Written Permission

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's also about covering your back.   Paper = proof. Verbal = stuffed if the farmer for any reason denies giving you permission.   Last time I looked, armed trespass was pretty serious. Don't take

[/url]">http://   As you can see this is mentioned in items B, C & D of this section of the Act.

Let me remind you of the OP......   "Whats the crack on written permission for a. 22lr do you have to have written permission by the landowners or just the land deemed suitable by the cheif ?   .2

Are you asking about an application or do you already (as I suspect) own a .22lr? If it is the former, then yes absolutely you need a landowners permission letter, if the latter, then no, if you have a condition on your ticket that states "land deemed suitable by the chief constable" .......... providing you have permission from the landowner to be on the ground with a firearm, and the ground is passed safe for .22lr or bigger then crack on :thumbs: if you have an open condition then all you need is landowners permission.

• Like 1

Perhaps those of you who have said you need the landowners written permission could point me in the direction of any legislation that says that.

Some regions ask for it and it is without doubt useful, but verbal permission is fine legally.

• Like 1

If you've got a letter saying you can shoot on the land and you get questioned by the police at 2 in the morning the letter will stop them getting the farmer out of bed and asking him if it's ok for you to be there

A good idea I saw in a lads motor was a small note book with a quick note from land owners with address contact details and the ok to shoot you can write the note the farmer just has to sign it

• Like 1

Perhaps those of you who have said you need the landowners written permission could point me in the direction of any legislation that says that.

Some regions ask for it and it is without doubt useful, but verbal permission is fine legally.

Try applying for a section one firearm, for deer/vermin, without a permission letter, COMPUTER SAYS NO :bye:

• Like 1

Yeh I did that about two years ago Charlie caller and they said no, I think its about the paper trail aswell so if someone quits shooting then years later reapplys and can prove previous experience then it might be different but then that's another story for another thread.

It's also about covering your back.

Paper = proof. Verbal = stuffed if the farmer for any reason denies giving you permission.

Last time I looked, armed trespass was pretty serious. Don't take anything for granted with firearms.

• Like 4

Blimey guys, it was a simple question........

"Perhaps those of you who have said you need the landowners written permission could point me in the direction of any legislation that says that.

Some regions ask for it and it is without doubt useful, but verbal permission is fine legally."

The answer is simple, there is no legal requirement, and even if we accept a written consent is useful for your region and generally (and I have made no suggestion to the contrary), that doesn't make it a legal requirement and it doesn't mean it is essential for every other piece of land you may pick up.

So, the answer to the OP is NO.

Now, if you all want to go on and qualify why having written consent is useful/helpful then fine (and again I'm not suggesting it isn't), but the answer to the OP is still No, you do not need written permission, you just need permission!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Not if he is applying, he needs written consent, he does not make this position clear! I have loads of land where I only have verbal permission, and because I have a good relationship with the landowners, I am satisfied with that, but ata the risk of repetition, if he is applying for a .22lr to be granted he will need written authority, or he does not stand a snowball in hells chance.

Paper = proof. Verbal = stuffed if the farmer for any reason denies giving you permission.

Last time I looked, armed trespass was pretty serious. Don't take anything for granted with firearms.

Is that right? Because some farmers handwriting is awful and a signature would be easy to copy...... If the farmer says he didn't give you permission or indeed rescinded that permission a nice bit of paper with a scrawl on won't keep you out of court... Far better to just have a good relationship with your landowner.

Is that right? Because some farmers handwriting is awful and a signature would be easy to copy...... If the farmer says he didn't give you permission or indeed rescinded that permission a nice bit of paper with a scrawl on won't keep you out of court... Far better to just have a good relationship with your landowner.

It's up to you and what chances you want to take with your freedom.

That's also why in the rather hot topic on the exact form of written permission, I added into my suggested version that it has to be withdrawn via notice in writing using registered post.The BASC version doesn't go quite that far, but does say it should be rescinded in writing.

Re forgery claims, handwriting can be analysed so i wouldn't worry there.

At the end of the day, I'd suggest it's best to have it in writing AND have a good relationship with your landowner.

But the choice is yours. The dangers of relying on verbal permission alone are clear to see, however lawful it may be.

Edited by Alsone

Problem with verbal permission is there is a danger of some one giving you the permission and it not being theirs to give

Then if push comes to shove and a problem comes up that person has then only got to deny saying it

But if it's written down your not at fault because you understand you've got the right person it's then down to them to tell

You if they are not the land owner and can't give permission

It's all about covering your rear

• Like 1

Hand writing can be analysed.... that's a precise science is it? Or one of those subjective sciences? A 'signed' permission slip is not proof. Just have a good relationship with your landowner. Because even with a letter if he decides to be an arse as you suggested and press charges of armed tresspass you're still up shit creek. I think it's dangerous for people to assume they're immune from prosecution with a signed permission.

There are lots of other good reasons to have a signed bit of paper but it's not going to save you if the shit hits the fan in the manor you suggested.

Edited by Born Hunter

I think I'm just being a fussy twat tbh. :laugh:

A signed letter is better than verbal if the shit was to hit the fan but it's still gonna see you in court and completely rides on the outcome of that signature analysis. If you just have a good relationship with your landowner your relationship and shooting rights will be known to other witnesses and you won't have to rely on the outcome of that analysis being in your favour. I've never worried about it because I wouldn't shoot on someones land if I had potentially upset them.

• Like 1