223 Poor Grouping

Tbh if you can't get it on target at a range how can you do it in the field and if he wants more mag then so be it, I use 4-16 and simply put 3-12 is not enough for rabbits at extended ranges...depending on the quarry that is.

I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have.

Edited by celticrusader

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clearly your rifle is capable of grouping, that can be seen in the 25 and 75 yard groups, when it shoots to point of aim it is cloverleafing, fuc*ed rifles do NOT do that, however no matter how good y

Barrel cleaning? wots that?

Hi you will be far better off getting a lower mag scope with a better build quality than looking for a fandango objective size and high mag range. There are no or very fe

Posted Images

Have asked seller a few questions.

Would rather a x50 with more mag, current one is 6-24x50 and was showing quite good image...but...it's fecked. Beggars can't be choosers though.

Thanks

3-9 x50 Prostaff £185 brand new at Optics Warehouse.

Out of stock though

Edited by let'sshoot

Will save for a 3-9x50 Prostaff. As long as you folks reckon it's 100% my scope at fault, I'm glad it grouped fantastically at 25yds, just need a similar group at 100yds and I'll be very happy.

Don't like the sound of those on eBay, makes me wonder why they are selling - call me a pessimist but been bitten on eBay once too many.

Thanks

I'm no gun expert, I would guess it's the scope but before I weighed out 200 notes I would first try a different brand of ammo for the sake of £20...and also shoot a group of factory ammo with the mod off... I certainly wouldn't be doing all this testing with some home loads that someone else made up...

Just a question... if the scope was f--ked why would it group at 25? Surely if the point of aim was shifting it wouldn't group at any distance?

Hi let's shoot , just read the thread and lots of good advice out there . First of all there is nothing wrong with the rifle , I shoot one with very good accuracy . I would recommend just checking that the wood around the barrel is not touching as this can effect the harmonics when shooting , and it can be done by sliding paper between the barrel and fore end . If that's ok , then get yourself to a competent gunsmith or your local gun dealer and get him to sort you out . I can recommend a secondhand schmit and bender 6x42 with warne mounts and sako 50 gr game heads this will give you a light easy to use uncomplicated set up that can take a knock and is more than accurate enough for vermin control . Atb

You are covered on evil bay mate, if the scope is no good you open a case against the seller, he either refunds you (they always do so as not to get negative points) or ebay refund you and collect from the seller, so you have nothing to lose, I will say it once more, if you try another scope on it I.E your hmr scope, this will 100% confirm it is your scope, and optics warehouse are showing the 3-9x50 in stock 2 available?

• Like 1

I don;t know if you are interested but I have a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 3-9x50 for sale. Immaculate condition and little used. I'm only selling it because I fitted an illuminated reticule scope to my hmr.

It cost £169 and I'll take £120 (or near offer :) ).

• Like 1

I'm going to call my RFD and ask him what he can get me, he may be able to get a Nikon same as OpticsWarehouse for same money. I like to support local if they can get me a deal at internet prices.

Anyhow, I've no cash at the minute -so will have to wait.

Thanks

I must admit I kind of agree with Deerhound here.

Although I too am siding with the scope, for the sake of a box of ammo, which you'll need anyway, I'd buy some factory stuff and just shoot off a few rounds and see. You could buy Privi if your local dealer stocks it to keep the cost down. Otherwise just get the good stuff - Hornady V-Max.

...and as Deerhound suggested take the moderator off.

If it shoots the same at distance, with the factory ammo and no mod, then it's the scope (I'm assuming the rifle is clamped in a bench rest here, if not test in one to eliminate yourself!).

If it groups at distance OK then add the mod back and re-shoot. If it still groups at distance, then it's probably the handloaded ammo. If it doesn't, then it maybe the mod.

Elimination is the way to go and cheapest way to do everything but the scope is with a box of factory ammo, and if having elminated everything else out of the equation, you're only left with the scope, then it's confirmed for you anyway...

• Like 1

He has already shot one or two groups with the moderator removed, and it made no difference, the homeloads he has dont seem too bad, I bet if the rifle was clamped down they would cloverleaf, he has tried Reminton factory ammo, which was worse, it is entirely possible that it hates Remington of course, but it does seem to suggest that the reloads are quite accurate, although I would get another brand of quality ammo to try, knackered rifles dont generally produce cloverleaf groups, as this rifle has done, albeit at 25 yards then again at 75, and then suddenly start to spray everywhere. But shagged scopes can cause this odd problem.

Edited by charlie caller
  • Like 1

If the scope was knackered and changing point of aim by itself, why does it group well at close range?

I also assume the scope to be the problem, but like I said for the sake of a box of different ammo, then tried again with the mod off. Its just process of elimination starting with the cheapest first...

That is if the new scope mounts are all OK?

40 grain vmax to get you going and zeroed, you can then practice and fettle with homeloads, forgot to ask if you have made ammo before? Don't want to tell you how to suck eggs, but that's what I did, found the ammo my 527 liked which is hornady, but did try remington privi and Winchester, then I had a rifle I could go foxing with, whilst it was zeroed with that I started making my own which took a while but got it spot on in the end with advice from a few chaps off here including Charlie caller

• Like 1