looking for an underkeeper possition or a position whitch will lead to or help finding

its a long shot but ive always wanted to be a keeper my best mate was a under keeper a few years back i used to work with him every day and i just never stoped wishing that one day i wanted to be a keeper . well im 20 ive always been keen on hunting and fishing ive always done beating ive done trea planting on an estate stalked a little on an estate (succesfully) trapped succesfully on an estate done some phesant feeding pen fixing done a good bit fox work and on the estate we worked there were badgers whitch were always left at piece they were part of a conservation skeme and we made sure they were on our list of keeping clear from poaching . i know a decent bit about being an under keeper as i was on an estate for a year with my mate and i was on hand helping with everything from cutting grass feilds to catching stoats weasle mink rat grey squirel crow magpie fox rabbit in a vast collection of traps i also had to walk and feed the keepers 6 dogs aswell as do my own we also done a extensive amount of tree planting we even used to set up all the big tents etc for the big partys and open days on the estate carpark control to working on the gate to even first aid to a cut hand . i was going to join the game keeping course this year but there were no possitions when my mate was on the course i was at every shoot day and most practicle days . if i cant find a possition depending on my money situation i will be on the course next year if i cannot find a possition in the industry before hand .

so theres a little about what ive done i have my standard grade's and at the moment i work 6 days a week four 12 hour shifts and two 14 hour shifts as a fabricator and timber kit manufacturer (joiner) ive always been out with guns dogs and on beats and this 6 day a week hours stuck in a factory is getting to be a right pain id much rather be out up to my knee's in anything thrown at me . id be willing to take a possition pritty much anywhere if there was acomodation available obviously would pay rent or be deducted from wadge dependant on how the estate was to work would be willing to buy property near buy or on the estate if available as i have a bought house at the moment .

i know there is alot yto read and its a very long shot but any help advice on getting such a possition or even the chance of a possition would be very very well apreciated .

regards kris.

Hi chris

I used to waork as a keeper myself,i done the coarse at borders collage then went on to an estate in ayrshire wich was the worst move of my life !

the head keeper is a complete moron.......he pocketed 80% of all tips,kept back money that he was given to buy water proofs for myself and a colauge never helped out during the rearing season and hs been theough numerous underkeepers since me.

he has reasently talked another keeper into leaving his headkeepers job to work as an underkeeper for him with the promise of more money ect ect

the lad handed in his notice after a few weeks because of the way he was being treated.

I'm not trying to put you off Chris but just be carefull wich job you take on mate, better to take yer time and find the right job for you !

ask how long the underkeepers have been there before you and make some enquiries before accepting the job.

good luck mate

rick

i know what your saying rick there are alot of people out there like that the estate i used to help on was a realy good one but due to to the way my old friend left the job i cannot see me getting a job on the estate ive not spoken to the keeper since and havent spoken to the freind in 2 years either .

what would be the best way of finding something ? calling estate's or just bye asking around or ? as i havent seen any possitions advertised .

thanks for the advice rick :)

speak to any keepers you know...get them to ask around for you...

these jobs are rarely advertised its all word of mouth,

you'v missed a real opertunity to get yer foot in the door during the summer when keepers are at there busiest(the rearing season)

but if i was you i would have a phone round,leave yer details and ask them to contact you if and when anything comes up.

offer to help out with the beating and generaly help out...that way you'll get noticed and even if there is no possition for you on that particular est you could ask for a refferance or might be recommended o other keepers.

hope you get the break you'r looking for mate

all the best

Ricky

i will get a few freinds to ask around for me and phone the places round me and leave my details im going to try and get on a beat this year as i want on any last year and miss being out working . thanks alot for the advice and information its realy helpfull stuff .

regards kris

Hi kreet Im a fully qualified keeper did 4 years at The North Highland College in Thurso. If you are intrested in getting in to keepering give them a call at the college and they will put you on to John Waters or Richard Mcnicol the tutors.

You would be able to do the National Certificate (NC) and then to progress on to the Higher National Certificate (HNC) as the first 2 years are Skill seekers and you need to be 16 so counts you out.

If you want contact details give me a pm and I will pass on the details or if you need advice.

Regards highlander.

thanks guy's thats great ill check the shooting time's i always get the country mans weakly ill get the times all the time now too .

highlander; i was going to do the nc and hnc at the college just up from me in cupar but they were out of spaces this year but im on next years list of starts anyway . thanks if i nead any more info ill let you know . can you start that course at any time of year or is it a seasonal start date aswell ?

regards kris .

wish you all the luck mate, iv just finished two years at sparsholt and have bin keepering for 5 years part time. bin to countless interviews but it aint easy gettin ya foot in the door, especially if ya want to stay put in ya home town. jobs in shootin times r a great way but just be careful as to [bANNED TEXT] they want and what thier like, alot of advertisments just want lads for the hard work in the rearing season! trouble with shoting times is the amount of people lookin there. youd be better off tryin to do a coarse at a collage, if some ones got that bit of paper you aint then garuntee that job is theres! just try and whore ya self about at home, get known! dont wanna put you of but it aint easy. wish you luck!

Aaron

cheers Aaron i know its not easy like but going to try and look about and see whats about if i dont get anything ill be going on the coarse next year if a position came up id be more than willing to move im planing on moving anyway . thanks for the advice

regards kris

thanks guy's thats great ill check the shooting time's i always get the country mans weakly ill get the times all the time now too .

highlander; i was going to do the nc and hnc at the college just up from me in cupar but they were out of spaces this year but im on next years list of starts anyway . thanks if i nead any more info ill let you know . can you start that course at any time of year or is it a seasonal start date aswell ?

regards kris .

Yeah I had people from there coming to see me mate when I worked in Ayrshire but then I think the colleges split up. I think that if someone drops off the course you may get a start but try all the colleges mate as one might have a place better to have your fingers in a few pies no point sitting waiting on the phone call phone around.

You have a better chance of getting a job with qualifications these days mate.

Regards highlander

Edited by highlander

hi chris well good luck in getting a under keepers job i was always wanting to be a keeper aswell but i was lucky to get a break and a goose guide gave me a chance and bingo all started at 14 yrs old and now i am self-employed its great

chris it was a shame what your mate chris did on the estate at that is one of the best around also kenny is a cracking keeper and could have taught you lots i think kenny will not hold nothing aginst you for what chris done give him a call and ask to go beating but i really hope you get a under-keepers job

chris a other job that might intrest you and is a great job is pest-control

all the best

i always remember you doing the geese from years ago , the boys a clown he had it made there like i used to be there with him all the time kenny is a good guy ill give him a shout and see what he say's . i thought about pest control aswell but its getting the foot in the door somewhere eh and didnt think there were much jobs about here fro pest control . illo deffo be trying to get an under keeper job but if that doesnt work out i have plans for my own buisness in the future but realy would like to be a keeper one day . cheers for the advice lee hows your buisness going going ?

regards kris .