Anyone Making And Selling Nv

Thanks Ian

Thanks Dan, I'll rule myself out of the 200 yards ability because my 'scopeless' builds are better suited to air and rimfire ranges TBH where the shooter needs to be most covert.

For the benefit of other readers, 'scopeless' allows us to use zero - or near zero IR within rimfire ranges - and needs a rifle dedicated to NV. In short it is a very low light CCTV rig with built in adjustable on screen crosshairs.

A couple of vids for anyone interested, the first one shows the rig with a lens suited to 50ish yards - price is £340.

Edited by some bloke

Thanks Ian

Thanks Dan, I'll rule myself out of the 200 yards ability because my 'scopeless' builds are better suited to air and rimfire ranges TBH where the shooter needs to be most covert.

For the benefit of other readers, 'scopeless' allows us to use zero - or near zero IR within rimfire ranges - and needs a rifle dedicated to NV. In short it is a very low light CCTV rig with built in adjustable on screen crosshairs.

A couple of vids for anyone interested, the first one shows the rig with a lens suited to 50ish yards - price is £340.

Looks good SB, whats the magnification and battery life on your scopeless builds.

The approximate mag of the 50mm lens is about 3.5 - ideal for air ranges in my opinion as far as acquisition is concerned. The longer video was using my HMR and that is best suited to a 75mm lens if the maximum range you are likely to head shoot is about 100 yards, it approximately relates to 5.5 to 6 mag. Did you note how the longest shot of the night was a bit too small on the screen for a headshot?

Longer ranges with longer lenses are possible but you need IR more often because the lens lets in less light - but less IR is needed in comparison to the same range shot with a rear add-on NV rig. Note also how the bunnies reacted to IR coming on at close ranges - and that was only using a moderate power 501b IR. :icon_eek:

If more people actually realised how many bunnies are scarpering due to excessive IR they might stop using too much at low ranges - especially when it's often lighting up an area outside the scope view that they can see because the IR is zoomed wide. The shooters eyes cannot see what is legging it off with his peripheral human eye as he shoulders his rifle - blissfully unaware of the rabbits that are watching the red glow move to shoulder height.

To help grasp what 'scopeless' is all about - think in terms of how you would use a gen 2 or gen 3 tubed rig - you hardly ever need any IR so they are much more covert for the guys with deep pockets. Digital scopeless is not as good as the better tubed rigs - but we are taking serious steps towards it, particularly if there is a bit of moon about and keeping to rimfire ranges.

The rig has been designed to allow the shooter to still use a cheek-weld shooting stance if he chooses - or a more relaxed head up position that rear add-on rigs using a screen have to adopt.

I get 3 hours from my rig - but I use unprotected 18650 cells retrieved from faulty laptop batteries - most only need one cell to fail before the lappy has issues. If you use protected ones expect maybe 90 minutes from a cheap pair or longer from a quality pair before the circuit cuts the power off. Take a spare pair of cells to swap into the rig and simply 'tear' the velcro fitted screen away to change them in the field.

Edited by some bloke

The approximate mag of the 50mm lens is about 3.5 - ideal for air ranges in my opinion as far as acquisition is concerned. The longer video was using my HMR and that is best suited to a 75mm lens if the maximum range you are likely to head shoot is about 100 yards, it approximately relates to 5.5 to 6 mag. Did you note how the longest shot of the night was a bit too small on the screen for a headshot?

Longer ranges with longer lenses are possible but you need IR more often because the lens lets in less light - but less IR is needed in comparison to the same range shot with a rear add-on NV rig. Note also how the bunnies reacted to IR coming on at close ranges - and that was only using a moderate power 501b IR. :icon_eek:

If more people actually realised how many bunnies are scarpering due to excessive IR they might stop using too much at low ranges - especially when it's often lighting up an area outside the scope view that they can see because the IR is zoomed wide. The shooters eyes cannot see what is legging it off with his peripheral human eye as he shoulders his rifle - blissfully unaware of the rabbits that are watching the red glow move to shoulder height.

To help grasp what 'scopeless' is all about - think in terms of how you would use a gen 2 or gen 3 tubed rig - you hardly ever need any IR so they are much more covert for the guys with deep pockets. Digital scopeless is not as good as the better tubed rigs - but we are taking serious steps towards it, particularly if there is a bit of moon about and keeping to rimfire ranges.

The rig has been designed to allow the shooter to still use a cheek-weld shooting stance if he chooses - or a more relaxed head up position that rear add-on rigs using a screen have to adopt.

I get 3 hours from my rig - but I use unprotected 18650 cells retrieved from faulty laptop batteries - most only need one cell to fail before the lappy has issues. If you use protected ones expect maybe 90 minutes from a cheap pair or longer from a quality pair before the circuit cuts the power off. Take a spare pair of cells to swap into the rig and simply 'tear' the velcro fitted screen away to change them in the field.

Whats the maximum focal lenght lens it would be usable with SB?

As long as you like Ian - but the longer they get the more IR will be needed. "200mm should suit 200 yards. but remember you cannot zoom back for easier quarry spotting.

In my opinion these are best suited to sub 100 yard ranges if you want to minimise the use of IR.

As long as you like Ian - but the longer they get the more IR will be needed. "200mm should suit 200 yards. but remember you cannot zoom back for easier quarry spotting.

In my opinion these are best suited to sub 100 yard ranges if you want to minimise the use of IR.

What about a zoom lens say 70 - 200mm ?

NO I'm afraid. The zero moves too much as the lenses are shifted. Regular photography of course doesn't have a requirement that maintains it like rifle sights need, although I have seen zero shifting on orthodox scopes too.

It's possible that it might work if you spot - then always return to maximum zoom for the shot - but I'd not want to be buying one just to check that out.

NO I'm afraid. The zero moves too much as the lenses are shifted. Regular photography of course doesn't have a requirement that maintains it like rifle sights need, although I have seen zero shifting on orthodox scopes too.

It's possible that it might work if you spot - then always return to maximum zoom for the shot - but I'd not want to be buying one just to check that out.

Got you SB, looks a nice little setup, very clever to be honest.