah il be honest i think a gym is the way to go as im clueless about the subject,start him off right i reckon cheers

I would have him doing body weight exercises like press ups, chin ups, step ups and such like until he's sixteen, then hit the weights. Mix in some light strongman exercises into a circuit like swinging a sledge hammer and carrying loaded bags, and that should give a good base of strength for his age. I find the main problem with novice lifters is that they don't eat enough food to gain mass.

• Like 2

c556 is spot on , at 14 body weight exercises and good diet is all he needs , I was taking my under 15s rugby team to a local cross fit gym , and the guy had worked out a session just for them , started with body weight exerccises and then slowly worked on lifting technique s with heavy balls and just weight bar . as he said proper lifting technique is safer and more important than what they can lift .

I see younger and younger lads in the gym I go to, normally rugby players seeking to get stronger, there was 2 in last night curling 10kg talking about creating etc....

A younger me would have said summat, now all I do is turn the headphones up

I personally would avoid the gym until 16 , and if that's not going to happen , I'd stick to heaves, dips and body weight things until then

• Like 1

He's still a young lad so serious resistance training probably would be a bit much but he is at an age where he will start to benefit from it. Or at least that seems to be the general concensus.

Here's a link with a bit of info. It's aimed more at kids younger than your lad but that in itself should reassure you.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson38.htm

Best advice would probably be to stick to compound lifts with attention to form and reasonably high reps. He'll see his body and ability improve which at his age will probably be satisfactory. If he's still in it in his later teens then with a bit more knowledge he can move onto heavy lifting and serious training having gained the knowledge of how to lift properly already.

As already said, Gnasher knows his shit. All that is just my opinion from a little reading and remembering when I was a little older than him...

yeh as he still growing, he will naturally change in the next 4-5 years getting bigger+stronger . I done weights +karate for 3 years , and never seen any lads in the gym younger than say 17-18 lifting weights . prob just using light weights 10-20lb dumb bells for few reps ,don't think that will hurt him, as he wont be over stressing is body with the above weights, and it will get him stronger anyway ,which he will prob like . my son does boxing training+weights+ circuit/training , and quite few young lads go there but only do boxing/circuit training don't think they use any weights, if they did its only light stuff. my son always kept fit with football from 8 years old - 27 year old , he lifts reps x6 200lb not bad with his b/w 160lb , he messed about with light stuff like above 10-20lb when young, few reps on light stuff don't think will hurt the lad :thumbs: