• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 shropshire dan

shropshire dan

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:13 pm

Hi all. As some of you may know I'm about to get a CF for fox and was thinking .223. However I do intend on going deer stalking in the future. Do I ask for .243 to start with for fox and deer or go for .223 for fox and then get a .243 closer to the time I intend on stalking? Oh and this is first centrefire rifle

Advice appreciated
  • John Stott likes this

#2 celticrusader

celticrusader

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:41 pm

This is exactly what I've done sdan as my mate reloads for .223 and I wanna stalk once or twice a year closer to home (s.wales) instead of travelling over the bridge where most of the deer are, my feo liked my suggestion of going for a .243 for fox as a main priority and then deer as apposed to the .223 as I would be limited to species.
Spoken to a lot of people and .243 is cracking for fox and an entry level alround deer cartridge so this is what I'm aiming for mate.

#3 danw

danw

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:48 pm

This is exactly what I've done sdan as my mate reloads for .223 and I wanna stalk once or twice a year closer to home (s.wales) instead of travelling over the bridge where most of the deer are, my feo liked my suggestion of going for a .243 for fox as a main priority and then deer as apposed to the .223 as I would be limited to species.
Spoken to a lot of people and .243 is cracking for fox and an entry level alround deer cartridge so this is what I'm aiming for mate.

:thumbs:  you won't be disappointed 

• charlie caller and celticrusader like this

#4 shropshire dan

shropshire dan

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:51 pm

Ill have a chat with feo and see if he's happy for me to have .243 straight off

Cheers boys

Edited by shropshire dan, 08 July 2014 - 08:51 pm.

• celticrusader likes this

#5 celticrusader

celticrusader

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:52 pm

Yeh the farmer I spoke to last week said he's come down from 30cal to .243 because its so versatile so I think that speaks for itself and I think it'll do all you and I will need within reason mate.

#6 shropshire dan

shropshire dan

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:53 pm

Cheers CC. I notice the rifles are alot cheaper secondhand than a .223. Dont know why but bonus

#7 celticrusader

celticrusader

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:57 pm

I've been told not to bother with 2nd hand but unless you know what's gone through it and who's used it...up to the person I guess mate but it now seems you and I will be in the same boat now mate, will be interesting to see which force responds more accordingly.lol

#8 49eric

49eric

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:00 pm

Hi all. As some of you may know I'm about to get a CF for fox and was thinking .223. However I do intend on going deer stalking in the future. Do I ask for .243 to start with for fox and deer or go for .223 for fox and then get a .243 closer to the time I intend on stalking? Oh and this is first centrefire rifle

Advice appreciated

I  Would  get  the  223   if  its  your  first  center fire   rifle   Get  to  know  how  to use  it ,  you can use  for  foxing  and  start  off  your  deer stalking  with  muntjac  or  chinese  water deer in England  or  roe deer   in Scotland  get some  experience  you  will  Also  be  earning  Browne  points with your  local  firearms  department ,  ready  to  step up  to   243 or whatever you fancy  I  Owen  rifles  1,7 hmr  up to  3006    but  the  ,270   gets  used  most ,  but  Everyones  different  regards   Eric

shot  with  a  243  but   shot placement needs to  be  bang on  and  takes  lots  a time and practise and more  practise , and  223  ammunition  is  far less costly then 243 ,   

#9 shropshire dan

shropshire dan

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:01 pm

True mate. Feo said I can have a .223 or .22-250 no problem so dont see a .243 being a issue. (he hopes)

#10 celticrusader

celticrusader

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:12 pm

I can only suggest to say what I did and that you'll be using it for fox and will be using it for deer on a few occassions or state any lawful quarry.. Ring basc up or whoever your insurance is for advice...your feo might not be as understanding or lenient as mine but it depends if you've been stalking as that is what may sway them.

#11 SportingShooter

SportingShooter

The Miscellaneous Mod

• 5,895 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:22 pm

If you have the reason to have it, apply for it.

The .243 is listed in the Home Office guidance as suitable for Fox and Deer.  Simples :thumbs:

#12 alan81

alan81

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:40 pm

if your going to shoot deer in the future I would go for the .243. it might be a little more pricy to run but if its going to be a hunting rifle you wont be putting round after round through it plus when you start shooting deer you will know the gun like the back of your hand.

• John Stott likes this

#13 shropshire dan

shropshire dan

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:27 am

Cheers guys. I've never been stalking before but definitely do intend on it in the next year or 2. I'll have a chat with feo and see what he suggests.

If I ask for aolq will that then cover me for deer species or does it have to state deer fox etc. Thanks again lads

#14 celticrusader

celticrusader

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:54 am

Yeh put any lawful quarry after fox and inform him that your intentions are what you've told us.

#15 hutchey

hutchey

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 877 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:49 am

got my 243 first for fox and deer but just put in for a 223 for fox too (night time use as the 243 is just too much power even with a 55g when you cant see far enough behind the target)

FLO came out on monday and agreed so just waiting for the paperwork to come back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users