• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Time to change that .243 CC you know it makes sense I love mine sako 75 action, handlapped select match grade shilen barrel in 1 in 13 1/2" to optimise the 85gr bullets,honed and polished trigger and

Get the .243 mate as Danw says you wont be dissapointed,the .22-250 is a superb round too, but then of course you are restricted to the small deer as well, Alsone, a .243 will pass through deer mate,

Thing is mate they rely on the premise that we have to ask what they will allow like a school child well that is not the case I am licensed to hold firearms I know what I need to do the job they will

I'd still go .243 if your FEO is suggesting .303 you would have to question his knowledge :laugh: but if you really have to go bigger the 25-06 launches an 85gr bullet at 3600fps with a 200yd zero it drops just 5" @ 300 yds and just 15" at 400yds or maybe a 300rum 110gr at 4100fps stops foxy properly

• Like 1

.303 is a good deer round, but the problem is finding a decent rifle, there are some out there like the BSA and sporterised ones by Parker Hale, but again the factory ammo is rather pedestrian so reloading is a must in my opinion, are you sure he said .303 mate and not .308? I love the .25-06 and if I ever change the .243 that is what I will get, you seem to be faced with rather a lot of choices old chap :hmm: ok my suggestions either a .243 and happily use it for everything (you wont need bigger) or if you must have two rifles, a .22-250 for foxes and small deer(dont worry about barrel wear a keeper I know has shot hundreds of foxes with his over the last 15 years or so maybe longer and it is still super accurate) and a .25-06 for deer or anything else you want to hit with the death ray :yes:

Cheers CC. New open ticket arrived today so hand delivered the old one to feo and he said i can have either .223 or .243. But suggested the .223 as I do get the odd close range fox job and a .303 for deer

.223 isn't a close just a close range tool, it'll hold its own against the .243 out to 250 yards as long as its not blowing a Hoolie. The .243 is flatter with more punch but you get more noise, flash kick etc and use much more powder.

Main bonus with the .243 is that you can put lamp in car, go sit out for a deer till dusk, then go lamping straight after without changing guns.

I tend to take the .223 out as first choice, especially when on foot for fox or closer to built up areas ( it's quieter ), and take the .243 when lamping from the truck roof or when it's windy.

You won't go wrong with either but don't write the .223 off as only being suitable for close range stuff. It's more than capable for fox at typical lamping ranges.

.303 is a good deer round, but the problem is finding a decent rifle, there are some out there like the BSA and sporterised ones by Parker Hale, but again the factory ammo is rather pedestrian so reloading is a must in my opinion, are you sure he said .303 mate and not .308? I love the .25-06 and if I ever change the .243 that is what I will get, you seem to be faced with rather a lot of choices old chap :hmm: ok my suggestions either a .243 and happily use it for everything (you wont need bigger) or if you must have two rifles, a .22-250 for foxes and small deer(dont worry about barrel wear a keeper I know has shot hundreds of foxes with his over the last 15 years or so maybe longer and it is still super accurate) and a .25-06 for deer or anything else you want to hit with the death ray :yes:

Time to change that .243 CC you know it makes sense :thumbs: I love mine sako 75 action, handlapped select match grade shilen barrel in 1 in 13 1/2" to optimise the 85gr bullets,honed and polished trigger and custom hand built laminate stock all topped off with a swarovski 3-12x50pv and a S5 moderator

9a2e9e4f-e5db-4369-a5b8-d397630d4be8.jpg

• Like 4