223 Poor Grouping

Theres bugger all recoil on a .223, nowhere near as much as a spring airgun, but the thing is his mounts are fuc8ed in my opinion, not the scope(could be both of course) but his hmr mounts probably wont fit his .223, and if thet are knackered on the .223 its not going to tell him anything, no get some new mounts and go from there, I think you will find it will be sorted.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clearly your rifle is capable of grouping, that can be seen in the 25 and 75 yard groups, when it shoots to point of aim it is cloverleafing, fuc*ed rifles do NOT do that, however no matter how good y

Barrel cleaning? wots that?

Hi you will be far better off getting a lower mag scope with a better build quality than looking for a fandango objective size and high mag range. There are no or very fe

Posted Images

If you say the scopes a cheap one on the hmr I hope its a decent one of the bottom range brands, you did say its performing well...what make is it?

Had a look at a Nikon monarch on monday ..didn't get on with the reticle tbh as it was abit too thin for me but it was a lovely bit of kit and the boys in the store recommended them.

Had a look, the mounts won't fit off the HMR.

It's a Marchwood 3-9x50 - think it's only £40 new, but that doesn't bother me as long as I can see the rabbits, which I do, and I've seen two foxes through them, both foxes miraculously fell asleep when I pulled the trigger - That is enough proof for me that the scope is doing it's job.

As mentioned earlier, I've no interest in spending ££££££££££'s on a scope, or any other bits for my hobby.

Thanks

post-91791-0-64856100-1406127009.jpg

This is the board I shot at with an opened up large cereal box!!! As you can see I didn't have much joy - will try and clamp it tomorrow, or just go ahead and order them mounts.

What you think charlie caller? Those weaver mounts I posted earlier any good?

Thanks

I've gone for it, ordered those Weaver mounts. Hopefully that'll be the end to my problems - if not then I'm scrapping the bloody rifle. Piece of junk.

Would've liked to have seen it group whilst naked (no scope, no mod), but I didn't have the facilities today. Fingers crossed this'll be it.

Thanks all

Well yes I do agree...I'm no gun snob and dont like to buy into the spend £1000 just to see what some at a reasonable range can do, but think of it this way...I know that feeling you've been having as trying out the various techniques described to you wondering back and forth thinking to yourself and wondering if the next possibility will be the answer you've been looking for.

Truth be told doing things on the cheap will not help, either the guy before you has knocked or a cheap scope left angled over a period also has a chance of the reticle parts moving on its lonesome thus creating a situation where it can never truly be zeroed again and there for a bin job.

If your scope works on your hmr dont bother removing it just for the sake of testing it...there's no kick on a hmr and there is on a .223.

I know, see an earlier post where I said that as it is now, my setup is completely useless and worthless, sat in the cabinet like a lump of scrap metal, I am willing to spend on it, just not a silly amount.

Ordered new mounts anyhow, and if I'm not mistaken there was someone on here who said they had a £20 scope which does definitely hold zero which I could buy, but for now I'm going to wait for the mounts to come. The amount of kick from a .223 is nothing, but the mounts from my HMR won't fit the .223

Thanks

Edited by let'sshoot

Yeh that's good...tbh I used a 30-06 a few times last year and didn't have much of a knock on it..tbh I'd say a 12 bore has more.

Anyways you can pick up hawke scopes for £30 off eBay maybe a bit more if you look about....my mate runs one on his .223 and its good enough.

I use a 4-16x50 on my hmr and its good for the 150 yrd headshots all day long :)

Yes it was me who had the scope, but I dont think you will need it mate, I am sure the new mounts will do the trick, unless they have knackered the scope, but time will tell, try not to get too depressed mate, your rifle will be fine, IF you do need a new scope I would try and buy something decent seconhand, I have a Tasco world class that is sat doing nothing, which you could have for fifty quid or so, and it has lovely clear glass and is in mint condition, that would be better for you than a cheap Hawke etc, but lets see how it goes with the new mounts first, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Just to add like I said I have the exact same rifle, remington 55 grain accutips grouped like a shot gun but the 50 grain were I'd say about an inch group and hornady 40 v max are clover leafs, I had the same feeling when I had drove 20 mile to zero mine with a 25 quid box of remmingtons and came home with a useless rifle but after trying a few brands all became clear

Personally I would have took the mod and scope off, clamped the gun and fired 3 groups of different ammo... I know you said you couldn't today but that would have been my first step, it would have told you if it was the rifle or the ammo. Or neither !

Then if I got a group I would have stuck to the ammo that grouped best, then put the scope on and tried for another group not using the clamp, but using the scope...

Then finally the mod and tried for another group....

This would have been my (ammature) attempt at the process of elimination..

But reading back about your mounts not sitting straight and coming loose,I agree that they sound very suspect...

But you could still test the rifle like I said, naked in the clamp and some different brands of ammo...

Good luck

I only have the fmj homeloads and those remingtons which it doesn't like.

Clamping isn't an easy option - would mean taking a tractor down the field - to clamp to loader, clamps, which could damage the wood, or make the barrel not free floated.

This was why I just paid the £62 for mounts and be done with it. If it's not cured, then I'll see about a scope, if not I'll throw the bloody thing away.

Thanks