.22-250 Newbie Advice

Firstly, I apologise because I know there are some posts ongoing regarding this calibre and I have read through a few of them.

I have just been granted a .22-250 (without a mentoring condition :yes: Happy days) on my certificate. Certificate has just come back and they have kindly opened my .17HMR. So I am extremely happy and I have got that happy feeling, which I think we've all had, whereby I want a rifle right now :cray:;)

But, I know I have too exercise patience because I am new to the centrefire world. I have been reading a lot, and shopping a lot. I have also read a lot about barrell wear and understand the importance of it. So, I've decided, (unless its someone I can really trust or has got a good reputation), to buy a new rifle. I have looked at Sports Man Gun Centre because it is very close to me and they have been a great bunch in the past. They have listed:

Weatherby Vangaurd Mk2 Syn/Blued Carbine .22-250 Rem 20 Inch £499.99 exc vat£599.99

However, it doesn't say if this is threaded.

2.They also have the same model as above, at the same price, but with a 24" barrell.

Remington 700 SPS Varmint Threaded .22-250 Rem 26 Inch £536.66 exc vat£643.99

Its gonna take me a little while to save up for a rifle in these price ranges, but I am half way there. So I've got plenty of time to read and learn hopefully from you guys. I want to ask is if anyone has any ideas or experience on the Weatherby brand of rifle? If they have, how would you say they would compare to the Remington

I have also noticed the difference in barrell lengths. What does this mean for the shooter. Is 20" better than 26" or is it just easier in the field due to the length of barrell??

Should I have to worry much about twist rates if I am going to be sticking to 50-55 grain rounds?

If the Weatherby isn't threaded, would it be worth me putting the extra pennies toward the Remington? I dont know the cost of getting a barrell threaded.

I am sorry about all the questions guys, but I want to get everything clear in my head before I go and make a purchase further on down the line. I have also been considering second hand so if anyone knows of a rifle from a very trustworthy person I would love to know.

Thankyou for any help/advice

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Weatherby are threaded 1/2"unf good gun for the money having had a rem700 and a weatherby it prefer the weatherby

The twist rate will be standard 1-14 for a .22-250 designed for 50-55 grain bullets mate. That was Charlie Callers advice to me on a previous post mate

Thanks for the advice Charlie. My thoughts exactly with the .243 & 22-250. I suppose they make the decisions on that extra energy and the ability to shoot a heavier load?? I don't know, maybe the

Thats fine Dan. Thanks for the reply. Every bit of info is invaluable to me. I did write a bit of an essay.

By the sounds of your experience, I am not going to go too far wrong with the Weatherby. If they are threaded then its going to save me a bit of cash.

Cheers

Congratulations maktayla , you seem to have done your homework mate and have an idea of what you want so get a list together of what's in your top 5 or 10 and get down SGC and have a look n feel of what takes your fancy...there's plenty of options and I think that's the confusing part.

Edited by celticrusader

Thankyou CC. Yes you are right, plenty of options and it can get a bit confusing. However, this is one part of the sport I also enjoy. The research, reading others reviews, ideas and so on and on. Even videos.

I am still intrigued though with regards to be barrell length. Is it an important factor? If the barrel is longer will the bullet retain more energy and so on. Or, will it be so small a comparison between a 20" and 26" for example, that it doesnt really matter (cosmetic) and it could come down to my own personal taste in rifle. Does a thick varmint barrel have any advantages over a standard barrel?

P.s Got to get one before Xmas :angel::yes: I have a scope and mounts and it's just not the same out in the field without a rifle to put them on. :blink:

Longer barrel may mean more velocity but you must temper that against usability a 26"barrel plus mod is pretty unwieldy heavy barrel versus standard on a hunting gun it is simply a mater of how strong your shoulders are

Its as I thought Dan. I think I'll go for the shorter barrel. There cant be that much difference in velocity I'm sure. No matter what it is, hit a fox and it's dead. Is there a moderator that goes over the barrel as oppose to the one I have on my HMR which screws on to the end of it?

Wildcat predator adds two inch's but goes over the barrel mate and this is what I'm looking at as my mates got one and its pretty good in all fairness, dont think there would be much difference in velocity with extended barrel tbh, personally ive been more concerned of the twist on the barrel of the rifle I'm buying as if I'm loading heavy for deer if and when I do go out I've been told that would be something to consider.

Yes you're right Dan. From what ive read I think 1:12 / 1:14 is standard. I've managed to dig out some info on twist rates:

The .22-250 shoots a wide range of bullets very effectively, from 35gr flat-based varmint bullets, to ultra-long 90gr VLDs. However, you’ll need the right twist rate for your choice of bullet. For max velocity and accuracy with the lightest bullets, a 1:14″ twist may be ideal. More versatile is a 1:12″ twist that will allow you to shoot the popular 60-64 grain match bullets. For normal lead-core jacketed bullets, a true 1:9″ twist will let you shoot up to 75gr bullets (except some longer VLDs). The Hornady 75gr BTHP shoots very well in a 9-twist .22-250. Since most .22-250 Rem shooters prefer bullets in the 50-73gr range, a good “do-it-all” solution is a 9-twist.

Dont know if its true though Dan but I have heard its hard to come by a 1:9 I have heard Savage do them ?? I think a 1:12 / 1:14 is ideal