.22-250 Newbie Advice

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Weatherby are threaded 1/2"unf good gun for the money having had a rem700 and a weatherby it prefer the weatherby

The twist rate will be standard 1-14 for a .22-250 designed for 50-55 grain bullets mate. That was Charlie Callers advice to me on a previous post mate

Thanks for the advice Charlie. My thoughts exactly with the .243 & 22-250. I suppose they make the decisions on that extra energy and the ability to shoot a heavier load?? I don't know, maybe the

I never use a rod, I use a pull through, with a patch soaked in Phillips barrel cleaner, leave it to soak for five minutes, then patch it out until they come out clean, I do it somewhere between 50-100 rounds, it leaves the barrel sparkling, and removes all traces of lead and CARBON (the worst one) fouling, been doing this on the same rifle for nine years now, with handloads it groups five shots into a 5p sized ragged hole if I do my bit, a guy I shoot with has a .222 he has had it for around 15 years + and has never cleaned it, and it is (as are all .222s) a tackdriver, I think people clean rifles far too much, I have an aquaintance in the states who builds some superb rifles, and is very clever in regard to firearms in general, if you ask him about his cleaning regime, he will reply, "cleaning" Ive heard of that :yes:

CC I don't understand what lead would be in your barrel just as I don't get why Sdan wants to relead his barrel surely you mean copper?

I sometimes fire cast bullets, without a copper jacket mate, not very often but like to give it a wipe when I do, but its more carbon than anything.

I never use a rod, I use a pull through, with a patch soaked in Phillips barrel cleaner, leave it to soak for five minutes, then patch it out until they come out clean, I do it somewhere between 50-100 rounds, it leaves the barrel sparkling, and removes all traces of lead and CARBON (the worst one) fouling, been doing this on the same rifle for nine years now, with handloads it groups five shots into a 5p sized ragged hole if I do my bit, a guy I shoot with has a .222 he has had it for around 15 years + and has never cleaned it, and it is (as are all .222s) a tackdriver, I think people clean rifles far too much, I have an aquaintance in the states who builds some superb rifles, and is very clever in regard to firearms in general, if you ask him about his cleaning regime, he will reply, "cleaning" Ive heard of that :yes:

CC I don't understand what lead would be in your barrel just as I don't get why Sdan wants to relead his barrel surely you mean copper?

I sometimes fire cast bullets, without a copper jacket mate, not very often but like to give it a wipe when I do, but its more carbon than anything.

How do you get on with them mate only time I use cast is in my pistols

Ok Cheers Dan. Just takes the hmr a few fouling shots to get it back on poi

How do you clean it and do you patch out with alcohol ?

I only clean out with a little oil on a brush then patch until only clean patches are left

If you patch out the oil before you shoot with meths or alcohol you shouldn't need the fouling shots that said the way you clean will not have removed any fouling from the barrel

How do you get on with them mate only time I use cast is in my pistols

Not bad, I am only loading them at mild velocity at the moment, they seem accurate though, I must admit, I have met guys who use them a lot on deer, and they report good results, but on live quarry I will stick to normal bullets for now.

Ill have a look at some alcohol solvents thanks. Anyone no of the variation waiting time for West mercia?

Thanks

Just get some Phillips gun barrel cleaner and a pull through mate it is all you will ever need :thumbs:

that won't remove copper though mate

Dan: Didnt your certificate come back today? Give them a ring.

Ok guys, could somone sum it up for me in a couple of easy steps. What is the best way to get my barrel in pristine condition after, say, 100 shots through my 22-250, (when i get it that is (-: removing al traces of fouling, copper and any other contaminates. I see from above, opinions are varying.

What are Cast Bullets. Are theya special bullet you can purchase? Sorry if I sound a bit dull chaps, but I honestly havent heard of them. What are they used for, when and how. As soon as I think Ive got all your advice on boardsomeone says Cast Bullets (-: So much to learn.

CharlieCaller: Think you sent me a PM by mistake. (-: Was it meant for Let'sshoot?