Fair play Dan, that's a beautiful rifle. Love the stock matey

And a damn long stock it is too lol :)

It's these embarrassingly long arms can nearly touch me toes without bending down :icon_redface::laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Time to change that .243 CC you know it makes sense I love mine sako 75 action, handlapped select match grade shilen barrel in 1 in 13 1/2" to optimise the 85gr bullets,honed and polished trigger and

Get the .243 mate as Danw says you wont be dissapointed,the .22-250 is a superb round too, but then of course you are restricted to the small deer as well, Alsone, a .243 will pass through deer mate,

Thing is mate they rely on the premise that we have to ask what they will allow like a school child well that is not the case I am licensed to hold firearms I know what I need to do the job they will

It's not about how much power it's about shot placement IMO walshy

TOTALY Agree walshy but thinking this a novice ever had a centerfire rifle ? one learns to walk before one runs, 223 far Easyer to Master than a 243 WELL putting a

22rf or 1.7 HMR on a thumbnail yer fine , but a centerfire sitting prone standing sticks etc etc takes time and lots of practice even at short range (Point blank) up to 200meters '' For me '' one shot job well done and this includes charlie ... and for deer its a must,

If you don't shoot Deer i don't see how you can advise others on what cal Rifle to use. :hmm:

Well that's not what I was actually doing. What I started out doing above was simply putting some considerations forwards for and against having a .243 as a single rifle vs having 2 rifles, 1 fox and 1 deer, mostly based on good reason. I didn't actually recommend any specific calibres only .243 vs larger calibres. Anyway, I'm out of this thread and will leave this to the deer experts.

If you're in the market for one rifle S. Dan then it has to be the .243, particularly if you're torn between the .22-250 and it.

The .22-250 in reality is a dedicated foxing calibre, even with the few small deer species it can be used for whereas your .243 will happily send anything from a 55 grain V-max (same as a .22-250) to a 100 grain soft point down range without any issues.

If you want a dedicated foxing set up and a deer rifle, then why not the .223/.22-250 as well as something deer legal. Don't forget the 6.5x55 Swedish which seems to have gathered a decent following. Lovely round for any Deer species on these islands ;)

I think your first part is right SS but I think anything going into the 30 cal on something used predominantly for fox is only gunna make the feo say no if he hasn't got deer on his land or isn't someone who has evidence of payed stalks often.

Edited by celticrusader

Cheers CC. New open ticket arrived today so hand delivered the old one to feo and he said i can have either .223 or .243. But suggested the .223 as I do get the odd close range fox job and a .303 for deer

:icon_eek: 303 for DEER :hmm: very ????? Expanding ammo if you can get 150 gn sp £30 FOR 20 and a ''rifle '' very hard to find any FEO that has suggested or even agreed with this well :censored:

If you are only getting one rifle then you should get the .243 varmint round as you can get fox and deer on this calibre

Or get yourself a .223 AND a 6.5 x55 swede arguably the best deer calibre out there and have done with it,

Reloading bullets from 80-90gr all the way up to 165gr. It is an excellent calibre.

Cheers guys. Feo must have .308 then my mistake he also said he likes the .270 for deer. He doesn't recommend me a .243 for fox as he knows alot of my odd fox jobs are close range and in rather close proximity of houses, towns etc. He said the .223 and .22-250 is rather quieter than a .243. So he suggests that the .22cf's a better option for me and when needed get a deer calibre. Quite like the ballistics of the .270 will have a look at the 6.5x55 swede. Thanks again

Cheers guys. Feo must have .308 then my mistake he also said he likes the .270 for deer. He doesn't recommend me a .243 for fox as he knows alot of my odd fox jobs are close range and in rather close proximity of houses, towns etc. He said the .223 and .22-250 is rather quieter than a .243. So he suggests that the .22cf's a better option for me and when needed get a deer calibre. Quite like the ballistics of the .270 will have a look at the 6.5x55 swede. Thanks again

Again I would question the feo's experience the 22-250 is renowned for being a noisy calibre and since it only burns a few grains of powder less than a .243 the noise the 22-250 makes could never be much quieter could it, certainly not enough to notice, now if he said the .223 was significantly quieter than a 22-250 he would be talking some sense but then the .223 burns half the powder that a 22-250 does

• Like 3

.22-250 quieter than .243 I dont think so :hmm: it is a brilliant fox and small deer round, flat and bucks the wind very well for a small bullet, due to it not being in the air as long 4,000 fps :yes: the 6.5x55 swede is ok but in my opinion apart from utilising heavier bullets at rather reduced velocity it has no benefits over a .243 and is very similar in terms of energy, AND factory ammo is crap, owing to the fact that this round has been around since the stone age like .22hornet and takes into account many ancient rifles chambered for it, so if its a turnip Swede you want get some reloading gear :thumbs: I will repeat what I said earlier, if he is happy for you to have a .22-250 GET ONE you will love it, and for the deer get the .25-06 death ray, job done, you are now equipped to flatten anything the British isles can throw at you. ;)

• Like 1