Gutting Rabbit in the field?

Ive seen it with my own eyes and so has Millet...ask him. Its a well known member of the forum who can do it...its incredible to see Jigsaw :yes:

MOLL.

my mate can do that too, he sort of twists the belly then swings it down verticaly and the guts come out the arse.

Yep, that sounds like how i have seen it done :yes::thumbs:

MOLL.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know someone who does a sort of spin and a flick, and all their guts come out of their bottom, no need to cut them open :sick:

MOLL.

Guys over here do the same thing. :blink: It works. Its funny to watch someone try it who doesn't know how though. The guts just start pooching out the :sick:

Cheers :drink:

I ALSO WEAR THE LATEX GLOVES NOW. ONLY £3 OF THE MARKET FOR A 100.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS OUT THE ARSE THING, I CANT EMAGIN THE STOMACH COMES OUT THOUGH.

WOULD LOVE TO SEE THIS ALL THE SAME.

• 5 months later...

Found this on: http://www.wikihow.com/Field-Dress-a-Rabbit

It gives you a step-by-step guide on how to gut a rabbit through it's a%#ehole.

Remove the entrails by squeezing.

1.Apply pressure from the bottom of the rib cage while moving your hand down to the rabbit's anus.

2.Repeat this process until you can feel the entrails loosen.

3.Be careful not to burst the bowel or intestine. Doing so will spoil your meat.

4.Spread your legs, and hold the rabbit by the front legs.

5.With the rabbit facing you, flip the rabbit down with moderate pressure.

6.Don't flip the carcass around too hard, or you might be wearing a hat of rabbit entrails.

7.The entrails will exit the rabbit through his anus.

Tried this and it works but be careful

:hunter:

One point I would add - when you open up your bunny's belly, make sure the cutting edge of the knife is pointing outwards.

What I do is with the bunny laid on its back, take a pinch of the skin and fur, pull it well away from the belly, and gently cut into that with the knife, to make a small hole big enough to get my fingers in between the skin and the belly.

Enlarge the holw with my fingers till I can see the belly underneath.

In a similar way. grab a pinch of the belly, making sure you haven't got any guts in the pinch (you can see the green colour of them through the belly). Carefully cut a nick in the belly, then insert the knife blade, cutting edge upward, and enlarge the hole until it's big enough to get the guts out. Like previous posters, I get my fingers around the stomach (two fingers between the stomach and the liver) and pull that out, with all the rest of the entrails following.

Another point is, when you finish the rabbit at home, make sure you get out the two grey-ish green scent glands between the hind legs. I cut a slit either side of the tail with a sharp knife, yank the tail upwards, then cut the tail and pull it out. That way, it usually brings away the scent glands and the anus together, leaving a perfectly cleaned rabbit.

Good luck, and enjoy your wholesome, low fat food!

MM

• 2 weeks later...

The first thing I would advise is to invest in a decent knife for a start, preferably one with a gut hook if your new to gutting, this avoids going in too far and splitting any of the gut internaly.

There are some good methods and tips in them posts though, start small think big, you will soon be an expert :D

• 1 month later...

When gutting, why use a knife at all? Rabbits have the thinnest skin of any game, just pull the skin apart with yer thumbs.

Makes me sad to hear of people cutting themselves whilst gutting a rabbit, haven't ya any common sense or coordination at all? And yes, a dull knife is a dangerous knife. Cool parlor trick to squeeze the guts out, what percentage of em end up splatting on yer face???

As for skinning, using a hatchet to take the feet off is hard on an edge, why not hyper extend the joint and slice the tendon? Bingo! Then tube it out.

• 5 months later...

What collie1612 says is by far the best. A English hawking man showed me this trick and it has saved me so much time and my hands dont stink when i come home any more.It takes practice and a bit of technique to get it right and i have seen far more powerfull men fail to squeeze the guts out of rabbit that i was able to pop out in a second. also i lost many a good knife gutting rabbits and not putting them back into the holster correctly. what i do is is similar to collie. but after i squeeze the ribs (rabbit is against my thigh back legs dangling down facing the ground) i then put my other hand directly under neath that and squeeze hard again pushing the guts out some times it needs 3 squeezes and as colliue said a quick flick and all hits the deck but dont undo all the good work by squirting it out on your dog our your company. they wont thank. bucks are harder to squeeze out than females..... i leave you figurew that out. but some of them you could drive a truck over and you wont squeeze em. will put a vid up in you tube if i get a chance during the week

the best way there is is like this ..hold the rabbit by the front legs, yes i did say front legs pull down on the back legs if you find the rabbit is going stiff .you need a stanly knife to use is the best way iv found ..find were the ribs start put knife in to the middle of the chest just under the ribs and draw the knife down to its back end stopping at its arse ..put the knife away ..hold the rabbit by its front legs and by its back legs so left hand holds the front legs and your right hand holds the back legs ..now bend the rabbit so its back is bent and the gut is faceing up and the guts start to come out of its belly ..now hold on tight to the rabbit and flick the rabbit to the ground but but dont let go ..all its guts should come out of the rabbit if you do it hard enough ..you could leg the rabbit after ,but you could put the cuts in its legs first ..i always try to gut out in the field .as i use it as fox bait :D