Legal Question

perfectly legal under 12flb bud just keep it covered up so no one smashes your window :thumbs:

I'm not 100% but I wouldn't be so sure about that. My car got broken in to a couple of year ago and the copper I was talking to said I hadn't to tell him about the air rifle in my car, I asked why because I thought it was legal to keep a sub 12ft/lb in your car, he said no, it's only legal to transport it to and from where your shooting, not to store it.

That's just what the copper said, whether it's right or not, I don't know because I think most of them don't even know the law themselves!

Although it is better to be safe than sorry, keep it indoors mate!

Theres no legal requirement to keep a 12ft/lb air gun under lock and key so its perfectly legal to keep in a car now they might give you a hard time if you were stopped in asda car park ect as to why you have it there but you wouldn't be breaking any law

• 1 month later...

I would argue with that. As per website linked below it is now illegal to have an airgun loaded or not in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse.

If your car is parked in public place (street, public car park) you shouldn't.

Link:

http://www.airgunshooting.co.uk/expert-advice/airgun_law_in_the_uk_1_1111764

I think this is the biggest issue here, as with knife law, the statement "with out lawful authority or reasonable excuse" is somewhat subjective and one persons view is not necessarily the same as the next person plus your average bobby on the beat is not fully conversant with these laws. Realistically you're probably better off to play it safe and to be honest with the cost of a decent air rifle it makes sense to at least bring it in to your house overnight if nothing else. :D

If the air rifle is in a vehicle then it's not in a public place the van might be but the gun isn't

A public place is a place where the general public have the right to be

A small changing room locker lay down in the van works well you can put the gun in and still chuck stuff on top

Have a look round your calls bet someone's got one you can have

Unfortunately, daft as it sounds, in the eyes of the law if your car or van is in a public place, locked or otherwise, then it is considered so. As a result there is the need to show lawful authority or reasonable excuse and the same goes if you keep your lock knife or fixed bladed knife that you use when hunting in the vehicle. As far as I'm aware though as soon as you you pull on to any private land to which the public does not have access (is your drive if you have one) then you're fine. :D

From the answers here, I think it's best to keep the rifle in a slip with you, if you are away from home and not in the vehicle overnight, unless you are actually sleeping in the vehicle. Not drawing attention to the fact that you have it there in the first place is a good idea. Don't give anyone an excuse against you.

Christ, these days, you'd think we were carrying stinger missiles!