223 Poor Grouping

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clearly your rifle is capable of grouping, that can be seen in the 25 and 75 yard groups, when it shoots to point of aim it is cloverleafing, fuc*ed rifles do NOT do that, however no matter how good y

Barrel cleaning? wots that?

Hi you will be far better off getting a lower mag scope with a better build quality than looking for a fandango objective size and high mag range. There are no or very fe

Posted Images

Well think of it this way letsshoot...if you had to sell anything it wouldn't be to bad trying to resell something that others wouldn't mind buying but if you had budget then its pretty much money wasted and its something you'll be lumbered with or will try selling to the unsuspecting.

Any news yet tho mate?

Mounts arrived this morning - Optics Warehouse sent me the 'medium' height though instead of the 'high' I ordered. No problem, they will go back in the post within the next hour or so, and so the wait begins.

Slightly gutted as I was really wanting to try it out. I'm hoping this will be it now though, I have faith (for now)

Thanks

• Like 1

Mounts arrived this morning - Optics Warehouse sent me the 'medium' height though instead of the 'high' I ordered. No problem, they will go back in the post within the next hour or so, and so the wait begins.

Slightly gutted as I was really wanting to try it out. I'm hoping this will be it now though, I have faith (for now)

Thanks

Did you try the mediums on the rifle mate?

This is a really frustrating thread and it seems the OP and quite a few of the contributors simply do not have a clue how to set up a rifle with scope and mounts.

It is pretty basic stuff but you do have to be slow and methodical.

Why oh why have you not adjusted the scope to bring the bullets closer to the centre of the target.

If you cannot see where some of the bullets are striking, use a bigger target!!!! or at least set things up so that your groups are nearer the middle and not in the bottom right hand corner.

I need to go and lie down......

• Like 1

This is a really frustrating thread and it seems the OP and quite a few of the contributors simply do not have a clue how to set up a rifle with scope and mounts.

It is pretty basic stuff but you do have to be slow and methodical.

Why oh why have you not adjusted the scope to bring the bullets closer to the centre of the target.

If you cannot see where some of the bullets are striking, use a bigger target!!!! or at least set things up so that your groups are nearer the middle and not in the bottom right hand corner.

I need to go and lie down......

Immensely helpful that, well done :hmm:

• Like 2

post-91791-0-18235400-1406628319_thumb.jpg

Another problem I came across - these mounts will be back in the post and I will search for ones which are tall enough.

Is it my scope that is a bigger than usual design at the eyepiece or is my bolt taller than most?

My scope is a funny shape at the back if I'm honest.

Anyhow, got to take these to the post office now - my error, so come on all you haters, tell me I have no clue and how ridiculous you find this thread.

Thanks to the genuine posters who are genuinely trying to help though, you now who you are.

Thanks

I had a frigging nightmare trying to setup my hmr a year or two back mate...sent back 3 sets of mounts! you just end up overlooking the basics and then they end up biting you on your ass.

That said chuck US a photo of the full setup of the scope and how it sits on the rifle if you can mate.

Hi let'sshoot

Don't misunderstand me..... It is frustrating to see someone struggling, and being advised to spend money, to set up a rifle and scope when the basics have not been followed. You have been allowed ownership of a centrefire rifle but do not seem to understand how to use it. That may sound harsh but actually I am on your side. How is someone supposed to learn these things? Apart from these forums, or having a knowledgeable mate, or joining a club (not my thing either), you are really left to fathom it out yourself, and it tends to be the blind leading the blind.

Your problem, as posted, is one of poor groups.

There are many possible causes and you have to analyse and work through step by step the possible cause, or causes (it could be a combination of factors).

This will involve a fair bit of paper punching and consequent expense in ammunition as well as time. There are no shortcuts if you are going to get it right.

Your earlier comment about not adjusting the scope until you have better groups is daft and suggests to me that you lack experience and do not really know what you are doing, sorry, no offence meant, we all have to learn.

Starting with your existing equipment...... This is what I would have done.

Remove the scope and mounts.

Thoroughly and properly (rod, jag, solvent) clean the rifle, the bolt, everything. Mega clean. That gives you a good starting point.

Fit the scope mounts, properly tightened.

Wind the scope vertical turret (elevation) all the way to the end (gently!) until it reaches the end stop. Wind it back all the way to the other end stop, counting the clicks. Now wind it half way back again so it is effectively centred.

Repeat for the horizontal turret.

Fit the scope to the mounts and make sure everything is tight.

Set up a big piece of card - at least 18" square with a cross drawn in the middle at about 50 yards and take one shot. If it does not hit the paper, move it closer to 25 yards.

You should not be too far off horizontally unless you have a mechanical problem. A scope should naturally be reasonably aligned horizontally if the mounts etc are all correct.

You may be quite a long way off vertically. You do not want to introduce any extreme adjustment using the scope turrets. If a lot of adjustment is required, shim the scope. Look it up on Google. The aim is to get reasonably close to the centre of the target with a scope adjusted to a fairly neutral position.

When you have done this, and it will not take many shots, you should be shooting reasonably close to the centre of the target at 50 yards. If grouping well, push it out to 75 or 100 yards in order to more accurately setup the scope.

You will probably get a 'feel' for if the scope is dodgy. Adjusting a few clicks either way should move the bullet impact point, adjusting it back again should bring it back to the same point. Too many people have their scopes adjusted to an extreme and it just will not function properly.

Now you can start thinking about group size. If the grouping is poor, start by trying different ammunition.

I would be shooting prone, off a good bipod in relatively wind free conditions. Everything needs to be rock solid.

And so it goes on......

Maybe the scope mounts are at fault (not as common as suggested in a low recoil rifle)

Maybe the scope is faulty

Maybe you are a bad shot

Maybe the ammunition is bad or not 'liked' by your rifle

Maybe the moderator is interfering

Maybe the crown is poor

Maybe it is just a crap rifle and you were sold a dud

Good luck, at the end of all this you will be a lot more knowledgeable, poorer but wiser.