best 4x4 make..poll

4x4 make  

279 members have voted

1. 1. makes( choose more than 1 if you want )

• toyota
    • land rover
    • mitzubishi
    • suzuki
    • diahatsu
    • nissan
    • lada
    • ford
    • jeep
    • izuzu/vauxhall
    • mercedes/unimog
    • other

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ive currently got a defender 90 which i am currently in two minds whether to sell or not its cold uncomfty wet and cramped but i know that it will get me anywhere me and the dogs need toget small enoughth to turn round in a country lane and more than capable of anything i throw at her but as she is also my only car i wouldnt mind some thing a bit comftyer but what can do what she can i wouldnt mind a twin cab pickup but ive seen them struggle where mine never noticed it was off tarmac infact im keeping her :thumbs:

Or the LADA COSSACK :whistling:....

I had one of these ,once,knew I was in trouble when I found a stirrup pump under the bonnet,the manual was in Russian,and the steering was so vague,it was like on automatic pilot,but it would handle any terrain,plenty of room in the back too ,[i was single and that was important then],but a girl friend told me it looked like an ice cream van ,and I was never that comfortable with it,drive a Terrano LWB now ,with the second row of seats out .suits me.Inan.

My toyota will do me fine , :yes: though round the farm its a 2.9 Isuzu t/cab. :thumbs: Its a scrapper and does what it says on the box never leaves the place. The disco gave out too rot and the 300 unit was good but the td5 csw was a expensive, :thumbdown: uneconomical :thumbdown::censored: ,poorly equipped, :wallbash: badly built, :angry: uncomfortable,s--t engined waste off money :sick: . And the slightest bit of rain on grass with those BFG's and she wouldn't move on the hill..............then the bitch caught fire :icon_eek: ..biggest waste off space IMHO..no-ones mentioned the..........Panda

Guest buster321c

Had a landrover and to be honest , i loved it , but it was unreliable to the extreme , and i could never trust it . Whenever it broke down it was expesive and generelly became a right pain in the arse !!!! But i did like it , nice drive , plenty of room , just i had to stop throwing money at it .

Guest buster321c

Had a landrover and to be honest , i loved it , but it was unreliable to the extreme , and i could never trust it . Whenever it broke down it was expesive and generelly became a right pain in the arse !!!! But i did like it , nice drive , plenty of room , just i had to stop throwing money at it .

Cracking pictures Devon, wheres that taken to looks familar.

Top two are a local quarry just outside Houghton, unfortunately though we lost rights to use it after idiots in the group used the gravel piles. Very dangerous and does loads of damage as tis is the stuff that is sold so that got stopped. Same with everything really, always the idiots that spoil things.

The last shot was Robin Hood's Bay near Whitby. Canny little site, just waste farmland but the farmer hires it out for the day. Hard terrain and really good fun.

I've got loads more I could post if anyone wants to see them.

Edited by Devon

Well, your all talking out your arses and that is a fact, Toyota :whistling: , what a load of billocks for a start.

Let's analise this and find out what people want for a start ( thats what those cunning Japanese do , apart from bayonetting wounded soldiers in there beds of coarse.)

What do you need in a 4 x 4 ?

If you just drive up and down motorays and go over the odd bit of grass, or pull a caravan or horse box it really don't matter as the thing won't have to do any serious off roading.

If your a keeper or farmer and want something for lugging shite about, then you would perhaps want a pick up or large spaced truck of some sort. Of coarse being a Farmer or keeper, you will have no friends at all and only need space for you and maybe one other so a pick up type vehicle will do.

The family man / sporting chap and general man about town/country, will want something he can be seen in and looks ok with the odd splattering of mud, enter Disco / Range Rover / Nissan Patrol / Land Cruiser etc etc etc.......

A bloke with a load of dogs and not bothered about his image at all, will go down the 90/ Defender route or maybe Fourtrack, possibly Disco van. Either way, this bloke is happy with his choice and really couldn't give a feck what anyone says or thinks. :thumbs:

Next come the Suzuki people, who want everything except space and do a damn good job of it too. In there you also find the Lada Cossack people but not so many these days and they spend there time trying to convince anyone and everyone, that Cossacks are really good and we should all have one. :wacko:

Bottom of the pile is the soft roader / general piece of crap that some one thought could make their company some money, no names, no pack drills, we all know what these things are. :kiss:

Finally, the scooby's, the lamping mans weapon of choice, usually found with a South Yorkshire tax disc and often spoted at night anywhere but South Yorkshire ( well you wouldn't want to go there would you ) expensive to insure and repair should they hit the odd straw bale at night or be 'borrowed' from your drive without permission. :(

So really, it is in the eye of the beholder and 'whatever floats you boat' cos one size certainly does not fit all and for every Hilux fan there is an sj 410 bloke telling you different.

Good debate though. :hmm: