I currently have a small rabbit in the freezer and dont know what to do with it.. I have tried rabbit before but never cooked it for myself. it was given by a neighbour and is already skinned and gutted.

Usually when the lurcher catches she has the rabbit split with the other dogs (i dont work her alot at the minute, but am looking to get her out more this season!)

So any nice reccommendations would be good, I've had a look online, but wondered if anyone had any personal favourites.

Dont de-bone just joint the rabbit and you can either rip the cooked meat off the bone before serving or serve bone and all which i think does be tastier and more tender. Cant go wrong with curried rabbit!

Hot water crust rabbit pie is always a good one , take the meat off the bone keep it chunky add some hardy root veg like swede , parsnip , carrots and onion a few redcurrants some thyme salt and pepper , line a Victoria sponge spring release tin with pastry put filling in and slightly compress it, top with pastry lid stab hole in the top egg wash ,into the oven at 200 for 20 minutes then down to 180 for another 90 minutes take it out nice crusty pastry and beautiful tender juicy insides.

• 2 weeks later...

Hot water crust rabbit pie is always a good one , take the meat off the bone keep it chunky add some hardy root veg like swede , parsnip , carrots and onion a few redcurrants some thyme salt and pepper , line a Victoria sponge spring release tin with pastry put filling in and slightly compress it, top with pastry lid stab hole in the top egg wash ,into the oven at 200 for 20 minutes then down to 180 for another 90 minutes take it out nice crusty pastry and beautiful tender juicy insides.

Like the sound of that one. be one for the coming months

Like the sound of that one. be one for the coming months

Am a chef it always goes down well with the punters!

Just simply joint two or three rabbits, gather good veg and stock and make the best 'rabbit stew' you can do.

Bastardise any cooking recipe for that... Though always add pearl barley, it's a must!

Now, you got two choices after, pastry crust or suet dumplings.... Me, dumplings every time! Easier than a crust, they both thicken the gravy and make a much more hearty, substantial meal.

Sometimes, tradition really wins out. :thumbs:

Yeh I second bosun11's as that's what I do winter time, rabbit skewer's sounds quite good and since I cut n dice from 3-4 to make a curry (don't like on the bone) then this would be something else I/you could do as well...in the oven tho for about 3hrs at 160 and above and you'll be sorted.

Got a whole cook book on rabbit meals maybe you should sort on out for a couple of quid...you never know!

• 4 weeks later...