223 Poor Grouping

It will get sorted for him mate, it will be something simple, it usually is, I would never trust anyone else reloads, you never know what they have done, and there is no point trying to zero it with fmj bullets anyway, he wont be shooting foxes with them, or at least I hope not :huh:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clearly your rifle is capable of grouping, that can be seen in the 25 and 75 yard groups, when it shoots to point of aim it is cloverleafing, fuc*ed rifles do NOT do that, however no matter how good y

Barrel cleaning? wots that?

Hi you will be far better off getting a lower mag scope with a better build quality than looking for a fandango objective size and high mag range. There are no or very fe

Posted Images

Let'sshoot,

Keep at mate. All the good advice Charlie. and Celtic is giving you will pay off. Prior to taking your shot, what can you see down the bore of the rifle with the bolt removed. Is the cross hairs in the same place as where the bullets have hit the target or are the cross hairs on the bull? Just curious mate. Might be worth getting the bore sighted in line with the crosshairs and then trying a few factory rounds. Apologies if you've tried this already.

I definately agree with the ammo suggestion mate. Zero using the factory load if you didnt load yourself.

If I was a bit closer to you I got brand new Bushnell Banner 4-16x40 IR with mounts you could have tried

I've never had much joy with any 55gr FMJ bullets, they tend to be cheap and often not very 'cheerful'.

I had a CZ 527 in .223, it was my first centrefire, brand new looked the part but I never got it

to shoot anywhere near 'well' or even consistent.

My scope was not the greatest ( Simmons Whitetail Classic), and I started to reload at the same time

but after nearly 12 months I gave up and bought a new Browning A bolt Varmint (22.250) instead,

that was MUCH better, and when I could afford it I bought a better scope (Leupold VX3), that combo

was excellent.

As for bullets Hornady V-Max and Nosler Varmint were the best for me.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with CZ 527s I had one in .22 hornet, it was a tackdriver, my mate has one in .222 that is also a tackdriver, for the .22 hornet they are the best platform on the market, I would recommend one to anyone, in any of the .22 cf calibres, that mini Mauser action is great.

hi mate, could well be the mounts as said, but if you are shooting with a mod fitted its worth trying a few shots without the mod, I know point of aim may be different but if its nearer centre then bullets could be just shaving the exit of the mod ---worth a try :hmm:

LD

These were all with mod - mod is as new. Rifle was screwcut when I bought it, then I bought a brand new wildcat mod to put on - the gunshop fitted it for me. I was told a mod would help with accuracy as it would stop barrel flip.

The factory rounds were much worse. 2 out of 5 shots grouped like the others - the other two shots, maybe 25cm away, the other - I don't know, into the bank I'm thinking.

Will upload photos when I have the laptop.

Really had enough of this rifle, I'm loving my HMR, shoots where you expect it to. This 223 is dire, tempted to ask for variation and get another brand new 223 as I have all the reloading gear for it. Then eventually sell this one, as we are on bad terms now, that rifle ain't no friend of mine.

Thanks

Only joking mate but on a serious note breathing technique plays a big part, not telling you how to suck eggs and I have only had my cz 527 223 for 12 months but I have got my groups really small now and it was just practice, shooting on the exhale etc and by the way my 223 loves 40 grain vmax, I have just got in from shooting crows on barley stubble great fun shooting off a window rest in my jeep had a few first one was a 60 yard magpie and the last one was a 240 yard carrion crow it just dusted them! Keep your pecker up mate you will sort it atb

There's only a limited number of things it could be? Charlie callers advice sounds good to me, try to work through it with the process of elimination...like Cc said first try some factory ammo, maybe a couple of different rounds...

Then try scope mounts? Mod off? Scope? Just change one thing at a time until you find your problem...

I'm no expert but after trying to sort out some electrical issues on my land cruiser this sounds easy and could be a rewarding challenge!!

Good luck!

• Like 1

Let'sShoot

Got to try and rule out your scope. As I said earlier, I had exactly the same problem with my scope on my HMR. The scope looked fine, but it wasn't. Didn't realise this until I borrowed a mates.

Sorry if i am stating the obvious here or, something you have already tried. Put your rifle on a very steady platform with your bolt removed, ( I think you said you had a bench rest). Once you have done this, look down the barrel of the rifle and line it up with your target. Then look through the scopes without moving the rifle. See where the cross hairs line up. If they are off adjust them until they are on. So whatever you're looking at down the bore, the cross hairs are lined up on. Pick up the rifle. Give it a little shake, tap the scope a few times as if you are mimicking a recoil. Put it back on the rest and line the barrel up again with the target. If the cross hairs are smack on with the target as well, try a round. It doesn't matter at this point if the bullet hits the target, you are looking for grouping. Fire another round and another until you have a flier. The moment you have a flier, remove the bolt and repeat what I have said above. If the cross hairs match what you are looking at, down the barrel, I think you can rule out the scope unless those mounts or something else has worked loose at this point. If the cross hairs don't match what you are seeing down the barrel, then I think it's safe to say it looks like your scopes.

Once again, apologies if you have already tried this. But, if you haven't it may be worth a go to rule out your scopes.

Just to add a mate of mine recently had a faulty hawke scope on his .22lr, it was all brand new, when zeroing it would change poa all by itself!!

Absolutely mate. Let'sshoot needs to rule out his scopes.

Agreed, the time has come to try new scope and mounts on it, get some mounts ordered, beg steal or borrow a scope, then go and zero it, with some different ammo, Hornady, Winchester etc, when you say the shop fitted the mod for you, have you just left it on, or removed it after shooting? Your rifle is doing exactly what a pal of mines .22-250 was doing, it was the crown, I know you say you have checked it, and I am not trying to make you look silly, but just to be sure can you post some pictures of the crown, from the end of the barrel mate, you need to shoot it without the moderator on as well, to rule out any moderator issues, dont give up, I know how pissed off you are getting, but you WILL sort it, the answer is there, you just need to find it.