Written Permission

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's also about covering your back.   Paper = proof. Verbal = stuffed if the farmer for any reason denies giving you permission.   Last time I looked, armed trespass was pretty serious. Don't take

[/url]">http://   As you can see this is mentioned in items B, C & D of this section of the Act.

Let me remind you of the OP......   "Whats the crack on written permission for a. 22lr do you have to have written permission by the landowners or just the land deemed suitable by the cheif ?   .2

I am not sure why so many people shy away from asking for the permission to be confirmed in writing.

One possibility is that a fair number of people lack the confidence to be able to draft a suitable letter and therefore avoid the issue. Others may take the view that it is pointless, their word is good enough.

Personally, I NEVER regularly shoot on land for which I only have verbal permission and ALWAYS get the landowner, farmer or whoever to sign and date a note that I have pre- prepared for them.

It has never been an issue and adds a more professional touch. We each have a copy, valid indefinitely until cancelled in writing by either party.

Dekers is right, you are not required to have 'written' permission, just 'permission'. I doubt that Dekers does much shooting on land that he does not have 'written' permission to be on though. And yes, of course you will need 'written' permission for a suitable piece of land in order to obtain a firearms licence in the first place.

It is just about stacking the odds in your favour. You never know what is around the corner. I used to trust people and take them at face value much more than I do now. Having been 'stung' a couple of times and badly let down by someone I naively thought I could trust I am a bit more wary.

Here is a little story, nothing to do with shooting.

My son works for a national retailer. They use plastic storage boxes. His manager told him that he could have some if he wanted them so he brought a few home. They are expensive and not a disposable item. My son, who has some learning difficulties, could not understand why I told him to return them.

Basically, the goods are the property of the retail company. The manager is effectively giving permission for theft. He, of course, would deny all knowledge if my son got caught. My son does not think he did anything wrong, arguably he didn't.

The manager is out of order. Now if my son had permission from him in writing....... that might be different.

• Like 2

Hand writing can be analysed.... that's a precise science is it? Or one of those subjective sciences?

The Courts have experts in that field whose evidence they will accept and trust.

I doubt it would ever go so far as to require that, as most people lying would cave in long before that stage when things got serious. However, there is some comfort knowing that you have a better level of proof if it's in writing.

I have recounted this before, but my own father put in for an FAC many many years ago having built up a relationship with a farmer, (I actually think he shot with shotguns over his land), and the farmer agreeing verbally to him using it over his land. When the FEO contacted the farmer, he denied not only giving him permission, but even knowing him!

That should serve as a warning as to what can happen. Luckily this was pre-grant, but if it had been post grant, the outcome could have been very different.

Do yourself a favour and talk to BASC legal. Some areas differ in approach. Given the total lack of plod intelligence with the laws its best to have written. Some even advise telling plod when and where you will be shooting on the day, or night. Myself I think thats OTT, but the days of wandering freely with gun in hand are over.

Don't give anti shooting types any reason to quote "another armed man on the loose".

What it takes in preparation can save a deal of heartache later.

• Like 1

I take your point but a mail satchel full of permission letters is not going to stop an anti phoning and saying "man with gun walking about" is it? probably the only way to avoid hassle there is to tell plod you are going on a certain bit of land, I would only do that personally if I was shooting somewhere near dwellings, otherwise, I do not see the need I am carrying out a lawful activity, so dont see why I should have to.

Tell that to two lads I knew years back. Shooting next to the M25 with air rifles rabbiting. No papers carried, M25 closed and them arrested by armed response teams and held overnight. They had the permission, carrying the letter would have saved a lot of fuss.

Who said sackful? Or can you shoot in four different places? As for shooting near dwellings, well nowadays a bit daft that.

Well I do have a licence and I know it may seem stupid me asking the question now! But just the other day I phoned the fad for a land check and the land was covered up to a 243. The lady on the phone didnt really seem as helpful or shall I say didnt sound like she knew what she was talking about and asked me to send the relevant information in such as written permission. When I have never had to on the other accessions. Juat land checked n away I go! Anyhow I think I will get written permission to cover my back thanks for all the help happy shooting

I think this discussion could go full circle, probably has. The Deer Act shows sensible and clear direction.

The one thing to remember from this, as always for me anyway. We live in an anti gun culture. Anti hunting as well.

Not being clued up is asking for bother, so why not just be sensible?

I reckon only the few forces that have wildlife officers, and they are very thin on the ground, will have an understanding. The average plod is clueless, the clerks more so. That is more true in urban areas.

I shoot, always have done. Even I have a tale of gross stupidity. My neighbour has a four acre field that borders me for about 150 yards. He moved in with his self certification in place, lets say he is older, in fact he is 80.

Two years ago a .22 round whistled passed my head missing by a few feet, you can feel it. I complained to him, got told to f... off. So, I called old bill, he had been popping off at pigeons for a few months in all directions. Plod visited him, low key. It stopped for six months. One night two years ago I was potting up some plants, bang. A dead woody dropped ten feet away from me, then bang again, a round hit the side of the house.

My wife, as always sensible, stopped me going round. We were concerned for our grand daughter who plays in our paddock by now, plus public safety. Folk ride and dog walk within a hundred yards of this fellows holding. We complained to the FLO. Chummy received a visit and was told enough, next complaint and bye,bye FAC. We got that in writing. Safety? He broke many, many rules of being a safe gun.

Now thats one shooter complaining about another. That is one reason I think we all must use common sense. Not only shoot safely, do not become lax, or worse arrogant. When wandering, or wherever, carry the written word with you.

Given my own experience, and a few other idiots I could mention with shotguns, think how ignorant Joe Public sees us.

• Like 1

That is a section of the Deer Act relating to the terms under which deer may be shot out of season, what has that got to do with the subject at hand!

You asked for legislation! :)

The OP is talking about .22lr, what has the Deer Act and the specific terms under which you can shoot deer out of season got to do with .22lr?

Edited by Deker

Decker is right written permission is not required when you fill in an application for an fac it requires you state where and for what purpose you want to use the firearm but you do not need to have that in wrighting I have held an fac for nearly 25 years now and never once had a letter of permission