Hi all. As some of you may know I'm about to get a CF for fox and was thinking .223. However I do intend on going deer stalking in the future. Do I ask for .243 to start with for fox and deer or go for .223 for fox and then get a .243 closer to the time I intend on stalking? Oh and this is first centrefire rifle

Advice appreciated

• Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Time to change that .243 CC you know it makes sense I love mine sako 75 action, handlapped select match grade shilen barrel in 1 in 13 1/2" to optimise the 85gr bullets,honed and polished trigger and

Get the .243 mate as Danw says you wont be dissapointed,the .22-250 is a superb round too, but then of course you are restricted to the small deer as well, Alsone, a .243 will pass through deer mate,

Thing is mate they rely on the premise that we have to ask what they will allow like a school child well that is not the case I am licensed to hold firearms I know what I need to do the job they will

This is exactly what I've done sdan as my mate reloads for .223 and I wanna stalk once or twice a year closer to home (s.wales) instead of travelling over the bridge where most of the deer are, my feo liked my suggestion of going for a .243 for fox as a main priority and then deer as apposed to the .223 as I would be limited to species.

Spoken to a lot of people and .243 is cracking for fox and an entry level alround deer cartridge so this is what I'm aiming for mate.

This is exactly what I've done sdan as my mate reloads for .223 and I wanna stalk once or twice a year closer to home (s.wales) instead of travelling over the bridge where most of the deer are, my feo liked my suggestion of going for a .243 for fox as a main priority and then deer as apposed to the .223 as I would be limited to species.

Spoken to a lot of people and .243 is cracking for fox and an entry level alround deer cartridge so this is what I'm aiming for mate.

:thumbs: you won't be disappointed

• Like 2

I've been told not to bother with 2nd hand but unless you know what's gone through it and who's used it...up to the person I guess mate but it now seems you and I will be in the same boat now mate, will be interesting to see which force responds more accordingly.lol

Hi all. As some of you may know I'm about to get a CF for fox and was thinking .223. However I do intend on going deer stalking in the future. Do I ask for .243 to start with for fox and deer or go for .223 for fox and then get a .243 closer to the time I intend on stalking? Oh and this is first centrefire rifle

Advice appreciated

I Would get the 223 if its your first center fire rifle Get to know how to use it , you can use for foxing and start off your deer stalking with muntjac or chinese water deer in England or roe deer in Scotland get some experience you will Also be earning Browne points with your local firearms department , ready to step up to 243 or whatever you fancy I Owen rifles 1,7 hmr up to 3006 but the ,270 gets used most , but Everyones different regards Eric

shot with a 243 but shot placement needs to be bang on and takes lots a time and practise and more practise , and 223 ammunition is far less costly then 243 ,

I can only suggest to say what I did and that you'll be using it for fox and will be using it for deer on a few occassions or state any lawful quarry.. Ring basc up or whoever your insurance is for advice...your feo might not be as understanding or lenient as mine but it depends if you've been stalking as that is what may sway them.

if your going to shoot deer in the future I would go for the .243. it might be a little more pricy to run but if its going to be a hunting rifle you wont be putting round after round through it plus when you start shooting deer you will know the gun like the back of your hand.

• Like 1

Cheers guys. I've never been stalking before but definitely do intend on it in the next year or 2. I'll have a chat with feo and see what he suggests.

If I ask for aolq will that then cover me for deer species or does it have to state deer fox etc. Thanks again lads

got my 243 first for fox and deer but just put in for a 223 for fox too (night time use as the 243 is just too much power even with a 55g when you cant see far enough behind the target)

FLO came out on monday and agreed so just waiting for the paperwork to come back