Gutting Rabbit in the field?

Hi chaps,

Im planning on bagging a few rabbits at the weekend and plan to gut them asap, can anyone give me a link or explain the quickest/easiest way to gut them?

I have done a search but unless im doing it wrong i cant find anything. Im only wanting to gutt them at first as some will be for the dog and then maybe look at skinning some and butchering for myself. Im sure theres loads of reference to this but just wanting a good link or method as there seems to be a few ways of doing it?

Thanks

Will

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out this site rabbit skining it will show a few ways to gut skin and joint a rabbit with pictures ,everyone has there own way i gut in the field cutting from the ass to the rib cage jiggel it about and the guts all fall out ,when jointing i just cut the back legs off and the saddle (meat on the back )you'l get to long strips of meat you can do this with out gutting ,the rest are for the ferrets. be sure to give in the insides a check like the kidneys for any white spots or abnormalitys.Im sure you'l get better advice of someone else but hope this helps.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Will; " First, catch your ..... " :laugh:

One bit of advise I'll always pass on to anyone looking at attempting to gut a rabbit for the first time is this: Splitting them wide open, holding their feet and 'flicking' their bellys at the ditch (Not this one, or there'll be hell to pay!) can and does work. It's a fair method when ye have several and they're for personal use. However, it leaves a result that looks a bit untidy and 'unprofessional'. Smaller hole in the belly fur is what most people look for. So .....

Assuming ye know how to despatch the bun? Then ye want to " Piss " it. I automatically do this as soon as it's dead. Then, just cut a nick through the skin and the underlying membrane which forms a sort of 'plastic bag full of guts'. What I then do is slip my forefinger and thumb in there. I push up, breaking through the diaphragm if necessary, and feel for the big, quite hard, ball. That's the stomach.

Feel to the top of the stomach and there's a distinctive connection. Pinch that and tear the whole ball out. Sling That in the ditch first. Then, in the words of a certain member of the S.A.S; " You can deal with the rest as ye see fit. "

Point I'm trying to make here is that there's really nothing much inside a rabbit to cause ye problems and grief. Except that stomach. Leave that little booby trap in there while ye practice any other method and it may burst. If it bursts? :sick:

Long and bitter experience has taught me to just take the time to remove it first. Takes seconds. Saves stinking like a slurry pit! ;)

Thanks for the advice chaps!

I think i have a pretty good idea now so all that remains is to catch the little buggers!

No doubt ill be back on monday asking how to get rid of this damned awfull smell after bursting the intestined all over myself! :sick:

Hi chaps,

Im planning on bagging a few rabbits at the weekend and plan to gut them asap, can anyone give me a link or explain the quickest/easiest way to gut them?

I have done a search but unless im doing it wrong i cant find anything. Im only wanting to gutt them at first as some will be for the dog and then maybe look at skinning some and butchering for myself. Im sure theres loads of reference to this but just wanting a good link or method as there seems to be a few ways of doing it?

Thanks

Will

firstly i piss the rabbit then holding it by the front legs i place the tip of knife at bottom of ribcage just pearcing skin and cutting [bANNED TEXT] down to the a**ehole, dont go to deep with knife as you will cut the shit bag :wallbash: guts should just fall out, get your hand in an get out wats left. use a sharp knife and good luck in catching those conies!!!!!!!! terriermad

Yep always de-piss them first. Like ditch shitter I do this as soon as they are dead. Then as everyone says cut from below the rib-cage down as far as you need to go. I ended needing stitches last month using a blunt knife to do this job which slipped into my finger so be careful. :icon_redface:

Once you get good at it you can do it on a barbed wire fence when you forget your knife. Always a good trick to know. :thumbs:

Yep always de-piss them first. Like ditch shitter I do this as soon as they are dead. Then as everyone says cut from below the rib-cage down as far as you need to go. I ended needing stitches last month using a blunt knife to do this job which slipped into my finger so be careful. :icon_redface:

Once you get good at it you can do it on a barbed wire fence when you forget your knife. Always a good trick to know. :thumbs:

you from Dumfriese hey? any chance you know anyone by the last name Henderson?

Edited by holy grail

you from Dumfriese hey? any chance you know anyone by the last name Henderson?

You have PM... :thumbs:

Ive seen it with my own eyes and so has Millet...ask him. Its a well known member of the forum who can do it...its incredible to see Jigsaw :yes:

MOLL.

my mate can do that too, he sort of twists the belly then swings it down verticaly and the guts come out the arse.

Ive seen it with my own eyes and so has Millet...ask him. Its a well known member of the forum who can do it...its incredible to see Jigsaw :yes:

MOLL.

my mate can do that too, he sort of twists the belly then swings it down verticaly and the guts come out the arse.

i recomend surgical gloges while gutting espeshelly befofreb lunch or putting your

hands near your mouth no shame in not shitting through the eye of a

needle :sick: