.22-250 Newbie Advice

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Weatherby are threaded 1/2"unf good gun for the money having had a rem700 and a weatherby it prefer the weatherby

The twist rate will be standard 1-14 for a .22-250 designed for 50-55 grain bullets mate. That was Charlie Callers advice to me on a previous post mate

Thanks for the advice Charlie. My thoughts exactly with the .243 & 22-250. I suppose they make the decisions on that extra energy and the ability to shoot a heavier load?? I don't know, maybe the

Ive left my hmr with a rfd and done a 1 for 1 variation so it's free. I sent my variation off on Wednesday and feo said I should have it back by following Wednesday. (Fingers crossed)

Ive got a brand new zastava m70 sporting rifle with the mini mauser action and 5+1 floor plate mag.

Got my fingers crossed for you as well Dan. It took 4 weeks for me to get mine back but we all know how Police forces vary.

Of course, I seen your post on the Zastava and it looks like good rifle.

I originally sent in for .243 but I had a phone call from the FEO and he said I could have the .243 but I would need a mentoring condition on it because it was my first centrefire. I did this because I have been asked to accompany a mate who does a lot of deer stalking and some of the land I shoot has deer on it. I thought about it for a while and I knew it was going to be hard for me to have a mentor because of how often I go shooting and the amount of different farms I go on. And, to be honest, even though I love watching the videos and would love to go on a stalk, I am not ready yet to go for deer. He then told me I could go for a 22-250 and he would be able to get me that without a mentoring condition. This was great for me because I have approximately 4000 acres of land to shoot on and, I meet the farmers whose land I shoot over on a regular basis where I work in an abattoir. Its quite common for them to see me when I'm working and tell me they have a fox or two causing them problems. With the 22-250 and no-mentoring condition, and when I get my rifle, I can just get up and go and have no worries. Its amazing how many shots at foxes I have not been able to take with my HMR because I was not happy that it would be a clean kill. Just last weekend I let three past me because I could not get a clean head shot. If it was a 22-250 it would have been a different matter.

So I'm getting a bit frustrated now because I have a few foxes I need to take care of but it seems to be taking forever to save for the rifle. Never mind, there is still something special when I'm out hunting with my HMR.

Good idea that with the RFD

I want to thank you all for your help / advice.

If any one does come across someone selling a 22-250 with moderator, please PM me. Ill keep an eye out in the classifieds but someone may know something that is not listed.

I already have a scope and mounts.

Thanks everyone

Yes youre right CC but, with work n family life when I do go shooting I tend to spend it around my own shoots. Got quite a lot of land and there are problems from squirrels, rabbits, pigeons through to foxes. It just wasnt working out for me and mate and we just couldnn't get the same time off.

It was the mentoring condition that stopped me going for the .243. I need to be able to go out as and when. Never mind. The .22-250 has plenty of powe and is more than enough for me and the foxes. I'm in no rush for a .243 and i,ll use the time I spend with the 22-250 to my advantage and gain the experience I need.

Fair play tho most people would give there left arm to be in your position mate....4000 acres is an awesome amount of land but I know what you mean as my mate works away all round the UK monday to friday and I work shifts its hard to plan hunting trips or range days around this.

Yes CC. I am very lucky when it comes to land. Some of it I aint even been on yet. Meet lots of farmers every single day and have got to know quite a few as friends.

As for the 22-250 , you're right. I know the .243 is the deer round and can shoot a heavier bullet but all I'm after at the moment is fox. The FEO. called me when I was in work an we had a good conversation. He did suggest a .223 to me but strangely enough I knew more about the 22-250. There some that will say I should'have gone for the .223 because of expense and other reasons but,I think I have made a good decision.

Yeh that's fair mate, I went for .243 for fox but with the plan on the odd deer stalk closer to home and he was happy enough as my original idea was for .223 for muntjac which he was thinking wasnt such a good idea but then i suggested .243 and he said that would be a better idea.