What Got You Into Hunting?

No one in my immediate family enjoys hunting, working dogs ferrets etc, so I have no idea where on earth i get my love of hunting from. My great uncle used to be a gamekeeper, but he wasnt someone i saw alot or had a big influence in my life.

So just wondered, are you into it because you have always done it, gone with the family, who generations before have always gone?

I went foxhunting (when it was still legal) to form a view, everyone kept asking me and i said i couldnt say as I had never seen it being done. I went the once and absolutely loved it. It got me well and truly hooked!

I have now acquired the lurcher who i work, and I have also just started shooting! so with those hobbies as well as the horseriding i truly cant think of a better way to spend my time! and i hope if and when one day i have a child of my own they grow up to love all things about the countryside like i do!

• Like 5

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For me it fulfills my love of buggering & smashing the shiite out of small furry things. Peace

No one in my immediate family enjoys hunting, working dogs ferrets etc, so I have no idea where on earth i get my love of hunting from. My great uncle used to be a gamekeeper, but he wasnt someone i s

Killing people is apparently frowned upon so I opted for the next best thing!!!

Foxi-Roxi, I'm assuming this is a serious thread and you're not looking for stupid responses, although bless them they only mean a bit of fun.

I believe I started hunting because of an extension to my love of the natural,world. I wasn't lucky enough to be born into the countryside so it wasn't a natural progression. My older brothers took me bird nesting and collecting became a passion for me ( before it became illegal) Me and a couple of mates would get the green line bus out into the country to begin with looking for specific eggs. This evolved into the love of just being there. Hunting was the next progression and 50 years later it is my main enjoyment in life.

• Like 1

It was meant to be a serious question. as i wonder where people get their passion from. Like i said no one in my family hunts, enjoys the countryside etc and I often wonder if its just me that randomly got into it one day, when alot of people seem to have a family influence.

I think it is in the blood or the upbringing. I started running around with a bow and arrow at about 8 trying unsuccessfully to get a rabbit on the fens and then when we moved to wales met some old timer who taught me snaring and stuff and went from there.

But I saw some distant family on facebook on my fathers brothers side and there pictures of there kids holding up rabbits and fishing etc so maybe it is in the genes

• Like 2

100% Organic Free-range Meat!

Okay, that's a lie. I'm still getting frustrated with rabbits at the moment.

Truth is, I always loved guns and used to shoot when I lived in Warrington, with a few friends. Met a woman and moved back down South (used to live in Basingstoke). So my love of the outdoors was easily rekindled, after the typical 1 year of marriage. That passion took me back into bushcraft and living off the land. Slowly this progressed into the study of tracking, then learning about other tracking systems.

After a while I decided to get out my old ratting air rifle, and go to town door to door. Ratting I knew I could do. So have been progressing back from there. Newer rifles, newer quarry, etc.

The love now is just as much about personal development and achievement as it is from taking the kill shot and bagging a rodent or bunny.

I never had anyone in the family but told of the od story of when my dad was on the scene that him and my uncle used to go out ferreting / lamping and with the odd gun .....

My uncle picked me up a gun from the local traveller site while working close by ... Can't really ever remember using it ..... But can remember him giving me the scope that ended up being attached to an orange and yellow water pistol (aprox 7 - 10 yrs old)

Then in 2000 we moved house and while tagging along with my mum going to her mates houses , I got introduced to different people and to be fair I could have gone 1 of 2 ways tagging along with reprobates getting in trouble and drinking / drugs or getting out ferreting and with the dogs ...

Which is what I did, seemed to be always out ... Didn't start properly with the guns till about 17ish when I bought my 1st pcp a BSA hornet ...

But haven't done much in the last 6 or so years with having kids

Been out a small hand full of times with them and the airrifles but not had a dog as such to take out, but now they are getting older they are asking to go out more so here's for hoping they keep up the interest & hopefully get a wee terrier or lurcher in the next few years

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I think for me it was the innate natural desire to hunt and do 'boy stuff'!

Always used to play with toy guns and bows and arrows, and Got my first air pistol when I was 8 (webley tempest) and progressed from there!

More kids need to get into the countryside these days I think. (Forgive me for sounding like an old fart then!)

Mitch

I never seen anything got to do with hunting as a kid wish i had it might of keep me from getting into trouble. It didnt get a hold of me till couple of years ago when i started to get a grip on my life and had spare time because i had coped on and didnt want to be doing other s**t. I was always interested in food , cooking and animals so i suppose really it was only a matter of getting my head out of the clouds and ive been hooked since

• Like 1