Fac Air Rifles.......????

Always interesting to read views on these things. Many pros and cons. I personally would not bother, the air consumption is the main issue. A sub 12 will give 50 yards in .177, is easier around buildings and quiet. I managed 23 woodies from a hide this spring with a small BSA Ultra in a few hours, some at 55 yards. A really pleasing morning that was. They didnt spook, all they did was drop as it is silent.

The pellet ballistics are a nightmare in wind, somedays you just cannot shoot.

I would personally opt for .17 rather than FAC pcp. More useful and much more effective.

The bigger caliber may have its place though. Watching Daystate in .303 is interesting, but I think that one needs a while to prove itself.

I suppose it is nice to have the choice and all options. It may suit some for a particular purpose. A bit too niche?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yea I agree definitely don't use on foxes people say would drop them but not a humane kill in my opinion at all! My brother has a fac Rws excaliber it's a insane pice of kit think it's doing about 26

Forget about fox shooting with an air rifle. If you want to shoot a fox get a centre fire on your ticket.

I am sorry if my comment could be seen to be advisory as it was certainly not my intention. I have in fact been hit in the face by air rifle pellets more than once, but luckily not in the eye. You wil

Yea I agree definitely don't use on foxes people say would drop them but not a humane kill in my opinion at all!

My brother has a fac Rws excaliber it's a insane pice of kit think it's doing about 26 ft lbs I've said this on another thread but I dropped a hare at 98 yd stone dead was a shot of a lifetime and I guarantee that's not a tall story I'd get no pleasure from making story's up lol but just shows the insane power and accuracy a quality fac air rifle can achieve so there is a place for fac air imo but can still be viscous for ricochets so goes without saying use correctly and are affective as hell on the out of reach sub 12 shots

• Like 4

Fox is a no, no I agree. Did a test many moons ago. Stuck a ewes head on a pole and shot it with .22 and .177 at different distances. Not one penetrated. Even from twenty yards. Switched to .17 HMR and, you guessed, penetration.

Folks make up plenty of claims for air weapons. Most are just daft.

• Like 1

I'm like Magwitch, never thought about FAC airifles before. The more I look at the FAC air rifles, the more I'm interested in getting one.

I'm not a fan of PCP though.

It's pretty safe to assume that even the PCP ones are single shot guns?

• Like 1

I'm like Magwitch, never thought about FAC airifles before. The more I look at the FAC air rifles, the more I'm interested in getting one.

what do you mean you can only get single shot FAC?

Edited by treecreeper

The only one that appeals in anyway to me is that Wolverine in .303. Even then its only ten shots at around 950 fps. They shoot deer and a boar on various U Tube videos.

I have always liked air weapons, well all weapons if I am honest, I enjoy shooting them as it is a cheap way of shooting as well. That has a great bearing on anybody nowadays does cost of a sport.

It also fills my pot, I use a little Ultra for pigeon and rabbit, the odd other thing in season. Again it is an enjoyable way to shoot as your skills need to be honed to get within short distances.

I still do not really see where FAC in .177 or .22 sits though in the grand scheme. I would rather reach for a rimfire if I was taking stuff at serious distance.

Edited by John Stott

what do you mean you can only get single shot FAC?

I was asking if the FAC Air Rifles were only available as Single Shot.

But JS's post about the Wolverine being 10 shot has answered that question.

Edited by RemyBolt
  • Like 1

Deciding what you want it for first is best. I see some numpties with HFT rifles in the field, others with rifles the size of a house because of the bottle doing club shoots.

Sorry a bit unfair on some but I think folk get hung up on shot count. Most pcp's, the smaller bottled ones, are quite attractive rifles. The shot count varies on say a AAS200 and a BSA Ultra at around 40, up to the 80 odd on a HW100 or AAS400 series with many in between.

For general around the yard pest control and most field work I like carbines. even with a moderator they are short and easy to lug around all day, weighing around 7lbs scoped.

I use a BSA Ultra for hide work and yard work in buildings, a very nice handling rifle. Also an AA S410 for rabbit and walking around the land. That in its Supalite guise is a very, very nice rifle.

I have avoided FAC rated deliberately as I really have no use for them.

Lets be honest if you cannot shoot with this modern kit then you cannot shoot. I also find air rifles offer a freedom from officialdom for many, regulation in some parts has become, well enough said there.

Sorry, rambling on. Still, pick the right rifle for what you want and enjoy shooting, its a great way to pass time.

The problem up here is that they may not evade "officialdom" for much longer.

If you had to put all your air rifles on a "ticket" you would just make them all FAC anyway, wouldn`t you ?

I would keep my little Ratting set-up. It's only a RatCatcher (Crosman 2250) but I have been using it for years, and the lower poundage means a stray shot won't do much damage to the building, and there's a low chance or ricochets. Which is preferable for the proximity that I am usually ratting at.

• Like 1

So what kind of situations would a FAC airifle be preferable over a normal sub 12, but where a 22lr wouldn't be suitable?

I don't think there is one really. Unless you are looking at a rabbit 70 yards away on a windless sunny day. The extra bit of range is no doubt useful on some shots but as I said earlier, I think a pellet is too variable in itself for those ranges.

Anything over 50 yards would be .17 for me, I went off .22 subs years ago after seeing the .17 in action.

Just my opinion but it is down to choice in the end.

• Like 1