Fac Air Rifles.......????

Its a pointless exercise talking about what a risky shot is like this thread is trying to do.

Its all about the moment, that second when you are going to take the shot with whatever type of gun and whatever the situation.

Too much blurb for me I'm sticking to real world risk assessment on each shot I take whether its my 97kt or the Pro hunter.243.

Backstop backstop backstop I must have a backstop, say this a thousand times then head out for a bit of shooting.

Well said!

• Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yea I agree definitely don't use on foxes people say would drop them but not a humane kill in my opinion at all! My brother has a fac Rws excaliber it's a insane pice of kit think it's doing about 26

Forget about fox shooting with an air rifle. If you want to shoot a fox get a centre fire on your ticket.

I am sorry if my comment could be seen to be advisory as it was certainly not my intention. I have in fact been hit in the face by air rifle pellets more than once, but luckily not in the eye. You wil

You don't need to worry about a backstop if you are shooting pigeons in trees with an air rifle though. :D. Granted you need to consider potential ricochets, but the pellet is not going to harm anyone when it lands, even if some-one is looking up and it gets them in the eye.

If that last bit's your attitude towards safety then I'm glad you live a very long way from me.

• Like 3

You don't need to worry about a backstop if you are shooting pigeons in trees with an air rifle though. :D. Granted you need to consider potential ricochets, but the pellet is not going to harm anyone when it lands, even if some-one is looking up and it gets them in the eye.

If that last bit's your attitude towards safety then I'm glad you live a very long way from me.

:laugh: how's it going fella.

To be honest I thought some one would make that remark which is half the reason I wrote it!

I have an extremely high regard for shooting safety thanks and I was trained by both a very fastidious relative and the military. However I have never heard of anyone being harmed by an air rifle pellet when landing after being fired upwards into trees, but I have heard of people being both hit and harmed by .22 lr bullets fired upwards into trees (and by upwards I do not mean vertically). However when I raised this point early in this thread it was subject to total ridicule by several members.

Now you are suggesting that I am wrong to suggest that we can safely shoot vermin out of trees with an air rifle if there is no backstop. I would argue that it is safe to do so, but still with commnon sense. So for example I would not shoot an air rifle upwards if the pellet is going to land in an area where there will definitely be people. My comment about someone looking up and being hit in the eye by a gently failing air rifle pellet was intended to be a little flippant, but it is still probably true. So far no-one other me is it seems is going to stick their neck out and say that an FAC air rifle is useful for vermin in trees whereas a .22lr would be risky and in some cases dangerous.

Some-one else made the point about plod reading these threads. However I really doubt the laws of the land will be modified on the basis of this thread!

I can totally agree with using sub 12 airguns to shoot into trees providing you have an adequate distance of empty fields as a fallout with permission to shoot on that land also but I'm sure a lot of people starting out look to forums for advice. The advice that a falling pellet will not harm an eye while falling is utterly iresponsible and may encourage young or beginners that this is OK to take risky shots. If you ever have the misfortune of a pellet in the eye (allthough it was a long range ricochet) you would understand and have a different point of view. As a child I had a pellet in the eye and the wait to see if you will be blinded as your eye turns yellow and gets covered in a patch the time waiting for the patch to be removed to see if your eyesight would return would change your opinion forever. Fortunately I was lucky and my eye fully recovered. So anyone reading this please be careful and think about where your pellet could land and think responsibly. wish you safe and happy shooting.

• Like 2

I am sorry if my comment could be seen to be advisory as it was certainly not my intention. I have in fact been hit in the face by air rifle pellets more than once, but luckily not in the eye. You will see that I have now edited the offending post. PS I am glad your eye fully recovered.

As an aside I was made redundant today, so not in an especially jolly mood. :angry:

• Like 3

I am sorry if my comment could be seen to be advisory as it was certainly not my intention. I have in fact been hit in the face by air rifle pellets more than once, but luckily not in the eye. You will see that I have now edited the offending post. PS I am glad your eye fully recovered.[/size]

As an aside I was made redundant today, so not in an especially jolly mood. :angry: [/size]

I'm sure it wasn't but I'm a bit funny when it comes to stuff like that I apologise if I came across badly.

Im very sorry to hear that lid I know the feeling I was made redundant lately after 10 years as my workplace closed and its heartbreaking!. Hope it all works you well for you matey!!!

Best wishes, tom.

• Like 1

Cheers. I'd just done my 25 years too!

Christ that must be tough I wish you the very best wishes finding your new job, its a difficult time but you never know you may end up with a better job.

Edited by tomburras

Thanks. Sorry to now hijack this thread, but It's surreal. I was put at risk 45 days ago, along with about 150 others in my area (which is IT in - wait for it - Tesco). The annoying thing is that they are not even downsizing. It's a restructure and we allegedly don't fit into the new structure. In fact they were advertising around 245 vacancies in IT at the same time as we were told we had to find a job elsewhere in the company, or we’d be let go. The plus side is that you get a fair package when you've been there as long as I have and I am lucky enough to have a backup plan after I got ill in 2006.

Edited by Lid

:laugh: how's it going fella.

I'm doing ok, Mick. Still saving the planet by fitting insulation. The ice caps are re-freezing and the polar bears and penguins are safe because of me. :laugh::thumbs: I'll give you a call soon. Be good to catch up. :victory:

Lid. I'm sorry if I took your remark out of context. Having read your other replys I can see you take your shooting seriously and rightly so. Safety first. No questions :thumbs:

Shitty news about your job, mate. I hope it works out for you. I've been where you are and it's shit. All the best for the future.

• Like 1

Lid. I'm sorry if I took your remark out of context. Having read your other replys I can see you take your shooting seriously and rightly so. Safety first. No questions :thumbs:

Shitty news about your job, mate. I hope it works out for you. I've been where you are and it's shit. All the best for the future.

Thanks. However I do agree in retrospect that I shouldn't have put it that way.

• Like 2

So guy getting back on topic, can't wait to get my fac hw80 back together with my double delrin ringed piston and fixed spring guide and a load of other tweaks.

Might get it finished this weekend, I'll be like a kid with a new toy.

Hope it shoots better than before!

Hope you pick up a job asap Lid!

C