I bought a second hand HW80 (.177) yesterday to play with, it has a number of problems, not least of which is it looks as though a previous owner has removed the screws with a tin opener ! :o

He also hacked the end of the barrel off to remove the sight dovetails so he could glue a moderator on, present owner had managed to get it off but not all the glue. That's not a problen, I can smooth it off and recrown.

However the barrel has some lateral play when closed, enough to be able to wiggle it a bit. Can I cure this by adding extra shim washers or is it more drastic?

The piston does not slide easily, the piston seal is a tight fit and takes quite a bit of force to move it in and out. It appears to be the correct size but I've ordered another one. Could the inside where the piston slides need polishing? It tried it on the chorno and it was running at about 9.5 ftlbs, possibly a combination of the piston seal and the breech seal.

It appears to had had an OX spring fitted, square section, maybe that's why it jumps like a frightened rabbit when fired !

Can anyone suggest decent components for the rebuild - spring, top hat, spring guide etc.?

The trigger is pretty crap as well, even the front adjuster screw is missing but I can fix that OK.

:clapper: One good point, the wood is lovely !

Get a spring,too hat and spring guide from Sandwell field sports mate, top gear that's made to fit the spring perfectly. No harm in giving the insides a polish from the sounds of it, and a new piston seal too. 80's are built like panzers so with a bit of TLC there's no reason why yours shouldn't be spot on.

• Like 2

Fully concur with Wurz here here. There's got to be something really bad going on with a Weirauch springer internally to render it a useless write-off. I have a Titan spring fitted in mine which is on ticket, but, you can get Titan springs for sub-12 ft/lbs performance as in my HW77 .22. TW. Chambers are a mine of spares for your HW80. Look them up on the net. In my experience these Titans are superb springs for a Weihrauch rifle. Another route, as wurz suggests, is try Sandwell Field Sports/Tony Wall for one of their complete tuning kits. They'll do everything you need and a great service by your HW80.

Replace barrel pin and shims , ox might of scored the internals corsing the seals to glide rough also check the cocking shoe for ware and the piston rim to see if they have tried to shorten it to make it have more have power ATB mark

Yes agreed with all above good polish up will do the trick same with trigger I had one full of grit and crap good clean in warm soapy water then a generous spray of Brunox and a good wipe and polish all metal to metal contacts will be drastically improved titan round coil main spring nice fitting piston washer and your away.

Totally agree with all of the above.

Pm me if you need anything as I have lots of spares for 80s & 97s. Only thing i aint got the now is a 80 spring guide and .177 barrel. Plenty of everything else. I made shims from shim sheet. No need to add extra shims. The barrel pin takes a bit to tighten up. Every second hand 80 i buy has a wiggly barrel. A pair of home made shims bisley gun grease and a good tighten up then fit the lock nut to hold in place. New piston seals always need to be sized. Don't polish the inside of the cylinder unless its corroded. A good glean with rags and acetone then a very fine film of grease, tiny amount.

Thanks all for the advice.

thursdog - I've ordered a new barrel bolt, screws on the old one were pretty chewed up. The shims seem fine, I'll check and make sure the holes in the gun have not become oval before I fit it. I think the washers were missing as well !

Should I find the new piston seal is a bit tight do I just reduce the diameter with some 1200 grit paper?

thursdog - bought a new front adjuster screw for the trigger (it was missing) and now have the trigger just about perfect.

Fitted a new piston and breech seal, had to shave down the piston seal to get it to slide but it seems fine. Put the OX spring back in to try it and it's shooting OK, quite a bit of recoil but that could be the OX spring?

Sorted the barrel wiggle with a new barrel bolt and a good tighten, the shims are worn and need replacing ASAP.

Popped a few pellets off and got about 1" groups at 20 yards, I expect the recoil is not helping.

Now I need to sort out the rattling cocking lever, try and take out the rivet and slide fibre shin in.

I'll pop up some pics of my bits and pieces, it's great fun tinkering but quite a learning curve, so many variables. Alter one thing and it affects something else, alter two and you don't know which (or both) made the improvement - or not! Luckily my workshop is in open countyside so I can try them out of the door. :clapper: